Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

lipo pack sizes that work with 60a esc.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 12:43 PM
Tootie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lipo pack sizes that work with 60a esc.

all stock Redcat terremoto 10 v2. Yes I'm new to the game...
I do have a hobby grade heli but I have always used stock extra batteries being that it is a brushed motor. Any help please would be appreciated.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:26 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Not sure what you mean by LiPo pack sizes. Capacity? How many cells? I'm thinking the Redcat 60A ESC will say 2S~3S LiPo compatible. Measure battery compartment, then pick your favorite brand of battery. Pick your capacity. Check the specs on the battery measurements.

Last edited by RustyUs; 12-31-2016 at 03:42 PM. Reason: wording
Old 12-31-2016, 05:11 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are new then stick with a 2-cell lipo as that will be plenty. Don't run a 3-cell as it will blow that and most redcat trucks apart as soon as you hit the throttle.
Use something like a Venom 2-cell 5000mah 25c pack and you will get around 40min of run time. Make sure you use a LiPo balance charger too!
Old 12-31-2016, 06:19 PM
Tootie

Ok thanks! What about the C ratings how high can I go up with that and what could it damage? I know that the mAh is the amount of electricity stored in the pack. Meaning longer run times but I do need more power for the snow and jumps. Just cause I have the 3s power.... I sure won't use full throttle all that often. And I'm curious do I stay with a 7.4v or go up to an 11v?
Old 12-31-2016, 09:15 PM
flyinwalenda

Buy the largest "C" rated pack you can:
A) Afford and
B) Fit in the battery tray

11 volts is a 3-cell lipo.

Here is some bedtime reading!
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/elec...ic-flight.html
Old 01-02-2017, 01:57 PM
Tootie

Ok the box for the Terremoto says it's an 80amp ESC. For some reason I thought it was a 60amp.
Flyin... are you being serious? Going to big can damage the ESC and motor. I quess I'm looking for a battery size that would work good without possible damage. Anyone out there run one of these Terremoto's on 3s?
Old 01-02-2017, 02:19 PM
flyinwalenda

You are a beginner.

I recommended running a 2-cell pack.

If you want to run a 3-cell then be my guest !
Old 01-02-2017, 11:06 PM
Tootie

Running these trucks isn't the problem, learning the lipos is a bit confusing with what the ECS' s and motors can handle is really what is new to me. Sorry for the confusion. I'm just looking for the right combo without hurting anything...
Old 01-03-2017, 12:18 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What he means by getting the largest C-rated pack you can, is that the higher the discharge C-rating, the better the pack performs, or rather, makes the truck perform. While the mAh rating is an indicator of how much charge a pack can hold, the C rating is an indicator of how fast the cells can discharge that energy. (That is not to say how fast they will run out) What you would notice between a 25C pack and a 50 or 60C pack is the feeling that the 50C pack is more powerful. Feels like it has more "oomph", ya know? That assumes the ESC and motor system can take advantage of that higher C rating.

Say you were using a 2S 25C Lipo in a car that had a 60 Amp motor system rating. If you put a 50C pack in that car, you might notice a little extra scoot. But if you ran that 25C in a car with a 120 Amp system, then ran the 50C pack, you would REALLY notice the difference. So, you kind of have to figure how much that higher C rating is worth to you and your car, cuz a 5000mah 50C pack is going to cost more than a 5000mah 25C pack. Can the car use that extra punch? then it may be worth it. It's not worth buying a 60C pack if your car and motor system can't take advantage of it.
The following users liked this post:
Staff6615 (03-15-2022)
Old 01-03-2017, 04:07 PM
Tootie

So what could an 80 amp ESC and I think a 3,000kv motor run for 3s?
Old 01-03-2017, 04:58 PM
EXT2Rob

A 5000mah 2S1P 50C+

What's 2S1P? Basically means two 5000mah 3.7V single cell Lipos in parallel. Which is what you want. Don't buy packs that are 2S2P. Which is actually four 2500mah cells in series and parallel. Not as good.

But you're talking about 3S. So, 3S1P.
http://www.genstattu.com/gens-ace-70...eans-plug.html
Old 01-11-2017, 09:37 AM
The Saylors

If you are really wanting to try 3s then get a single pack, but be warned! These guys are right when they say that the car may very well not handle the strain. To me it's more of a money factor, if you can afford to rebuild portions of the car every other pack then 3s can be hilarious, but if money is tight you will be much happier with the 2s. The only time i can take advantage of the extra cell is on flat ground speed runs, on a track it will just make you spin in the corners, until you get really good anyway. I know it seems confusing but once you have tried a few different types of packs then you will learn what is appropriate for the car you have. I run mostly 3s BUT i have spent a lot in upgrades to make it so that the drivetrain, tires, axles, and suspension can all handle the ridiculous power and the resulting force on the truck that the packs will dish out. I have had many play days that ended in a couple of minutes due to a break until i had the car dialed in. Just my $0.02

Also not sure if anyone has told you yet but welcome to the forum! A lot of nice and knowledgeable guys here!

Alex
Old 01-11-2017, 11:23 PM
M1K33EE

Hi there,
I just had to say thanks for that clear explanation of lipo naming conventions. Lipo is new to me since I last 'played' Tamiya etc. I tried to find out on Google but I didn't know what I should ask to get the answer I need. I've only just joined, literally minutes ago and I just happened to notice this topic listed.
I've just come back after placing an order with my preferred store for 2S1P now I know what it means.
Thanks again.
Michael
Old 01-12-2017, 07:04 AM
EXT2Rob

Cool! Glad we could help. Let us know how that battery works out. What brand did you buy? And what'd you pay?
Old 01-12-2017, 03:39 PM
ZR2guy

When running 2S, optonal upgrades remain pretty much that...... optional. On the other hand, with 3S, optional upgrades become necessary. Walk before you run.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:02 AM
Tootie

All you guys are AWESOME! Thank you for the great info and conversations. Keep it going on this thread.... as you can see anyone looking for this helpful info may come through.

M1K33ee, what brand and size did you get. Put up a link! I might be interested.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:12 AM
ZR2guy

Don't know about everyone else that has posted here but I use Gens Ace, more specific, 2S 5000 mah 50/100 C. Have 3 of them I use in my truck.
http://www.genstattu.com/
Old 03-15-2022, 08:16 AM
Staff6615

Default Help

[Hi you seem to know your stuff on batterys and esc I I'm running a hobbywing just stock 60a/380a esc
With a hobby wing xerun v10 17.5 t motor

At present I'm running a 5500 50c gens battery but need a bit extra power as I'm constantly running 2nd place do you know what would he the best battery capacity and c rating , I run 5 racing at 5 min races

cheers

I'm looking to run a 2s 120c 5200amh will this fry the esc QUOTE=EXT2Rob;12292332]What he means by getting the largest C-rated pack you can, is that the higher the discharge C-rating, the better the pack performs, or rather, makes the truck perform. While the mAh rating is an indicator of how much charge a pack can hold, the C rating is an indicator of how fast the cells can discharge that energy. (That is not to say how fast they will run out) What you would notice between a 25C pack and a 50 or 60C pack is the feeling that the 50C pack is more powerful. Feels like it has more "oomph", ya know? That assumes the ESC and motor system can take advantage of that higher C rating.

Say you were using a 2S 25C Lipo in a car that had a 60 Amp motor system rating. If you put a 50C pack in that car, you might notice a little extra scoot. But if you ran that 25C in a car with a 120 Amp system, then ran the 50C pack, you would REALLY notice the difference. So, you kind of have to figure how much that higher C rating is worth to you and your car, cuz a 5000mah 50C pack is going to cost more than a 5000mah 25C pack. Can the car use that extra punch? then it may be worth it. It's not worth buying a 60C pack if your car and motor system can't take advantage of it.[/QUOTE]
help
Old 03-15-2022, 08:52 AM
EXT2Rob

A 5500mah 50C is pretty stout. And a pretty good match for your system. Before you fork out for a new battery, ask a friend who may have a higher C rated pack, if you can borrow it for a test run. See if you notice any difference. If you do, then a higher C pack might be beneficial to you. Batteries aren't cheap. See if you can "try before you buy".