Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

New to this and got a project i need a hand with.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 03:16 PM
zorak11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to this and got a project i need a hand with.

Hello guys,
I am new to the world of RC building and need a hand with an assignment for my course.

We have to design and build a car that will operate automatically and will need to complete some what of an offroad terrain obstacle course. (similar to the land rover RC 4x4 challenge) this track is straight. there are hills, bumps, tilts and a sand section.

physical properties:
max width=150mm
max length= 500mm
max weight=10Kg

max opertationg voltage is 12 V
control board has a max voltage of 9V
need to have sensors which will indicate when the vehicle is tilted at 10 and 20 degree.

also we will have a delicate object within the car(egg i think)
not allowed to use a track drive system.

We have a budget of £27 (can spend abit more)
have got some wheels at the moment and this worm motor rapidonline.com/rvfm-worm-drive-gearbox-with-motor-37-0310[/url] we have a few weeks to build this. also we have got a genie board and arduino board to use
Old 02-19-2017, 11:20 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Interesting. RC vehicle that operates automatically...artificial intelligence...taking the control out of the remote. Reminds me of a time when one of buggy's receiver batteries died. Buggy had a mind of it's own, and went on it's merry way...automatically . I got no input for this project other than I'd opt for something that would be along the lines of a crawler, and add sensors.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:30 AM
The Saylors

This is a pretty cool project! Do you know or have you been provided a guidance mechanism? Or is it a locked up drivetrain situation where you turn it on and try set it down a straight as possible and hope for the best? If it were me i would run a thin line from start to finish and rig up a sub frame to connect to it to the steering bell cranks that way your wheels are always pointed the right way. but you may mean this needs to be done completely electronically which would be tougher. I can think of a few ideas but that price mark makes it tough :/ Maybe find a junk car that you can make move and spend the money on the guidance? Either way keep us posted, would be a cool competition to watch! Oh and welcome to the forum btw!
Old 02-22-2017, 01:05 PM
zorak11

we just set the car at the start and just hope for the best, the sides has raised edges
Old 02-23-2017, 09:38 AM
The Saylors

if the sides are smooth then i would put a smooth flat plastic disc on the outside of the wheels just small enough to allow the tread to touch the dirt. That way if it does hit the edge it will prevent the side walls of the tires from trying to climb the border. Better to bounce off then to go out of bounds or flip over.