Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

Electric mountain board anti-spark plug/co burnt - advice needed

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Electric mountain board anti-spark plug/co burnt - advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 03:43 PM
nunchaku101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric mountain board anti-spark plug/co burnt - advice needed

Hello
I'm new to this forum but I was hoping for a little help with a project I have.
I made an electric mountainboard, the video is here
and I had a little problem with it.

My setup is as follows.

ESCs: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-tra ... r-esc.html
Bullet connectors/Anti spark plugs (Red attaching cable connectors)

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/7mm-as150-a ... pairs.html

Bullet connectors to connect motors to ESCs: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/8mm-gold-co ... -pack.html

UBEC: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-5a- ... -lipo.html

I had been running at 14V / 4s as initially I had bought parallel connectors rather than series connectors due to not paying attention to what I was buying. My board had been going well, I had been using the board for a couple of months and as i had a couple of spare 7mm bullet connectors I decided to solder them onto a series connector I had available to get the board working at its full power 30V/8S.

The moment the two halves of the red wire connected, the 7mm anti spark plug (which was on the side of the ESCs) made a somewhat large pop/crack and the resistor began smoking, I have included a close up picture of the burnt spark plug to show the extent of the smoking, I had it wrapped in some PVC oversized shrink tube to act as a water shield.

I spoke to Hobbyking and they suggested trying a single 8sa battery rather than use four 2S2C 7V batteries as according to them it could have bee a ripple effect from having many batteries with many connections but I am not sure.

I am by no means an expert with electronics but I did read that if a resistor is used for a while at a certain voltage that running it at a higher voltage can break it as the resistor in the anti spark connector will have adapted to the lower voltage, is this likely to be the case?

I have re-connected the board at 14V and the board works, the motors run forward and backwards but due to not having anti-spark connectors I did not want to frazzle the parts as small sparks were occurring at 14V, at least everything is working though.

Right now I am wary of getting it going in case there is something that I have forgotten but I am wanting to buy the parts I need get it going again.

I tried to add photos but it did not work, I can make a small YT video to show how it looks at the moment if needed.

Any help would be appreciated as I was hoping to get my board at full power to enjoy it during summer, it's along post so thanks for reading.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:27 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Resistors don't "get used" to the circuit they're in. They either work (because it's the right part) or they don't (because it's NOT the right part) and they burn. You obviously ran too much current (amps) thru that resistor. Resistors are not only rated in ohms, but watts too, depending on how much current it's designed to handle. You need a bigger resistor, in watts, that can handle the amps you're trying to draw.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:21 PM
nunchaku101

Thank you for the reply.
About the resistor getting used to a certain voltage I had only read it so I really wasn't sure I just assumed.
I was wondering about the resistor being not big enough,

Would these be suitable option? https://www.ercmarket.com/rcproplus-...a-6-pairs.html
The page says that the max burst current is 320A while my ESCs max burst current is 1000A but my motors are 80A each so I can't see it being a problem. Should i try these or is there a larger size? I can't seem to find a larger size.

What I don't understand is that I have seen people using XT90 connectors for electric boards and electric mountainboards and they run alright.
If you think the connectors I linked are large enough I will get ordering them but I really want some kind of connector like the one I was using as I like the plug and play feel and the plastic housing keeps the water away.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:20 PM
EXT2Rob

Yeah those would work.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:05 PM
nunchaku101

Ok thank you. Am I correct in saying that all I need to do is replace to two connector ends where the ant-spark connector is and then it will be fine with the current cables I am using?
Old 06-26-2017, 03:07 PM
EXT2Rob

Originally Posted by nunchaku101
Thank you for the reply.
About the resistor getting used to a certain voltage I had only read it so I really wasn't sure I just assumed.
I was wondering about the resistor being not big enough,

Would these be suitable option? https://www.ercmarket.com/rcproplus-...a-6-pairs.html
The page says that the max burst current is 320A while my ESCs max burst current is 1000A but my motors are 80A each so I can't see it being a problem. Should i try these or is there a larger size? I can't seem to find a larger size.

What I don't understand is that I have seen people using XT90 connectors for electric boards and electric mountainboards and they run alright.
If you think the connectors I linked are large enough I will get ordering them but I really want some kind of connector like the one I was using as I like the plug and play feel and the plastic housing keeps the water away.
Yeah, you kinda have to verify some of the stuff you read on the web.
You're designing this thing, so I assume you know a little of Ohm's Law? I also assume that you've seen the results of what happens when you cheap-out on part selection, with the hover-board flambe's all over the news. You're dealing with serious power. XT90 connectors could work. If the system is designed properly and the designer knows how much voltage, amps, and watts he's dealing with, and choosing the proper parts for the application, then you should be alright. When you're testing, measure ALL your components for heat. Get a digital infrared thermometer. Take those XT90 connectors. If you test run them under max current draw, and they don't heat up, then you know you're not over-taxing them and trying to draw more current than they're designed to handle. But if they do get hot, that means they're a bottleneck, and you need to make another choice.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:18 PM
nunchaku101

I did think possibly it sounded strange but I don't have a lot of experience withe electronics.

I am only half designing it really, I am using parts used by others just to my customisation, yues I have seen the fires from the Chiense hoverboards etc. I am using Chinese electronics (HK) but I opted for the heaviest duty ESCs they had when I got them so there would be a lower chance of failure as I have read people buying smaller ESCs and having them fail from heat. I think I understand the concept of Ohms law, I did go to the trouble of using 60/40 fluxed core leaded solder to get the best connection on areas IO had soldered.
I do get a bit confused with W and V and Amps.

Heatwise I think I am alright as at half power the cables are a little warm but not hot, just to be clear I do not have XT90 connectors, I meant that I was surprised that my resistor popped when I have seen people using smaller anti spark XT90 connectors without problems.

One thing I am a little worried on is the series connectors I am using are 14AWG wire while the ESC cables are 8AWG so I will definitely watch the series cables for heat, I read n another post that 14AWG wire will not be enough. Do you think that will be suitable as HK don't sell any bigger, why that is I can not imagine as they sell the high power motors and ESCs.