Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Need Help Choosing Pinion gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 07:36 PM
Campbell JM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Choosing Pinion gear

Hi there,
I'm running a Kyosho Ultima RB6 on an offroad outdoor track. My Motor is Hobbywing EZRun 9T 4300kv. ESC is Team Orion R10 Sport 45amp. Battery is Gens-Ace 5000mAh 50C 2s 7.4V Lipo Shorty Pack. I have a 76T Spur gear and was wondering what size pinion I should get to get optimum performance.

Thanks Heaps
Old 11-10-2017, 03:18 PM
FlapJackFred

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have an infrared thermometer? I would think that would be one of the best tools you can have in a situation like this. Your driving style and track layout are going to determine what pinion gear is needed. Kyosho has great manuals and should have a recommended gearing somewhere in there. I'd start out with a 21T and go from there. Checking temps every couple of minutes as you test the buggy's performance.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:57 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on that.
Good choice of battery. I've found Gens Ace to be the best value and consistent quality.
Is that EZRUN motor the little blue finned job? I've run that motor is a couple different cars, and it's a gem for its size.