Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Lowering temps

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 10:06 AM
RCsHPI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering temps

I'm running a MM2 / castle 2200kv setup with a SMC 4S 6700mAh 90C in a 8ight-t e 3.0. My current settings;
- 3.5LVC
- 0% drag brake
- 50% brakes
- 40% punch control
- Low start power

I'm using the stock spur (45t) with a 15t pinion. My top speed is 42mph per my Garmin, which is ok but it's reaching temps 170-180°F running in cut grass and loose dirt. If I drop to a 14/13t pinion to lower temps I'll be in the 30s. I would like to run it in the mid-40s as I did with my Vorza and Savage Flux.

It's very hot and humid in FL. so I fabbed up a bracket to run two YR tornado 30mm fans directly over the motor. I haven't used them yet to see how much they will lower the temps but even if they lower the temps within range (160°F and under) I still don't want to rely solely on fans for temp. control so I'm thinking of switching to a Tekin 1350kv motor on 6S or a 1550kv motor on 5S.

Using the speed calculator I would need to run a 16t pinion on the 1350kv 6S to equal the speed of my current setup and the 1350kv motor would be spinning 2,590rpm slower which is good. Running the 1550kv 5S I would need to use a 17t pinion to equal the speed of my current setup and the 1550kv motor would be spinning 3,885rpm slower which is better.

Could I gear either of those two motors that high and they run cool or will they still run hot just due to the ambient temp and humidity down here? I don't want to spend the money on a new motor & lipo setup if I'm still going to run into the same problem.

Thanks for any help!
Old 07-07-2017, 03:47 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I think the simple answer is, as you already know, lower kv and higher voltage will be more efficient. How much more efficient, and how much of a temperature drop would you see? That I could not tell you. Lot of variables come into play when you factor in the quality of materials used in the making of motors.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:57 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, it's kinda hard to say for sure. But, here's the question: What's wrong with relying on fans for motor temp control? Sometimes it's just necessary. You're pumping a lot of juice with those packs. I live in California. It's hot here too. My buddy and I don't even race in the summer. And we run fans all the time. Not that we actually need them to keep the temps below 180, because our gearing is correct, but we just like having that additional cooling.