RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Can one judge the quality of a brand based on a single Crawler?

Old 06-06-2017, 09:56 AM
suds79

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Can one judge the quality of a brand based on a single Crawler?

Hi. New to the forum so sorry if this has been discussed. Although since my question is kinda odd, I'd be surprised if it has been.

Only a year in RC and in that time, I've picked up 3 RC trucks in that time. A used Exceed Rally Monster (1/10 SCT) $65 craiglist), Helion Verdikt (1/12 SCT) $85 Hobbytown) & Redcat Everest 10 (1/10 Crawler) $120something amain).

I'm actually really impressed with the Verdikt (durable and just as fast as the exceed) & Everest 10. The Exceed not so much. It just breaks too easily. Thinking of upgrading to a somewhat nicer 1/10 SCT. As you can tell from my vehicle history, I'm not looking to spend $399 on a SCT. if so, I'd probably just get a 4wd slash and call it a day.

Back to my main question. The Redcat Everest 10 (a crawler) I couldn't be happier with. It's durable and works every time. It simply has been great and I generally consider it my best RC.

Is is a reasonable comparison to look at that Crawler and form the opinion that Redcat, while i hear back in the day not so much, makes some solid products? I could give their Blackout (either the monster truck or SCT. I don't know which yet) a try. I'm at lest eyeing them. Or is it more reasonable to say "Of course it hasn't broken on you. It goes walking speed at most and therefore harder to break."

I understand one needs to simply do their research on a specific vehicle they're looking. Whew... getting long winded. In short, would it be a bad idea to form or base an opinion about a company based on their Crawler? Are a lot of crawlers simply reliable given their slow nature?

Thanks.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:00 PM
RustyUs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by suds79 View Post
Hi. New to the forum so sorry if this has been discussed. Although since my question is kinda odd, I'd be surprised if it has been.

Only a year in RC and in that time, I've picked up 3 RC trucks in that time. A used Exceed Rally Monster (1/10 SCT) $65 craiglist), Helion Verdikt (1/12 SCT) $85 Hobbytown) & Redcat Everest 10 (1/10 Crawler) $120something amain).

I'm actually really impressed with the Verdikt (durable and just as fast as the exceed) & Everest 10. The Exceed not so much. It just breaks too easily. Thinking of upgrading to a somewhat nicer 1/10 SCT. As you can tell from my vehicle history, I'm not looking to spend $399 on a SCT. if so, I'd probably just get a 4wd slash and call it a day.

Back to my main question. The Redcat Everest 10 (a crawler) I couldn't be happier with. It's durable and works every time. It simply has been great and I generally consider it my best RC.

Is is a reasonable comparison to look at that Crawler and form the opinion that Redcat, while i hear back in the day not so much, makes some solid products? I could give their Blackout (either the monster truck or SCT. I don't know which yet) a try. I'm at lest eyeing them. Or is it more reasonable to say "Of course it hasn't broken on you. It goes walking speed at most and therefore harder to break."

I understand one needs to simply do their research on a specific vehicle they're looking. Whew... getting long winded. In short, would it be a bad idea to form or base an opinion about a company based on their Crawler? Are a lot of crawlers simply reliable given their slow nature?

Thanks.
Research? Yes. And then research again. That's the single most important thing you can do. Next up would be to make sure parts are in supply. Some Redcat/Exceed/HSP platforms intertwine and are re-branded. Being around RCs for awhile, there are some areas of a RC that I look at as "must haves". Redcat Racing has made some progress over the years, and their price point is attractive. Tower Hobbies and Hobby Town/A Main jumping on board with selling the brand...that's good news. Right?

I'm guilty of running low budget gear at times. Sometimes it pays off, and sometimes I chalk it up as a learning experience. Hobby grade RCs are meant to be ran, and when they break, you can repair them. Rinse and repeat. Some platforms break more than others, and a lot of times it's because of an over excited user pushing the limits too far. What are those limits? Plastic composition, metal quality, stamped/milled components, tolerances...etc. all play a part in what you are getting "in the box".

Get out there and throw some dirt!

Last edited by RustyUs; 06-06-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:07 AM
The Saylors

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For the most part i hear bad feedback about redcat stuff tbh. They just seem less durable than most brands. What you save in the beginning always seems to catch up to you in the end when it comes to this hobby (most of the time anyway, there are exceptions out there). Like rusty said, do your research! Often times companies will have good cars and also have duds because of design issues. See what people are experiencing with the model that your interested in. What i often do is look mostly at the bad reviews on the vehicle i'm looking at because that is where people are often talking about weak points that they had trouble with. This can give you a really good idea of what to expect in the worst case scenario. I also like to check out review/unboxing/running vids on youtube as well. If you can find knowledgable video posters the info they give you can be very valuable. just like with real cars sometimes people get lemons so don't let one bad review turn you off of a car, always look at the full picture! As for your question about crawlers being durable, yes the way slower speed means a lot less broken parts so basing brand durability off of one crawler is unwise. Usually i try not to form an opinion about a brand until i see a large enough sample of their vehicles so as to keep it fair.

Last edited by The Saylors; 06-07-2017 at 08:13 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:49 PM
DriveForFun

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Blackout

I own the blackout 4wd SCT. Fun truck and mine has been good to me. Ive upgraded to brushless and the drivetrain has been bulletproof. Still running original gears all around i believe. I had to replace the chassis ($15??) Due to the aarm mount breaking...actually a repair was working fine when i finally swapped out the chassis, but it wouod have needed it eventually. Id call that a design flaw, but really, i spent maybe $25 - $30 on repairs on the thing in a year or so. I had a 2wd slash for awhile and had -0- problems, but i sold it as it not quite as fun to bash around, especially in grass and for children.

Search this Thread