Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Need help choosing motor and ESC

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 04:27 AM
purup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Need help choosing motor and ESC

Hello RC Experts,

I'm relatively new to RC and I need some advise. Some time ago I bought a Maxam Storm R10 (1:10, fwd, waterproof). Now the motor has given up on me.

The motor was a HSP 540 3300 KV brushless sensorless (and I think, 9 turn).
The ESC is a 60A brushless sensorless.

Obviously I could just get the same motor, but I'd like to use the opportunity to possibly get something better and also learn something.

The car's top speed was about 60 km/h. I like that but I also don't need to go faster.
The car had very little torque at low speeds and especially starting from a complete stop. I'd like it to have more torque.

So, I've watched Youtube and trawled forums (including this one) but I cannot seem to find a good, thorough guide and explanation of all the aspects of choosing a motor and ESC. Here's what I've gathered myself so far:

KV is RPM (rounds per minute) per volt. The higher KV, the faster the motor.
Turns has to do with the wiring inside the motor. The lower turns, the faster the motor.

My questions are:

- Are KV and Turns just to ways of saying the same thing or are they independant features?
- Is any 3300 KV motor going to give me the same speed?
- How does KV and turns affect torque ...if it does?
- How will I know if a motor is compatible with my ESC?
- Will a sensored system give me more torque?

Any help is much appreciated!

Last edited by purup; 01-02-2018 at 04:30 AM.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:01 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

No expert here, I just try to help out were I can in this great hobby.

Your RC, being a 4wd monster truck (same as Redcat's Volcano), I'd throw a 550 size 3300Kv motor in the truck if you are happy with the speed of what you have now. Most, if not all, 540 motors are 3650 (36mm x 50mm) in size. Possibly a mm or two in length difference. Then you jump up to 550 sized motors...generally 3656 (36mm x 56mm) and it's additional length gives more magnet surface area...more torque.

I wouldn't use a sensored brushless motor unless I was racing or crawling. For general "bashing", sensorless motors are great. Your ESC in your Maxam Storm is probably a 10BL60, and will not run in "sensored" mode...no sensor cable input.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw4Tjz_D_jg
Learning Brushless Motors
Brushed vs Brushless Motors - Think RC
Brushless Motor Tech: Everything You Need to Know - RC Car Action
https://www.hpiracing.com/en/brushless

Last edited by RustyUs; 01-02-2018 at 04:40 PM. Reason: added link & info
Old 01-03-2018, 02:02 PM
mugeyman

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

hi purup, well some very good esc s and motors sensored and sensorless you can look into tekin escs and motors , castle creations esc and motors , hobby king too they will give you info as to what turn a brushed motor it is equal to in 1/10th scale and 1/8 scale , for a buggy , truggy ,monster trucks too and these are about all programmable , some will give you the info on torque and top speed , with the right gearing , with right spur gear and pinion gear for 1/10 scale and 1/8th scale , there is mathematics involved too to help set up the various combinations you may want i have a mugen mbx7eco with a castle monster esc and 2750 kv motor , but was too powerful for race track and be came uncontrollably fast, , i had to change motor to lower kv and it has worked well for me , i did not want to cook (burn up ) the esc and or motor . hope i helped you with some info ok mugey