Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

I have questions about my stock scx10

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 03:53 PM
Dakotalee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have questions about my stock scx10

I have a stock scx10 deadbolt and I was wondering if I run it in mud or water if I'm safe. I am also wondering what I can do since I have a light kit that isn't water proof.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:48 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey man, welcome. Here's the thing: Electronics and electricity don't like water, and, "waterproof" isn't. Okay? You can't make a submarine out of the thing. Just keep that in mind at all times.

That said, the "waterproof" electronics you may have in your truck are really "splashproof". And NO receiver is even that, that's why they have receiver boxes to house them. Don't have room for a receiver box? A small balloon will do. Waterproof grease around the servo output shaft will help keep water out of the servo, providing it has a sealed case.

The ESC is the hard part. Can't put it in a balloon, gotta keep it cool. But, you can use liquid tape or other such stuff to seal around the ESC case and heat sink, wire ends and solder joints, if soldered directly to the ESC main board.

The battery too needs to be protected as well as the connectors. Again, a balloon will do the job. Pull the neck of the balloon over the connectors and tape it off.

NOW, you can go mudding or running through a creek and your electronics and battery will be safe. BUT, when yer done, you're not done...you gotta clean off all the mud, dry everything off, and probably pull all the wheel bearings for thorough cleaning and relubing.

You do all of that, and you won't have any tribble atall! 😉

As for the light kit, that is probably powered off of the receiver, right? And your receiver is in a box, or a balloon taped off. So no problem. The lights themselves are LED, again, no problem. Any exposed solder joint on the lights wouldn't be an issue.

The motor, if it gets wet (it's a brushed motor, right?) Will need blowing out with canned air, and a lube of the bushings or bearings.

Last edited by EXT2Rob; 07-18-2017 at 01:56 PM.