Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The best 1/10 racer??

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 07:54 AM
jskinn27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The best 1/10 racer??

Hey guys, I used to have nitro cars years ago, now getting back into the hobby but rolling electric. Right now I have a little 1/16 mini slash brushless. It’s fun and all to bash and drive around the neighborhood...however, went to a local rc shop and discovered they have an indoor track. It made me want to race. People had an sc10, some associates buggies ect. I am looking to buy a 1/10 racer. Idk what brand, I’ve been doing some research and I like the rc10b64 club racer and rc10t4.3.

Which is is the best brand?
4x4 or 2x4?
which is fastest rtr out of the box?
kit vs Rtr?
if I go kit, which setup should I go? (Which motor, gears ect)
Looking to spend 4-600$. Is that doable for a solid racer?

thank you all in advance!
Old 02-19-2018, 10:21 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

You like opening up a can of worms don't you? A lot of folks have a brand fetish, and have a hard time believing something is better than their current $1200+ platform/gear.

Lot of great "racers" out there. Make the trip to the track/hobby shop that you plan to race at. It's always nice to have purchased an RC that the shop supplies parts for. And while you are at the track you will get to see what others are running. You will also see what classes are available/popular at the track.

Does the track have a website/facebook page? That's where I would tell you to start your trek.

A lot of RTR's gear, that comes in the package, will be of little use in a very short amount of time. I think kits are always the best deal. They let you install what electronics you want, or what you have already have.

There is one thing I would have to say about your mentioned stadium truck, and track composition. If you are running on old school "dirt" track, then a rear motor RC, like the T4.3, has a lot of potential. But, if your track is carpet, turf, or high traction clay, you'd be better off with taking the advantage of one of the latest and greatest mid-motor platforms.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:27 AM
jskinn27

I know people may be biased to brands, but cars to look into would be nice.
i havee a dirt track near me that I can practice on. The indoor track is carpet.

Which “latest and greatest” mid motor platforms should I look into?
Old 02-19-2018, 05:00 PM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

Any chance you're talking about Full Throttle Raceway?

I recently raced there while on vacation over Christmas break, I'm the guy in the middle with a couple of fast local drivers:
Click image for larger version

Name:	39402515582_efc289a062_c.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	2255300

Anyway, the most popular brand at that club is Associated by a long shot, I was the first guy to show up with a TEKNO and that's why you might see that brand up on the board, assuming they haven't erased it since:

Name:	38554859455_4e0d675e24_c.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	2255301

That said if you look at the parts on the wall, they pretty much cater to Associated and that's the brand I would go with if I were you.

As far as selecting a class goes, 2WD Buggy is the most popular, then 4WD Buggy followed by 2WD SCT... they don't allow 4WD SCT as of 2 months ago, I know they're getting new carpet from Snowbirds, so that rule might change.

As far as picking an economical class goes, the 4WD cars tend to offer longer wear life on tires where the 2WD cars tend to lose traction abruptly after just a couple of race days where 4WD should go about 4-5 race days before they wear out.

You definitely want to build a kit, this will help make it easier for you to tune for your track conditions during the build as well as make it easier for you to learn how to service the car later. Talk to either Brett Cole or Keith Rockwell (guys pictured above) they will help you with your car setup for Associated.

Be sure to check out their FB page too:
facebook.com/fullthrottlehobbyandraceway/

Best of luck at your club, it's an amazing facility with lots of cool people to hang out with!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	39402515582_efc289a062_c.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	2255298   Click image for larger version

Name:	38554859455_4e0d675e24_c.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	2255299  

Last edited by bill_delong; 02-19-2018 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:17 AM
jskinn27

Thanks for the reply!

yes, that’s the place! Kinda stumbled in there the other day when my friend was looking for parts. It’s a neat place!

I really like the RC10B64D. I’ll probably get a 4x4 as well! Maybe this weekend I’ll stop by and watch some races and pick some Brains for a solid setup.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:39 AM
bill_delong

You don't want to get the D = dirt version, you want to get the carpet version, stop in the shop and see what kind of deal they can give you, chances are they'll match whatever online price you'll pay, you just need to ask. They'll also tell you what the hot tire is for your track. I was running discontinued dBoots tires and I had no problem keeping up with these guys, though I currently race with ProLine Z3 Prisms at our local turf track in Austin.

On the day I raced there, it was a fresh layout for everyone so we were on an even playing field, I qualified in 3rd, but was able to put everything together by the main and had a nearly flawless run, these guys are really good, talk to them and ask for tips, listen and take good notes from these guys, they'll take good care of you:

Name:	39402515372_621a586058_c.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	2255335
Old 02-20-2018, 08:30 PM
bill_delong

Not sure how soon you'll be setup to start racing, but I plan on heading back out for Spring Break (if there's still snow in Santa Fe) and plan to race on Wed Mar 14th