Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Summit vxl 1/16 or savage xs

Old 05-17-2018, 04:42 PM
Steven the beven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Summit vxl 1/16 or savage xs

Ive been saving up for a couple months and all the time I was set on getting the HPI Savage xs flux. I love jumping, bashing, speed, etc. I am very hard on my rcs. I love the little xs, but I never considered a 1/16 Summit vxl, which I think looks just as good if not better, has more suspension travel, is much much easier to work on, and more capable when I want to do some crawling. I like that too. Not serious crawling, just through some very light woods in the back yard. I don't crawl much. They are both fast enough so speed is not an issue, nor are looks. My biggest 2 fears/doubts is that the summit takes 1/16 batteries and electronics and the durability. I have another 1/10 scale so I couldn't use my batteries for both. Honestly I'd probably just run the summit on 2 6 cell nimhs. With durability, Ive heard the savage is almost bulletproof, but if something does break its hell to take apart. I've heard the summit isn't as durable, but is soo much easier to work on. With what I do stuff is bound to break on both (dirt jumps, occasional skate parks, etc), so there is a trade off. I work a lot on the summit which is easy, or I work less on the savage but its hard to work on. I like how the savage uses all 1/10 scale things and is durable but I like the looseness and suspaension travel of the summit. I also don't know if 1/16 is big enough for me either, but I think if would be fine. I don't really like to mod things much (other than to make it go faster or fix key break points) due to cost. i don't want to have to put in a bunch of money all the time. A few spares here and there are okay. I was also looking at the Hpi bullet mt flux but I'm not as big on the 8 shocks. Other than that it's fine though. Easy to work on, etc. Maybe even a Merv? Any thoughts/input? Thanks for reading this fairly large post.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:28 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A mini e-revo is not the way to go. I've read too many times that it requires too many upgrades to make it only reasonable. Small means not as durable. Usually. RPM makes upgrade parts for Traxxas, but not sure about the 1/16 stuff. HPI has been struggling as a brand, has almost gone belly up a couple times. But somehow is managing to hang on. Mainly thanks to the Savage.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:40 AM
Steven the beven

So that makes it between savage xs and bullet mt. Bullet is a little slower and has 8 shocks, but that is offset by it's extreme ease to work on and aluminum chassis plate. It's a full size 1/10 scale instead of smaller, but honestly I probably just need to know which one is more durable. My guess is the savage due to it's proportionally large arms compared to the bullet.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:58 PM
EXT2Rob

But the Savage has a lot of aftermarket parts available. Not so much for the Bullet.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:59 PM
Steven the beven

Fair point. Savage it is then. What about the erevo 2.0 (full sized) because I'd be willing to spend a bit more (found it for $200 more than the savage xs) if it's more fun.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:25 PM
Steven the beven

Im not really interested in after market stuff tho. Rpm is about it.i like the full size of the bullet but I just don't know if it's better than a xs.

Last edited by Steven the beven; 05-21-2018 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:44 AM
EXT2Rob

I was looking at the Bullet five years ago and someone here warned me off of it. Other than that I can't say. I haven't read about the new eRevo from anyone here, but the initial reviews I've read are very positive. Everything on it has been beefed up from the original to make it tougher. If you've got the extra scratch, I'd go for the eRevo.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:02 PM
Steven the beven

Yeah idk if I'll get a new erevo or a bruched mini summit and an xs. If I get the 2 minis I'll have another to drive when the other is waiting to be fixed, but I also already have another 1/10 scale for that. Thanks for your help. I'll choose between those two options.