Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Caldera XB 10E servo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 05:26 AM
guitarkevin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caldera XB 10E servo?

Hello,
My son has the Caldera XB 10E Buggy. Yesterday I noticed the car wasn't steering. From what I can tell, it is receiving the signal from the radio, but it is making a clicking sound and only occasionally do the wheels turn. I suspect the gears inside the servo are bad, and for only $15-$20 bucks it doesn't seem like a costly repair.

So if my assessment is correct, I would like to know what servo to get. Redcat's site has the HX-3CP and the HX-6CP listed as replacement parts. One looks like it might be a faster servo, but that's all I can tell. Should I go 3rd party? Why?

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2018, 06:55 AM
Igottabeme

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both those servos are pretty weak. If it needs to be changed go with a 3rd patry servo and one that is metal geared. I got some suggestions if your in the US.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:56 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I probably would not replace your seveo with another stock servo. I'd point in the direction of a Power HD LF-13MG Standard Digital 13KG Servo for something low budget.

I have used Hitec servos for the longest time, because they have been nothing but good to me. The Hitec HS-5625 MG digital servos have, and still do, give me great performance in my 1/10 scale RCs. I try to always have one on hand as a spare. I think they are very well balanced with speed and torque for most 1/10 scale buggies, and 2wd stadium/short course trucks. The only downfall of the HS-5625 servo is one of the gears is not metal. I just make sure and use some sort of servo saver when I am out and about "bashing". Replacing a set of gears, on a Hitec servo, once in six years is a pretty good record, if you ask me.

Nowadays, you will find a slew of moderately priced servos with great specs to match. Goteck, Power HD, JX, Blue Bird, and others will have what you are looking for.

I would recommend a standard sized digital servo running at 6 volts:
100~130 oz-in torque
0.10 ~ 0.15 sec. / 60°
Metal Gears (and if important to you.. making sure spare gear set is available)

Of course you can always go overboard with specs as well. Nothing wrong with that at all. More power, more speed, more aluminum casing, coreless motor....more $$$ .

I'm sure others will come to chime in to give you some more thoughts.

Last edited by RustyUs; 04-09-2018 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:41 PM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

check out JX Servos, they're excellent for the price: