RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

New vs Old RCs. What are your thoughts?

Old 07-17-2017, 09:44 AM
suds79

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default New vs Old RCs. What are your thoughts?

I'm beginning to form the opinion that particularly with Short Course Trucks, new is the way to go.

Now I love getting a good deal (+1 to used), but I must say. I've purchased 4 RCs total. Two new. Two used. In both cases, the used ones have been a disappointment where as the new ones I couldn't be happier.

New:
  • Redcat Everest 10 - Just great. Now granted you're not going fast so what's there to break? But I couldn't be happier. It's simply a great crawler at a great price.
  • Helion Verdikt - An odd 1/12 scale 2WD bruswhed SCT but it's pretty quick and tough as nails. Not a single part broken in a year and somehow that brushed motor hasn't burned out which brush motors are notorious for.

Used:
(I will say this. At least I've been able to sell both of these for the same price I originally paid.)
  • Exceed Rally Monster - This was an average first RC. At least I did get this on a good deal for getting into the hobby. Had a few nice qualities but could never count on taking it to the track with jumps and be able to make it through the run without breaking something.
  • Slash 4x4 Platinum. - This might be blasphemy but wow what a disappointment. Let me put it this way. If a Slash is the Ford F-150 of RCs. They're great, tough, everyone has had one and they're well reviewed..... I just so happen to buy the one with 340,000 miles on it. I think I just got a real lemon. A maintenance monster as everything was old and needing replaced soon. I started to fix it up and I did really like how easy it was to work on it but after a while I just had enough. It was too much wrenching. Too little driving. The nice thing is that i was able to sell it for the exact same price I paid for it a month later. The only thing I was out where the $60ish i spent on parts.

So I have the opinion/theory that for Crawlers (ie- slow moving vehicles), on-road cars (no jumps, etc), yeah I would venture to say used is probably okay. But for off road stuff, namely SC tucks or buggies, where they're going extremely fast with big jumps and basically people drive it like they stole it, meh I think i'd pass after this.

What do you guys think? Any success or horror stories?
Old 07-17-2017, 01:14 PM
MrCb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Sorry for your disappointment.

I have a Slash 2wd that I race at a local track. I race in spec Slash along wits sever all othe drivers and I muse say, its a lot more fun than bashing. If this is what your do ,them plan on spending a lot of money and time fixing. But the main thing is to have fun with rc.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:15 PM
RustyUs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Used RCs are a risky game sometimes. Evaluating the cost of what it would take to get running again (if broken) or estimating worth of used RC is very judgmental. Lots of great clear photos are needed before I even consider bidding/buying online. Closeups of what is know to be broken. Ask lots of questions to the point of being almost annoying, especially on eBay, so you have record of communication with the seller in case something is not quite right. "Due to the nature of the hobby, no returns, or refunds ...." that is a bunch of crap. If they say "It runs great", and I find a stripped gear in the tranny, I'm getting money back. Of course it's always better if buying used RCs from somewhere/someone where you can actually hold the RC in your hands.

There are different levels of used. You just gotta find the right balance of what you are willing to pay for the condition you want. Throw in nostalgia, vintage, or even collectors item and things can get interesting. There are plenty of gems out there to be had. You just gotta weed things out a bit.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:41 PM
MrCb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Point taken. I've bought 3 rc's on line and had good luck. I guess I was lucky.

Last edited by MrCb; 07-17-2017 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:42 PM
bill_delong

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would highly recommend a quality race grade car when buying used, but would never buy a basher grade used for all the reasons explained here:
RTR vs Kit vs Pre-Owned, which is best? - Which Style of RC for me? @ URC Forums

All 4 brands listed in the OP are considered basher grades and aren't known to stand the test of time without having to replace worn parts significantly more often than buying a quality race grade such as Tekno, Losi, XRay... etc.

As far a SC's go, I don't think there is any substitute for Tekno, my SCT410.1 (original release) is approaching 4 years old and is still VERY competitive at the tracks in my area, plus it still has roughly 95% of the original plastic parts from the kit!

BUILD/REVIEW: Tekno SCT410 - Short Course Trucks & SCBs @ URC Forums
Old 07-18-2017, 01:23 PM
EXT2Rob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The only time I've bought any used RCs, I bought them from Mr. DeLong, the poster above. A couple of HoBao Hyper 10SCs for a really good deal. My buddy and I already had the Hyper TTs , it's sister platform, so it was a perfect match. Bill provided lots of pictures and a history of the trucks, so I knew what I was buying. Wasn't a problem. I give him a silent thanks every time I take it out! 😉 You just gotta know who you're dealing with. Cheers, Bill!
Old 07-18-2017, 02:34 PM
bill_delong

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Rob, much appreciated... and to your point I think the Hyper10SC is technically a race grade, though they don't have an active team driver support system so they are a bit in the gray area I suppose... I'll always have a soft spot for HoBao cars

I actually bought a Hyper 10TT not too long ago for local club racing:
BUILD/REVIEW: HoBao Hyper 10TT (1/10 4WD Stadium Truck) - Stadium Trucks & 1/10th Buggies @ URC Forums
Old 07-19-2017, 06:58 AM
suds79

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the replies everybody. Yeah you definitely have to do your homework, ask a lot of questions & inspect the vehicle plenty when checking it out. There might feel like there's pressure to move the process along as the guy is waiting while you inspect the vehicle but it's all part of the process. Take your time.

So for me in my personal story, it worked out. I sold the Slash for 220 which is the same amount I paid for it a month earlier.

Helion, which I already like from the verdikt, has discontinued their Volition (they have a new SCT they've rolled out) and had it marked 25% off at hobbytown. I picked up this 1/10 2WD brushless SCT for $185 (normally $250) brand new out of the box. That's a steal if you ask me. That's the same price they have 2WD brushed Slashs with that high chassis. In short, I'm very excited about this one.

It's been brutally hot here in the midwest this last week so I'm looking forward to taking it out on the track. But as far as home i've taken it up & down the street some just to feel it out. Wow this thing has power for days. Just as quick as my prior 4x4 slash which was also brushless.

Now I just have to learn that soft trigger finger as I adapt to 2WD on say dirt surfaces. I have heard a lot of people say they think 2WD can be a lot of fun as it takes more finesse given you can't just mash down the throttle any time you like. I guess i'll find out.

I"m mainly looking for a basher. Something to club race once in a blue moon without any real worry if I win or not so I think this will fit the bill.

Last edited by suds79; 07-19-2017 at 07:01 AM.

Search this Thread