Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

FM radios? what happened?old rustler

Old 01-04-2017, 07:53 AM
Greenthumbs22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FM radios? what happened?old rustler

I took a 5 or 6 yr break from rc. Pulled out my original e - rustler and realized that the rustler is still popular. At first thought i was like..yay me, im still sorta up to date. Wrong, it cost me about a hundred canadian to update the transmission to the same specs as newer vxl, with the new rpm gear box. On my last visit to the hobby store, the sales assoiate asked if i had a radio, i said yep, with confidance lol..i proceeded to tell him ive got a nice JR Fm radio.. he snickered and laughed.. i asked why the chuckles? he says "you should not have any problems with people jumping in on your signal cuz no one uses fm or am anymore " that kid made me feel old and outdated lol. Whats wrong with Fm?
Old 01-04-2017, 12:07 PM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Nothing at all. The AM crowd were laughed at by the FM crowd, the PCM crowd looked down at their noses at the FM folks as being superior, and where are they today? 2.4 has had a few type of modulation come out every 2 years or so. A guy showed off his Hitec Flash 8, and now every week he needs help programming his plane. Not very user friendly in many cases. When the JR needs service, that service charge will be incentive for a new radio.

Radios have changed a lot in the past 5 years and the prices are lower and lower without stripping features away. I feel bad for all the people that jumped on one 2.4 technology to just see it disappear and a new one came out later. So laugh back at him. I always do.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:39 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Nothing wrong with FM radios. Heck, I just got rid of my only non 2.4ghz transmitter (Futaba AM radio) about two years ago. I would have kept it, but when friends/family come over to run my RCs, the antenna was frightening too long with kids/everyone gathered so close together. It was time to move on with that oldie but goodie.