Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

$250 bucks just not enough today??

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 05:13 AM
Darion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $250 bucks just not enough today??

Hello all!

So my son is 13 and has built a few RC cars now. First was a Grasshopper and the a T-02 platform 4wd Tamiya buggy. They were both $125 or less to see if he would like the hobby, turns out he loves it. He likes it so much he is working in a 3D printed 1:12 scale pan car at school using Onshape to print parts.

The question is what to do next? He would like a better kit and not a retro remake. Looking around online the $250 range is a tough go for off road kits, at least as far as I can see. Also, where do ya guys like to shop online? I don't have a lot local options and when I look online its always the same 4 companies. It just seems as if the gap from basic kits to the better ones is a big step compared to years ago. Ok, any ideas are welcome and the information provided is appreciated.

As a side note, we have trucks, a 4wd Traxxas Stampede and an HPI 4wd Savage gas that I did a brushless conversion on, really don't need another truck. lol

Thx,

PC
Old 04-10-2019, 08:03 PM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

Check out PR Racing, they have a really wide range of options and are very good quality. I would contact "The RC Pro Shop" and ask for a discount coupon, they are usually pretty good about that for first time buyers, with plenty of kits to choose from in your price range:
https://shop.thercproshop.com/pr-racing/pr-racing-kits

You can get most stuff from AMain, I also buy direct from HobbyWing and Trinity, some sources for batteries are SMC, ProMatch Racing and Value Hobby.

Good Luck!
Old 04-12-2019, 04:45 PM
Darion

Thanks for the info. We ended up picking up an RC10 6.1 Team Kit buggy from fleebay on an offer, it's new and worked out to be $40 less than online, so $280.

I booked marked the shops ya mentioned, thx for that.

PC
Old 04-14-2019, 07:03 AM
RcFnatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amain hobbies is a really good site. They carry many different things.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:39 AM
Darion

Originally Posted by RcFnatic
Amain hobbies is a really good site. They carry many different things.
Totally agree, they have been good in the past, nice variety too.

PC