Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 06:35 AM
launchpad51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting out

Hello out there;
The problem I am faced with has me baffled.My truck is a rustler with Assassin esc and a c3600 novatech bl motor.It was running fine the it has an issue.When I take it for a run it will go about 100 yards then cut out.I wait 20 seconds and it starts up again,travels 100 yards and dies.Anyone have any idea what would cause it to do this.I am leaning towards an esc problem even though the steering works.....
Help......
Old 04-10-2017, 02:58 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

What battery are you running?
Old 04-11-2017, 05:39 AM
launchpad51

The same one i have used many times;it is a 7.4 volt 5200 mah lipo battery.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:09 PM
RustyUs

Maybe check connectors/wires to the motor since you still have power to receiver/servo. With no other help from LEDs showing you any signs to go with, I'd swap out the ESC with one that is known to be good.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:37 PM
DieHarder

I'm not familiar with the ESC, but Low Voltage Cutoff (LVC) maybe? Most ESCs go into LVC and can't be returned to running status without a physical reset or unplugging of the battery. Although, on a few of my RCs, the ESC is constantly monitoring voltage (perhaps yours refreshes every 20 seconds) and if the battery is flowing enough current to drop its voltage at the time the ESC checks, it can send it into LVC. Once the ESC checks the voltage after another 20 seconds and sees that its back above LVC (because the battery isn't under much load and will have a higher voltage), it shuts off LVC and allows you to continue driving. Assuming your 5200 is fully charged, the problem could be that the ESC has its LVC setup for 3S instead of 2S.

Some ESCs go by individual cell voltage too and are often adjustable, so that could be set too high.

This is just a theory, something you might want to check into.

In any event, the problem sounds very likely to be ESC related, at least to me.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:29 PM
RustyUs

DieHarder, that ^^^ (LVC) was my initial thought as well, and why I ask about batter usage.

Another thought...overheat protection has kicked in and the 20 seconds is enough to cool the ESC down and resume operation?
Launchpad51, is the ESC heatsink hot when your "cutting out" occurs?
Old 04-12-2017, 04:38 AM
launchpad51

i did not check to see if it was hot or not.i have a temperature gauge that i will use.i tried another esc and same thing.i will try to reprogram the esc later and will get back to you with results.also i checked all the wiring had to redo 2 wires as they were frayed so i cleaned the wires and put shrink tubing to cover bare wires that was for the steering .it was running fine the last time i used it.hopefully i sort this out soon as my granddaughter want to do some bashing.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:50 PM
launchpad51

High all;
I have tried everything suggested here and nothing worked except the steering that works fine.i took the steering plug and put it in throttle place.i took the throttle line and put in steering slot.the darn thing worked except i had to use the steering knob to control throttle.this is really frustrating me to know end.if anyone has any input please send me solutions. Thankyou
Old 04-17-2017, 05:52 AM
launchpad51

no its not.........
Old 04-18-2017, 06:03 PM
RustyUs

I got no other ideas
If the ESC is new, I'd call manufacturer and tell them what's happening in your situation. Always get them involved ASAP to speed up getting replacement. If the ESC is used and abused, then I'd pick up a HobbyWing Quicrun, or EZRun 60A ESC.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:31 AM
launchpad51

Default cutting out

hi there;
i have contacted the manufacture and they asked me to send them the esc.they will check it and get back to me.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:11 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

If you had the same issue with two different esc then maybe it is the tx/rx set? Do you have different gear to swap that out? Or did your esc already get mailed?
Old 05-08-2017, 08:16 AM
jimjeep

Sounds like you may be having a "brown-out" condition happening to the receiver from the power it gets from the ESC. Sometimes the ESC and motor can demand so much power all at once from the battery that it causes the power being fed to the receiver to drop causing the "brown-out". Does this happen when driving the vehicle around at low speeds on a smooth level surface? Have you tried different LiPo batteries or just one? Is there a capacitor bank on the ESC? Is there a separate capacitor plugged into the receiver?