Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Good electric rolling chassis?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 06:10 AM
jjl5590

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good electric rolling chassis?

Hi guys,

Was all set on buying an Arrma Talion or Kraton, but after hearing stories about Horizon in the UK, have decided to hold off for a few months at least to see how it pans out.

I think I'm now after a decent electric roller, for me to put my own electronics into. Any suggestions? I'm not looking for a buggy as I've had too many, fancy a change. A truggy would do nicely!

Thanks Name:  smile.gif
Views: 391
Size:  375 Bytes
Old 04-19-2018, 09:11 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out the HoBao Hyper TT. Love mine. Got it a few years ago (five?) from NitroHouse.com for $180. I think it's going for $220 now. Fully assembled, with wheels and tires, and a clear body shell to paint. Add your own electronics. Aftermarket parts are available. Heavy duty gears can take lots of power. I run a Castle 4-pole 540-size motor in mine, 5700kv. Plenty fast for my needs. But some guys have put BIG 550 size motors in their TTs and run 3S Lipo. I've added a couple aftermarket bits for additional toughness, but you may not need to. Like all RCs, see what you tend to break first. Replace as needed. My buddy and I race around trees, so I upgraded the steering knuckles to aluminum for added protection from a high speed tree clip. But we've gotten much better at driving and rarely hit the trees anymore. Any breakage now is usually from a bad car to car interaction, or a really freak biffed landing. And as with any RC, a good aftermarket bumper is needed. T-Bone Racing makes the best, IMO. I strongly recommend using closed cell foam inserts in the tires. The stock white foams don't last, the blue foams last the life of the tread and then some.

HoBao also makes a short course truck from a stretched version of the same chassis the TT is built on. It's cool that I have two completely different driving cars, but they share 95% of all their parts. 100% of the parts that require occasional replacement from wear or breakage. Makes ownership that much cheaper. I love that.

Last edited by EXT2Rob; 04-19-2018 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:48 PM
jjl5590

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorryi forgot to say I'm after an 8th scale to run 6s lipo. I've had an offer for a Tekno EB48.3 roller for £200, not sure whether to go for it
Old 04-23-2018, 06:19 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is a good deal on the techno. They make an awesome racing chassis. What ever you get, if you're not going to be racing, get aftermarket bumpers.