Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Batteries and charger for rc car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 01:06 PM
plasticmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Batteries and charger for rc car?

I just boughr my son the Arrma Raider from Tower Hobbies. He's having lots of fun with it, except that it takes a long time to charge and the run time is only about 7 minutes. What kind of batteries and charger do I need to get a longer run time and shorter charge time? I don't really want to modify the car to run faster, just improve the batteries and charging. Thanks.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:24 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like it comes with a 2000mah NiMh 6-cell battery. That battery fully charged should run the truck for about 20min.
The charger that comes with it is a very basic wall-wart charger that is going to take around 4 hours to charge a 2000mah battery. If you had it pluged in for 4 hours and you are only getting 7minutes of run time then the battery is "false peaking" and this is a common issue with NiMh packs.
The solution is to re-charge again and sometimes it takes two or three times until the battery takes a full charge.

A better charger will better maintain the battery and charge it in much less time.

Here's a good charger:
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFTSB&P=7
You will need a cable too:
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFPFL&P=7

This battery will run the vehicle for about 40+ min:
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXYDA2&P=7
Old 10-14-2017, 04:43 PM
plasticmaster

I'm just assuming the battery is going dead after only 7 minutes. It just suddenly stops and the red led on the esc is blinking. Could it be running hot and shutting itself off instead? Could I go with a 7.4v lipo battery without changing the stock motor or esc?
Old 10-14-2017, 05:20 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

7 minutes of run time sounds about right for a 2000mAh pack and a motor that is pulling an average of 17 amps.
Old 10-14-2017, 05:22 PM
seedygreenute

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If you leave it for a little while , does it work again ? This would probably be over heat protection.
Also check the Low Voltage Cutoff is set for Nimh battery . ( jumper plug on ESC )
7.4v lipo will run fine but you will need a lipo charger , and don't forget to change the LVC to lipo mode .
Old 10-14-2017, 05:24 PM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by plasticmaster
I'm just assuming the battery is going dead after only 7 minutes. It just suddenly stops and the red led on the esc is blinking. Could it be running hot and shutting itself off instead? Could I go with a 7.4v lipo battery without changing the stock motor or esc?
Make sure the LVC is turned off when running NiMh batteries.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:00 PM
flyinwalenda

It only has a 540 15T motor so you should be getting at least double the run time unless ,again, the battery is not being fully charged.

Yes you can run a LiPo but you have to change the LVC on the ESC and you have to buy that new charger. A higher mah pack is what you need to make the vehicle run longer......it does not have to be a LiPo.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:43 AM
RustyUs

Realistically, a 5000mAh battery will give about 25 minutes of run-time with a 15T brushed motor; 30 minutes if geared correctly. Lot of factors will determine run-time, but if OP is tripping the ESC's OHProtection, then possibly the Raider is overgeared, and drawing more amps from the battery.

In any case, a peak charger will be beneficial in the long run. The components in RTR packages are normally bare minimum gear to keep prices attractive...just enough to get a person, and their RC, up and running. After having a great time with their RTR RC, a person wants "more".

I long for the day when Arrma, HPI, Traxxas, Associated, Losi, HoBao, Redcat, etc. etc. go back to the days of building a basic kit.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:27 PM
seedygreenute

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Rusty ... if you get the time , find the manual . It seems to show a LVC of 4.?V in Nimh mode . ( I'm on my phone and can't remember exactly )
Please check I am reading it right . It seems strange , I thought Nimh mode meant no LVC too . Maybe not with this ESC .
Thanks mate !
Old 10-16-2017, 03:10 AM
flyinwalenda

The ESC they use is the same one other RTR's have.
There are two jumpers on the right front. The outer one sets either NiMh or LiPo LVC mode. The jumper should be towards the outer corner for NiMh.
Click image for larger version

Name:	238b9c04f54c814c1240c748d3df13808855a6547565807adf60762413043680.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	2241338
Your fully charged 6-cell battery should be approximately 8.7 volts off of the charger.
The rated low discharge point is 0.9 volts per cell (5.4v/pack) but you can go a bit lower .
That is why the NiMh LVC is set to 4.5 v on that ESC. Or the chicoms are dyslexic and got it backwards !

Last edited by flyinwalenda; 10-16-2017 at 03:15 AM.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:57 AM
plasticmaster

I think I've decided to get a 7.2v nimh 5000mAh, but not sure which one. I need a recommendation on a battery with these specs and a charger that can also charge lipo if we go that route in the future. It would be nice if charger could be powered by household current and 12v battery. Also, I'm on a tight budget. I think the connection on current battery and esc is a Deans connector. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:42 PM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by seedygreenute
Rusty ... if you get the time , find the manual . It seems to show a LVC of 4.?V in Nimh mode . ( I'm on my phone and can't remember exactly )
Please check I am reading it right . It seems strange , I thought Nimh mode meant no LVC too . Maybe not with this ESC .
Thanks mate !
I never seen a LVC for NiMh batteries before. Weird.

Did I ever mention I can't stand ARRMA's PDF manuals. They are a pain to "sift" through. I've tried all kinds of PDF readers...they all dislike ARRMA's manuals .
Old 10-16-2017, 01:47 PM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
The ESC they use is the same one other RTR's have.
There are two jumpers on the right front. The outer one sets either NiMh or LiPo LVC mode. The jumper should be towards the outer corner for NiMh.
Attachment 2241338
Your fully charged 6-cell battery should be approximately 8.7 volts off of the charger.
The rated low discharge point is 0.9 volts per cell (5.4v/pack) but you can go a bit lower .
That is why the NiMh LVC is set to 4.5 v on that ESC. Or the chicoms are dyslexic and got it backwards !
LOL. Anything is possible.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:21 PM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Looks like it comes with a 2000mah NiMh 6-cell battery. That battery fully charged should run the truck for about 20min.
The charger that comes with it is a very basic wall-wart charger that is going to take around 4 hours to charge a 2000mah battery. If you had it pluged in for 4 hours and you are only getting 7minutes of run time then the battery is "false peaking" and this is a common issue with NiMh packs.
The solution is to re-charge again and sometimes it takes two or three times until the battery takes a full charge.

A better charger will better maintain the battery and charge it in much less time.

Here's a good charger:
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFTSB&P=7
You will need a cable too:
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFPFL&P=7

This battery will run the vehicle for about 40+ min:
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXYDA2&P=7
I think I've decided to get a 7.2v nimh 5000mAh, but not sure which one. I need a recommendation on a battery with these specs and a charger that can also charge lipo if we go that route in the future. It would be nice if charger could be powered by household current and 12v battery. Also, I'm on a tight budget. I think the connection on current battery and esc is a Deans connector. Thanks.
+1 on what flyinwalenda suggested, and don't forget the Tower Hobbies coupons. The NiMh pack is a bit pricey, but if you want longer run times and good cells, Duratrax packs are no slouches...at least their packs were very good 15 years ago . If you want to go the LiPo route...they will be cheaper.

http://www.rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide/

Last edited by RustyUs; 10-16-2017 at 02:23 PM.