Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Earthquake 8E upgrading batteries

Old 05-07-2017, 11:16 AM
Dirtslingerss38

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Earthquake 8E upgrading batteries

Hey everyone, I just bought my redcat 8e earthquake and want to get a longer lasting batteries and I am not sure what to get. And I know the 5800mah 7.4 is better but what about 2 11.1 can I do that ? And I have read anything over 30c is not good. Can anyone just give me a idea of what I can and cant do. I am new to the rc world so take it easy on me. Thanks

Last edited by Dirtslingerss38; 05-07-2017 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Missing word
Old 05-07-2017, 04:10 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I'd check with your ESC, and motor specs before trying to put 6S LiPo power in your truck. I'll bet both the ESC and motor are only rated up to 4S LiPo packs. That being said, two 2S 5000mAh 40C LiPo packs is what I would go with. Of course you could always go out and get higher discharge rated packs as well. I'm sure 5000mAh is quite a bit more capacity than what the Earthquake 8E came with. You could get slightly larger packs with more capacity, but 5000mAh pack are usually found at a good price.

I don't know where you are reading info on "C" ratings, but having a higher discharge "C" rated pack would be my recommendation. 40C minimum is my general rule of thumb for a 1/8 scale RCs.
http://www.rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide/
Understanding RC LiPo Batteries
Lipo battery Introduction - mrpositive.co.nz

Last edited by RustyUs; 05-07-2017 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Wording/Spelling
Old 05-07-2017, 04:27 PM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by Dirtslingerss38
Hey everyone, I just bought my redcat 8e earthquake and want to get a longer lasting batteries and I am not sure what to get. And I know the 5800mah 7.4 is better but what about 2 11.1 can I do that ? And I have read anything over 30c is not good. Can anyone just give me a idea of what I can and cant do. I am new to the rc world so take it easy on me. Thanks
I'm assuming you meant you wanted longer run times, and not just better quality batteries.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:16 PM
Dirtslingerss38

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah that's what I was looking for longer run time. I was looking at the hex fly 30c 5800mah 7.4 v but. There is a also a hard case gen ace 7000mah as well. But I just want to get the best there is for my rc that last the longest. Thank you for helping
Old 05-08-2017, 06:58 AM
RustyUs

For me, having many mid~high capacity packs is a good option. 15~25 minutes of RCing, and I'm good...before the next round begins . If I have another battery, or set of batteries, the time between inserting/strapping them in also gives me a chance to let the ESC/motor to cool down a bit. Not to mention, it also gives me time to check out any small problem areas of my RC platform that I'm currently running.

Sometimes super high capacity packs, with lower "C" rating, may be about the same price as high capacity packs with a higher "C" rating (5000mAh is high capacity to me ).

Buying two super high capacity 2S packs (like 7000mAh) vs. four high capacity 2S (5000mAh) packs...it's balance of give, and take. How many times a person will run their RC in a day....Maybe charging is an issue as well? I don't know. All depends on how a person looks at it.

Good luck; shop around; get out there, and throw some dirt!