Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

Sand viper d20: Metal diff, spur and counter gear upgrade ??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Sand viper d20: Metal diff, spur and counter gear upgrade ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 12:02 PM
kreelius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sand viper d20: Metal diff, spur and counter gear upgrade ??

Hallo and happy new year to you all !!

Ok so im back. My eyes are tired, my brains a bit fried. After trying all search avenues and ive hit a dead end. So im wondering if im actually looking for a Unicorn...

As some of you will know from my earlier post, ive bought a Tamiya Sand Viper for my daughter. Its all good, it runs well, but im looking to make it bullet proof. As per my earlier thread, ive amped it up as stock with a 35c 3s Lipo battery. After overcoming an earlier possible disaster where there car stopped working and made an un-holy whining noise from the gear set, im happy to say it was only down to the original builder not tightening the pinion gear dog screw properly. Ive corrected this now with a bit of thread glue, and after the heart stopping belief id stripped the gears, i can safely say its functioning fine.

The issue i have right now is im slowly trying to make the car bullet proof bit by bit. Ive been looking at suspension upgrades, dampers, which i will replace as and when they fail.

However, as the car is running a lot more power then it was designed for, id like to replace what look like pretty lame plastic gear set with full metal gears through out. This includes the spur, counter gear and diff assembly. It already has a metal tamiya gear pinion, but ive read somewhere that the alloy the stock pinion is made from is pretty soft, i will probably just replace this too to be on the safe side.

So heres the fly in my soup. Ive trawled the net and i cannot find, from the USA to China, anywhere to obtain this full metal gear upgrade. Does it exist? Am I looking for a Unicorn? Is there another compatible part from another line that i should be searching for? I am really at the end of my rope, and i dont give in easily. Hopefully ive not wasted so much time, and you great peeps are going to be able to point me in the right direction.

The teeth ratios are:

Pinion: 17T
Counter/Spur: 55T-19T
Diff: (havnt had this out to count, but assume it can be calculated from the above)

Thanks for reading, and thanks for any help in advance

Mike
Old 01-23-2017, 12:47 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your best bet is to post in a Tamiya forum to ask that question. You need a "Tamiya guy" to answer that. Shoot, there's probably a forum on Tamiya's website.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:19 PM
seedygreenute

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks like it runs .8 mod pitch gears throughout the drivetrain , but no slipper . They are pretty strong gears . If you don't go from reverse to full throttle forward or vica versa , they should last a while . If you want to upgrade the stock pinion , you should be able to find a stronger one . 32P gears are compatible.