Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Help with lipo on dark impact

Old 10-19-2017, 07:05 AM
Sweetmercy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with lipo on dark impact

Hi all, I have recently layed my hands on a used Tamiya dark impact with the Carson dragster sport sensorless esc and 10t brushless motor. It seems this came already with the kit as the box has Tamiya/Carson stickers on it.

After my first run on an overlander 3300mah nimh pack the battery was red hot, I was barely able to hold it it was that hot! Is this normal?

I would like to run this car on lipos but after looking around it seems there is much to consider..
Firstly the dark impact has a very limited sized battery compartment, the standard nimh 6cell pack is a pretty tight fit?
​​Secondly what's the minimum c rating for the esc? (No instructions came with it), I can't find any reliable info online.
Any suggestions would be most helpful and if I have overlooked anything important please let me know! Thanks

Last edited by Sweetmercy; 10-19-2017 at 07:18 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:38 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

An average size of a hard cased 2S LiPo pack is around Length 139mm x Width 47mm x Height 25mm, Those dimensions should be close to a 6 cell NiMh battery. When a person doesn't know the quality of cells used in a LiPo pack, 40C would be my recommendation for lowest discharge rating used on a 1/10 4wd RC.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:43 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Turnigy LiPo packs, shaped like a "stick" pack, came to mind. After plugging in the term "LiPo stick pack" into Yahoo! search, that brought up quite a few options if you need/want a LiPo with rounded edges to fit into chassis (I'm not familiar with the Dark Impact). I'm sure a 2S soft case will fit in the Dark Impact with no problems. You just have to check dimensions when looking at any pack. If going the soft case route, make sure to have some type of foam to secure movement of battery.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:51 AM
Sweetmercy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers Rusty, The turnigy ones look okay, seems quite a few people use those. I will measure exact size of battery compartment later to be sure before I order anything though
Old 10-22-2017, 12:06 AM
tom4

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

hello

I use some nanotech 2S hardcase 25C 4200mah. I use them in my Madbull and monstel beetle.
for the monster beetle, I had to add 4/5mm to the battery compartment width.
on the madbull, I had to dremel the "bump" on the lipo case, but they fit on both car.
I have excellent run times on both cars

tom4