Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Which receiver for this remote?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 04:09 AM
rg12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which receiver for this remote?

Hey Guys,

I got this remote from my friend for free but no receiver.
It's a Dragon RC 2.4ghz
He said that before he bought a receiver for it that didn't work with it.

Any ideas?

Click image for larger version

Name:	925Dragonradio0034b.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	276.8 KB
ID:	2223211
Old 07-06-2017, 04:38 PM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

There is a rebrand of this system called the Turnigy 3XS, more info here:
REVIEW: Turnigy 3XS (2.4ghz car radio) <Updated 16-JUL-2014> - Radios & Servos @ URC Forums

Looks like both compatible Rx's are currently out of stock too:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hk3100-3...___store=en_us

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hk-3000-...___store=en_us

Maybe you can cross reference some part numbers to find them in stock somewhere else, perhaps eBay?

Good Luck!
Old 07-07-2017, 04:49 AM
rg12

Couldn't find them on ebay...
What makes a receiver compatible? why can't I use any 2.4ghz receiver?
Old 07-07-2017, 01:30 PM
bill_delong

every brand (OEM) uses a different syncing (frequency hopping pattern) and is typically proprietary, unless you find a compatible rebrand from the same OEM... HoBao has a rebrand of this system too which I believe is compatible and currently in stock:
HoBao 2.4Ghz Receiver | HoBao Enterprising

It's basically the same as this Rx here that I linked earlier:
Old 07-08-2017, 02:11 AM
rg12

Are you sure it will work? because I've seen the remote photos and it looks nothing like it...
Old 07-08-2017, 03:11 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Get in touch with Dragon RC or Serpent to help locate receiver. If you gotta jump through hoops to find a receiver, and want to play now, I'd probably tell you to invest in another brand's $39 radio system.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:32 AM
rg12

Originally Posted by RustyUs
Get in touch with Dragon RC or Serpent to help locate receiver. If you gotta jump through hoops to find a receiver, and want to play now, I'd probably tell you to invest in another brand's $39 radio system.
Yeah I guess I will quit this idea then since you can get nice transmitter receiver combos for a bit over this price...

Thanks alot
Old 07-08-2017, 06:33 AM
bill_delong

Originally Posted by rg12
Are you sure it will work? because I've seen the remote photos and it looks nothing like it...
The case is identical, but the printed label is different, I honestly believe it's from the same OEM, though I have not personally tested to give a confirmation, just trying to help you locate what I believe is a compatible Rx with reasonable certainty.

Here is a cross reference to the Tx's that come with the HoBao RTR's:
HH2.4- 2.4Ghz FHSS Radio (only) | HoBao Enterprising

This appears to be a rebrand of the HK-300 which is a known compatible rebrand, see the product pic listed just below the Rx here:

If you also follow the link I posted earlier on the 3XS, I stated that I no longer recommended that radio anymore and was in favor of the Radiolink system. It appears that the 3XS is probably discontinued and Radiolink may be the way to go if you want long term support:
REVIEW: Radiolink RC3S / RC4G / TS4G 2.4Ghz (Gyro) - Radios & Servos @ URC Forums
Old 07-08-2017, 02:07 PM
rg12

Thanks for the help but I figured it will cost less to just buy a new set of a different brand like FlySky for like $33 with tons of great reviews.
Cheers
Old 07-09-2017, 10:47 AM
bill_delong

Originally Posted by rg12
Thanks for the help but I figured it will cost less to just buy a new set of a different brand like FlySky for like $33 with tons of great reviews.
Cheers
RadioLink offers far more features and will stand the test of time when compared to FlySky... I ran into problems with the FlySky Rx's where after 6 months they would start to lose their bind and it got progressively worse until I had to bind them each use. After replacing the Rx with a new one, it resolved the problem until 6 months later, same binding problems came back. I did notice that the Rx's in my on-road cars didn't run into these problems... it was my off-road cars which were ran on tracks with large jumps which seemed to be the root cause of the problem. For those running Fly Sky Rx's on mostly flat land, they seem to do okay, but I've ditched FlySky and found RadioLink to serve me well for all my rental/loaner cars... I run higher quality equipment for the club racers that I run myself
Old 07-13-2017, 01:32 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Bill!
Nice to see you here at RCU. 😃 So that Radio Link Tx has proven reliable in the long run, eh? Had to buy very many replacement receivers? And how much are they? I've had to replace a couple FlySky Rx over the years, but not every six months! I was looking at that radio a while back when I was looking for a replacement for the FlySky GT3C I so desperately wanted to work, but for some reason, and I tried several, they would just not work for me. Ended up just binding both cars to my old FlySky GT2, which works well. But if the Radio Link is your go-to radio now, I may have to take another look!
Old 07-13-2017, 03:29 PM
bill_delong

knock on wood... I haven't had to replace a single RadioLink Rx yet... currently own 6 Rx's and they're roughly 2.5 years old... though they haven't seen as much action as they did the first 1.5 years I owned them, but yes I would highly recommend this system as the current best low budget system on the planet, more systems I've compared here:
Which surface radio system is the best? <Updated 24-DEC-2014> - Radios & Servos @ URC Forums