Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

What would be a good 4WD RC Buggy >£200 for my Grandson

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

What would be a good 4WD RC Buggy >£200 for my Grandson

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 09:49 AM
Rickskid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would be a good 4WD RC Buggy >£200 for my Grandson

Hi All,

My 6 year old Grandson lives in N Ireland. We go over and visit him for weekends a few times a year and he comes to us in England a couple times a year. A few weeks ago we were over with him and took him to Bill's Hobbies in Coleraine and bought him (after Bill's recommendation) a HDK Wolf 4WD Brushed RC Buggy, and a spare NiCad battery for it. The next day we took it on the beach, it ran well although the battery life appeared quite short for it's size. As he loved it so much we are looking at buying him another one for over here when he next visits. I can't help but feel that brushless and LiPos are the way to go and I'm looking at a new Brushless HDK Wolf 2 on ebay for £159.99 (we paid around that for the Wolf 1 and spare battery everywhere else they are over £200).

So firstly is the Wolf 2 Brushless worth getting? Is it durable? Or is there is something available in 4WD around that price point that is even better?

I would really appreciate some advice on this one please.

Thanks Rick
Old 05-12-2018, 08:27 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey mate! DHK is ok. For the budget, it's probably about the best you can get, especially if it's the brushless one. Brushless and Lipo is indeed the way to go. You'll need a LiPo charger too. Be sure you can get spare parts when something breaks. Getting another Wolf should make it easy for him to maintain since he's familiar with his already, too. Get a good LiPo pack, one with at least a 50C discharge rating and 5000mah capacity. A 2S pack should be fine.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:58 PM
EpoweredRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brush less and lipos is for sure the way to go but you will need a lipo charger that will balance the cells and you want to make sure you treat the lipos good, nimh you can do what you like to them, but lipos you don't want to keep fully charged you want to put them at storage charge when your finished and unlike nimh you want to make sure you dont run them down all the way and sadly the RTR truck and cars all have ESCS in them that don't protect them.. not trying to scare you just trying to educate you.
if your new and never delt with them do some reading