Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Traxxas Stampede 2wd brushless vs HPI Savage Flux HP

Old 01-08-2018, 07:56 PM
keoni068

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxxas Stampede 2wd brushless vs HPI Savage Flux HP

Hi all!

I am hoping to start a new hobby in rc trucks and need your advice! I am looking to purchase a truck that will bring me years of fun for my son and I. Currently I have an opportunity to purchase one of these cars used:

Option 1- $300
HPI Savage Flux HP about 1 year old. Stock except for metal bumpers and wheelie bar. RTR with 2 Lipo batteries.
Cons- no local hobby shops support HPI and I was told it’s hard to get parts for HPI even online.

Option 2- $300
Traxxas Stampede 2wd. Also about a year old. Upgraded to Castle Creation Sidewinder 3 brushless. Includes 2 lipo batteries, upgraded Futaba transmitter. Lots of parts available locally, but it’s only 2wd.

If it was you, which would you buy? All advice and info are very appreciated!!

All the best!
Old 01-09-2018, 04:52 AM
Igottabeme

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The savage would be the better value, drive and handle better (in my opinion). Long term part support go with the Stampede. The Stampede and alot of Traxxas products have parts support because they really do not change the design of them. Go back 20, 25 years or whenever the Stampede first came out it and really has not changed that much but maybe just the color of some of the plastics (a few parts maybe different). Also look at other traxxas models and alot of them share the same parts. Aftermarket companies like RPM can make hop-ups for them cause they can sell the parts they make for years and years knowing that Traxxas does not change the design.

Last edited by Igottabeme; 01-09-2018 at 05:02 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:54 PM
keoni068

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have any thoughts on HPI parts availability? What parts typically break on the flux hp that I should stock up on?
Old 01-09-2018, 06:05 PM
Igottabeme

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First if you do not have it the instruction manual or the parts manual https://images.amain.com/images/reso...k%20Manual.pdf Parts availibilty I always check Ebay first, good deals and different vendors. Just type in what your looking for (Part #) and find the cheapest price one stop shopping if you ask me. The usual other online sites Tower Hobbies, Amain, Hoobytown. Google the part # and find diiferent vendors.
Attached Thumbnails 4-HPI104240%20Savage%20Flux%20HP%20Monster%20Truck%20Parts%20Diagram.pdf   4-HPI104240%20Savage%20Flux%20HP%20Monster%20Truck%20Parts%20Diagram.pdf  

Last edited by Igottabeme; 01-09-2018 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:33 PM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

You've put yourself between a rock and hard place by limiting to these 2 options, really hard to decide which is worse... not kidding here.

For starters, I wouldn't expect any long term support for HPI, the brand went bankrupt a few years ago and was chopped up and sold to 2 different companies. Tons of products were discontinued and the brand name was kept even though it's not the same HPI that we once knew. HPI has been struggling ever since and hasn't been able to sustain proper parts supply chain. Yes they are producing parts, but are far too often on back order which would make HPI a poor recommendation. It's really unfortunate because HPI has been known for their quality and durability, but their reputation for parts support has been severely stained.

In contrast, Traxxas offers one of, if not the best companies in parts support in the world. I don't think I've ever seen Traxxas have any parts ever go on back order. Only problem is that Traxxas is marginally acceptable in terms of durability. That's the main reason why hobby shops promote Traxxas more than any other brand, because they are just barely durable enough for most consumers to accept their quality, however they break often enough to be profitable. By the time you add up the expenses over the course of a year or two, most consumers will spend more on a Traxxas car than they would have spent on a high quality luxury brand in the first place.

Personally, I would explore some of the 1/8 race grade brands out there, such as Associated, Losi, Mugen or my personal favorite Tekno, they can all be found used for about the same price range and not only will they outperform HPI and Traxxas, they will be phenomenally more durable. Check out the sales ads on RCTech.net for one of the best selections of used luxury grade cars.