Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Tekno EB48.3 or Arrma Typhon/Talion

Old 04-22-2018, 06:24 AM
jjl5590

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tekno EB48.3 or Arrma Typhon/Talion

Hi guys,

Which one would you go for if price was no object? I can get a used tekno for cheap, I'm a basher interested in top speed on 6s.

Thanks
Old 04-22-2018, 07:11 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

If I had a choice, I would get a new kit and put in what gear that I choose to put in my RC. Too many times a RTR's electronics (mainly the servos) are just mediocre, and don't have the best reputation. I'm not saying all RTR's have really lousy electronics, but a person can almost always find a better electronic component to use than what manufacturers want for original RTR components.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:23 AM
jjl5590

I think Arrma comes with decent kit
Old 04-22-2018, 07:50 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Tekno!! Always Tekno. They are battletanks, a bit front heavy, but impossible to break.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:50 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jjl5590
I think Arrma comes with decent kit
Yes, Arrma comes with some good gear already installed. For me, it's the thought of trying to overcome the radio and servo specs on most RTRs. I personally could not go back to a very basic radio that had no sub-trims, expo, or end point adjustments. Today's RTR servos are hit or miss. Most torque and speed specs don't jive with what I've come to enjoy from a servo. So, to me, buying a RTR means uninstalling (at a minimum) the radio, receiver and servo so that they may be sold to others in need.

In OP, "if price was no object" ... that means to me you want to have a great platform with great electronics. Going with Tekno would be the best option between what you have listed to decide upon. If you don't have any radio or electronics laying around, then I can see the appeal of buying a RTR.

In any case, I think it's a smart move to go 1/8 scale if you are solely looking for a speed demon.

Last edited by RustyUs; 04-22-2018 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:53 AM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

+1 for Tekno

Arrma recently went bankrupt and was sold to Horizon so it might take a while before parts supply chain is fully restored for Arrma.

Tekno offers a lifetime 50% off warranty for any worn/broken parts mailed in without any questions asked, plus there is a warranty center in the EU

You won't find a more durable brand than Tekno, they are designed to stand the test of time.

If you buy used, my only concern would be the condition of the out drives... if the previous owner did not regularly replace the pins on the drive shafts, then flat spots will form and those flat spots will cut into the out drives causing them to wear prematurely. I have a Tekno SCT410 that is 5+ years old and all original out drives on it, only because I replace the pins every 6 months or so