Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

NIMH battery question

Old 03-18-2017, 07:54 AM
oldbassard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NIMH battery question

Hey Gang

I recently bought the Axial Grave Digger for my grandson. I have never had any experience with the 9.6V Nimh battery. So I am wondering if there might be any problems using one in this truck. It comes with an AE-5 Tactic receiver. Any answers appreciated
Old 03-18-2017, 09:28 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll be fine. What kind of charger do you have? If it's a wall-wart charger, do your grandson a favor, and get a REAL charger so he doesn't have to wait two or three hours for the pack to charge up. (Actually, NiMhs prefer to be left in a CHARGED state, unlike LiPo) A good charger that can charge both NiMhs and Lipos can be had for $50, and will charge a depleted pack in under an hour. You buying from a local hobby shop, or online?
Old 03-19-2017, 06:55 AM
oldbassard

I have a Passport Ultra charger and thanks for your answer.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:37 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by oldbassard

Hey Gang

I recently bought the Axial Grave Digger for my grandson. I have never had any experience with the 9.6V Nimh battery. So I am wondering if there might be any problems using one in this truck. It comes with an AE-5 Tactic receiver. Any answers appreciated
My concern would be how the battery compartment accepts "hump" style battery packs. The top "roll bars" of the chassis/battery compartment might interfere with a tight/secure fit? If worse comes to worst, I'm sure Velcro straps could be used to secure battery, and prevent vertical movement.

Not sure about reference to the receiver, but the speed control will step down the voltage supplied to the receiver/servo.

Since you are using NiMh batteries with the Grave Digger, you will more than likely have to move the "jumper" (to the right on the ESC) to turn off the LVC (Low Voltage Cutoff).
Old 03-19-2017, 09:31 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not knowing what style of 9.6 pack you have, unless it's a stick-style pack it will not fit in the battery cage. The truck is designed to run on a typical 2 or 3 cell LiPo car pack or a 7.2 or 8.4 v NiMh stick pack.

You will also need to make sure your pack has a Deans connector or "T" connector on it.

As mentioned you will also have to move the jumper on the ESC from LiPo to NiMh.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:56 AM
oldbassard

The battery compartment is adjustable so you can pretty much use what ever battery you like. Seems Axial was on top of that, as I understand all their trucks are made that way.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:32 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adjustable to the point of fitting a higher battery. BUT the rear body mount support will still be in the way. 43 -44mm is about the max height.