Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Yokomo Brushless ESC and Tamiya 540 Brushed Motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 10:47 PM
rccar2018

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Yokomo Brushless ESC and Tamiya 540 Brushed Motor

Hi All,

I want to use a Yokomo Brushless ESC in conjunction with a Tamiya 540 BRUSHED Stock Motor. Although the Brushless ESC has a three Banana Plug Connection and the 540 Mabuichi has a 2 Banana Plug Connection the Japanese are confident it will work.
Looking at Click image for larger version

Name:	_ps_2434BL-SP4-MANUAL-20170215-ENG.pdf
Views:	64
Size:	953.7 KB
ID:	2250396 I have a a good read of the manual but it is not clear.
This Brushless ESC will most likely work with a Brushed Motor. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks in Advance
Old 01-08-2018, 04:14 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I would recommend only attempting to run a brushed motor, with a brushless ESC, if your manual suggests it is possible. I don't even see anywhere in the manual stating the ESC can run sensorless mode. Most of the time you have an option to select sensored/sensorless, but manual doesn't really relay that message to me in it's terminology. The one statement referring to ESC will stop if sensor error occurs during driving, and to check connection related to motor and sensor cables.

If you are able to turn off sensor cable usage in the ESC's parameters, then there is a chance of being able to control a brushed motor with a brushless ESC.

I can't guarantee anything, nor am I responsible for even suggesting this: using the "A" Blue, and "C" White or Orange wires connected to a brushed motor might work.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:30 AM
rccar2018

Thank you Rusty. I don’t think I will risk it. The problem will be that the car will be extremely fast with the Brushless Motor. I purchased it two weeks ago in Tokyo and the salesman and drivers in the huge RC shop (RC Adviser) raved about the Yokomo performance. I don’t have the WiFi adapter so I can’t lower the throttle using my iphone app. Do you recommend lowering the throttle on the Futaba 3PL Transmitter instead?
Old 01-09-2018, 10:03 AM
RustyUs

Using your controller's end point adjustments is the easiest way to slow the motor down.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:34 PM
rccar2018

Thanks Rusty. Now I have a bigger problem. The BL-SP4 Brushless Motor is not the same length as the Stock Tamiya 540 Motor. The Brushless Motor has the three wires coming from the side / rear of the motor but the wires are very thick. Because the Brushless Motor is not the same diameter as the Stock 540 Motor I cannot get it to set flush with the metal plate to be screwed in tightly. The wires also prevent the motor seating properly in the Motor cavity. Do you have any suggestions? Do I need to buy or use some kind of spacer?
Maybe I disassemble the rear chassis, attach the Screwplate to the Brushless Motor before mounting?
Old 01-10-2018, 03:25 AM
RustyUs

Re-solder the motor wires so that they point in the opposite direction.