Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Fastest engine a Hornet will take

Old 09-02-2017, 07:24 PM
hedron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fastest engine a Hornet will take

What's the fastest motor the Hornet will take?

Would I need a new gearbox? Is that even possible?
Old 09-03-2017, 05:32 PM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

All depends on how hard you accelerate... if you set the punch rate to the least aggressive setting and are easy on the throttle then I don't see any reason why can't drop an 8.5T in there, though I would check temps on the gear box every 30 seconds with a temp gun and if the plastic goes above 120°, then I would start to dial back the EPA until you find a comfortable limit around 120°.... this is just a ball park guess as the gears inside the box will be considerably more hot... if you limit to shorter speed runs and let the gear box cool, then you'll be less likely to melt the gears, also rebuild the box and apply fresh grease more frequently... like every 20 battery packs to help reduce friction.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:41 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by hedron
What's the fastest motor the Hornet will take?

Would I need a new gearbox? Is that even possible?
All depends on how and where you run your RC. Running an "off-road" RC on a really rough terrain; with high powered motor, is asking for trouble. Taking a Hornet out and doing speed runs, or having a Hornet jumping obstacles while kicking up roosts of dirt...two different kinds of animals (insects in your case).
Old 09-04-2017, 08:58 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by hedron
What's the fastest motor the Hornet will take?....
Don't know if you are running brushed or brushless motors. If you are running brushed, you can find some good brushed motors (Yeah Racing/GoolRC) relatively cheap, around $11.

What motor are you running now?

What kind of speeds are you after?

That great thing about hobby grade RCs...you can rebuild when trial and error doesn't go so well .
Old 09-12-2017, 04:54 PM
hedron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just have the stock RS-540S motor.

I'm just basically looking for an upgrade and I was looking through and the amount of brands and types was a little overwhelming. I haven't touched my Hornet since I was in high school and there aren't any hobby shops around.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:01 PM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

A friend of mine recently ran a system comparable to this in his Tamiya Hot Shot re-release without any problems on the gears:
GoolRC Waterproof F540 3000KV Brushless Motor with 45A ESC Combo Set I0R3 | eBay

I would also considering upgrading to a LiPo battery too, this is a traditional stick style pack that fits all legacy Tamiya cars:
NEW Team Associated Wolfpack Lipo 2S 7.4V 3300Mah 30C/55C Round 12 Gauge ASC751 | eBay