Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

LRP buggy from gearbest or ZD Racing Thunder

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 06:35 PM
rc2018

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless 4wd off road rc under $150 that can run on 3s

I am thinking about purchasing either the ZD racing thunder or the LRP buggy from gearbest unless I can find a better brushless 4wd off road rc for under $150. Any suggestions? I want to be able to run 3s without breaking things. Will running 3s in the ones shown break things? The battery is 3s 11.1v 30c 3000mah Lipo

Last edited by rc2018; 02-08-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:04 AM
FlapJackFred

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How and what all play a part in durability. How you drive; how much traction you have; what gearing; what motor; what terrain, and how durable stock driveline is...all should be taken into consideration. Just make sure you are able to find spare parts, and have fun.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:53 PM
rc2018

I will be doing mostly off-road but I want it to be fast enough for onroad. Nothing too serious like huge jumps or anything mostly just gravel, grass, and molch. Do you have any suggestions for which one to get? Something with good stock drivetrains. I heard LRP is going out of business so I don't know about part availability.

Last edited by rc2018; 02-09-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:06 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I can't recommend jumping right into 3S packs without first knowing a RC's durability on 2S first. I really don't like recommending RCs for people as everyone has their favorite brands, or wants as much "bang for your buck" type of RC to start with.

I personally have many RC platforms to take out and have fun with. That would make it easy for me to take a chance on purchasing a super low budget RC vehicle. If something happened to super low budget RC, like parts keep on breaking and then having to wait weeks/months for parts, I'd be less disappointed as I would be able to play with my other RCs while parts support get back on line/if at all.

If a person is looking for their first hobby grade RC, my two biggest recommendations...no smaller than 1/10 scale, and make sure the parts support is good.

Watch/read all the reviews you can on any platform you are thinking about purchasing, then you can go with a more informed idea what your getting into. I believe there is a few people out there (RC Groups) with firsthand knowledge on the platforms OP is interested in.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:04 AM
seedygreenute

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

What Rusty said .
And they look similar to many cars in that price range . Probably different electronics . If you can find what something has been rebranded as it will increase what parts are available .
Old 02-11-2018, 03:52 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

After seeing the ZD Racing electronics package in the LRP buggy, and the chassis of the Thunder ZTX-10, I'm wondering if ZD Racing is the OEM for LRP's RCs.

Keep an eye out for cross referencing parts from ZD Racing should the need arise. I do remember LRP is supposedly "hanging it up" at the end of of March I believe. I don't know/haven't heard if there was a buyer to jump in and take over.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:25 PM
rc2018

Yeah I'll post a thread when the LRP/ZD racing buggy arrives. Shipping from Gearbest in China so it might be a month. I'll say everything i see and all the info then.