Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

B44 slip question

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 08:06 AM
mickvk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B44 slip question

Hello, I can't find an answer in my manual or online. Need to lean on your for some knowledge:

Bought an assembled Associated B44.1 buggy like new, put lots of run time in, car lost it's ability to launch as expected. On the bench found that the front wheels were getting very good power, rear wheels were not getting much power. Under no load, all seems normal - 4 wheels turn. Under no power, the diffs all feel right meaning that if a spin the right rear forward, the left rear spins opposite as expected, no grinding. Same in front. If I hold both rears and turn forward, the front wheels turn forward also. I thought maybe the center slipper needed to be tightened. I gave that a full gorilla. But no change to the symptoms, rear still slips on launch and acceleration is poor (motor is delivering plenty of power, it's just slipping it away somehow, perhaps the rear diff?). Before I take it apart and look further, can you tell me how the front/rear power bias is controlled on a B44.1 or if my guess is right that the rear diff needs maintenance or repair?

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:25 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I would have done the same as you and tightening down the slipper. Having done that, and you still have slipping...you should be hearing an awful noise from that rear diff. No "barking" from the rear?

Last edited by RustyUs; 12-22-2016 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:33 AM
mickvk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RustyUs
I would have done the same as you and tightening down the slipper. Having done that, and you still have slipping...you should be hearing an awful noise from that rear diff. No "barking" from the rear?
Right, tightening the slip did not change the amount of slip to the rear. I suspect that if I loosened the slipper, the front would also slip...
There is no barking at all from the rear diff. However, I just locked the front wheels with a rod. I tried turning the spur and the rears will not slip. (So I gather it's not the center that's slipping. I turned the rear wheels togehter and with some effort that rear diff appears to be slipping (but no barking.). Okay I think you've helped me figure out where to dig in, thanks a lot man!
Old 12-24-2016, 06:21 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

No weird noises...then rear diff must be super loose? New T-nut is in order I guess.

I normally reuse T-nuts twice, in a diff rebuild, taking great care to make sure thrust bolt is oil/grease free where T-nut grabs it. After reusing the nut a few times (yes I'm frugal in that respect), I feel they tend to loose their gripping power.