Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Help with new ESC

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 08:26 PM
Josh_Br

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with new ESC

Hi,
I just got a SC10. It's RTR and came with an SC550 ESC. I have been having a hard time getting it to work. The radio and receiver are bound, and the steering works. The ESC sometimes works when I have it set to NiMh mode and use these old Tower Hobbies battery packs I have. However, it will not work at all when I have it set to LiPo mode and try to use a very new LiPo battery. That battery is by Horizon Hobby, it's 2S, 20C, 1800 mAh. It was only $20, but it works fine in my old RC10T3. FYI, I did snip off the Dean's plug that came on the ESC in the SC10 and install a Tamiya plug. I know it's a downgrade, but all of my other plugs are Tamiya. I don't get why it works with the old NiMh batteries but not the new LiPo. Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:40 PM
Josh_Br

Also, FYI, I did try removing the Tamiya plug from the ESC, and sticking the wires right into the plug from the batteries. It worked with the old NiMh but not the new LiPo.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:27 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Welcome to RCU.

I don't know if I can help. I'd would first make sure battery is fully charged; put transmitter throttle trim in neutral position, then see if ESC is calibrated before calling it a dud.

Any LED lighting up, or tone/sound when powering on?

I'd like to say it's as simple as replacing the ESC under warranty, but snipping the T-plug off may interfere with a return.

Last edited by RustyUs; 01-12-2017 at 04:09 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:08 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
I would say you have connection issues and/or a bad LiPo pack.

If it worked intermittently with the Tamiya plug on with the NiMh packs but worked well when you just stuck the bare wires in then that is a connector/connection issue. Solder the ends on just don't crimp them.

The other issue could be the pack. You are adjusting the cut-off voltage when changing the jumper from NiMh to LiPo. If the LiPo is bad or too low the esc will stop the motor from running in LiPo mode.

If the LiPo pack is not running the motor when the jumper is in LiPo try moving the jumper to NiMh and test it with the LiPo pack. If it runs then pack is not fully charged or it has issues.
Also try the NiMh pack with the jumper set to LiPo and see if it runs.

What are you using to charge this LiPo?
Old 01-12-2017, 05:26 AM
Josh_Br

Originally Posted by RustyUs
Welcome to RCU.

I don't know if I can help. I'd would first make sure battery is fully charged; put transmitter throttle trim in neutral position, then see if ESC is calibrated before calling it a dud.

Any LED lighting up, or tone/sound when powering on?

I'd like to say it's as simple as replacing the ESC under warranty, but snipping the T-plug off may interfere with a return.

I'm pretty sure the battery is fully charged (the LiPo). No, the ESC does nothing at all - no lights or sounds at all. But the receiver is getting power from it, because the steering works.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:31 AM
Josh_Br

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Hi,
I would say you have connection issues and/or a bad LiPo pack.

If it worked intermittently with the Tamiya plug on with the NiMh packs but worked well when you just stuck the bare wires in then that is a connector/connection issue. Solder the ends on just don't crimp them.

The other issue could be the pack. You are adjusting the cut-off voltage when changing the jumper from NiMh to LiPo. If the LiPo is bad or too low the esc will stop the motor from running in LiPo mode.

If the LiPo pack is not running the motor when the jumper is in LiPo try moving the jumper to NiMh and test it with the LiPo pack. If it runs then pack is not fully charged or it has issues.
Also try the NiMh pack with the jumper set to LiPo and see if it runs.

What are you using to charge this LiPo?

Thanks for the idea; I'll mess around with changing the setting to the opposite of what the pack actually is and see what happens.

I've been wanting to change all of my stuff over to Dean's plugs. I think I'll go ahead and do that, too, and see if that helps anything with this truck.

Thanks for you guys' advice!
Old 01-12-2017, 09:37 AM
The Saylors

I'm not sure if it's the case for that esc as i don't have it but i have something else for you to try that i have to do with my veleniom esc on my slash. When i put in a pack and immediately push the power button the esc will light up and then the light will go out a second or two later. When the light is on i have steering and partial throttle and then it quits. I found that if i plug in the pack and let the car sit for 30 seconds then everything powers up properly and i have no issues for the day. I'm wondering if the capacitors on the esc need a few seconds of juice to power on and stay on (i'm am not an electrician btw so this is only a guess). Other than that i would think that an esc issue is the culprit.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:05 PM
Josh_Br

Originally Posted by The Saylors
I'm not sure if it's the case for that esc as i don't have it but i have something else for you to try that i have to do with my veleniom esc on my slash. When i put in a pack and immediately push the power button the esc will light up and then the light will go out a second or two later. When the light is on i have steering and partial throttle and then it quits. I found that if i plug in the pack and let the car sit for 30 seconds then everything powers up properly and i have no issues for the day. I'm wondering if the capacitors on the esc need a few seconds of juice to power on and stay on (i'm am not an electrician btw so this is only a guess). Other than that i would think that an esc issue is the culprit.

Thanks for the suggestion. I gave it a try a couple times, but to no avail.

Tonight I put a Dean's plug back on the ESC, but it didn't make any difference. I also went to my LHS tonight. They were kind enough to help me out and try a few different LiPo batteries from behind the counter, but the ESC did not work at all with any of them. A friend who was there spent some time messing with it, but couldn't get anywhere with it, either. I ended up buying a $30 Arrma (?) ESC because I really wanted to drive it. That ESC worked great, and it drove nicely. I'm going to try to submit a warranty claim to Team Associated. If they will replace it, I can use it to replace the stock ESC in my older RC10T3. Thanks guys for your help and suggestions, I appreciate them all!