Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Converting Losi 8ight Nitro to Electric

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 03:08 AM
quickrun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting Losi 8ight Nitro to Electric

So i have been into the hobby for awhile now, but ive been reluctantly wanting to goto electric. But ive finally decided to get me a couple electrics and have loved them! And i have been tossing around the idea of converting my old Losi 8ight into electric and seeing as im still relatively new to "electric" i was wanting some opinions.

As the title suggests im wanting to convert my Losi 8ight to electric, I see the conversion kit that Losi provides, and was going to keep the controller and receiver as is, but obviously will need to swap out all the nitro for a new motor and esc, and so was thinking of this combo (Tekin RX8 GEN3/Redline T8 GEN2 1/8 Truggy Brushless ESC/Motor Combo (1350kV) Now i know a little bit about the KV rating (lower kv more torque = less top speed) but im wanting to do a 6s battery in the Losi mainly because a buddy of mine is getting a arrma 1/8 kraton 6s. And so wanting to sort of keep up with it.

So my question is, with this combo (esc/motor) and setup for 6s, is it overkill? or should i just stick with a 4s combo? and still be able to keep up with my buddy's kraton?
Old 05-20-2017, 06:48 AM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

I still run 4S mostly because I run a cheaper HobbyWing ESC that is limited to 4S, if money was no object then you can't beat a proper 6S setup which will run more efficiently with cooler temps, faster acceleration and longer run times. You can always gear up if you need more speed too
Old 05-21-2017, 07:08 AM
quickrun

Awesome thank you.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:03 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Just gotta look at specs when picking out motors. 1400kv seems about right for running 6S packs. 1900~2200kv would just be insane IMO! Also gotta factor in what type of running you will be mainly doing.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:08 AM
quickrun

mainly some friendly racing with my buddy on his track and some bashing. The only reason for doing the 6s would be to keep up with him if he gets a kraton. but someone else suggested to me at a local track that just doing 4s on 2650kv would do just as well and be a significant price difference cheaper than a 6s, cause i would still have to get me some 6s, where as 4s i already have 4.
Old 04-11-2022, 10:11 AM
JasonKurtz

Default Losi e conversion issues

I have a Losi 8ight t 2.0 that I put the e conversion on. It’s a arrma 2050kv brushless and esc running a four cell. The aluminum mount for the motor keeps coming loose after ever race, or the screws just come all the way out. Anyone had this issue and how can it be fixed.
Old 07-26-2022, 06:55 PM
Aaron L.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a track you'll likely be much faster running 4S instead of 6S. MUCH more controlable.

In racing, 1/8 scale buggies and truggies are limited to 4S........for good reason. 6S is just silly in an 8th scale buggy. Crazy fun at times........but silly.