RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Battery Question Nimh vs Lipo

Old 06-30-2018, 05:57 PM
F1andy83

Default Battery Question Nimh vs Lipo

All,

I am very interested in getting 1/8 Scale brushless buggy, but so far all of the ones I see are LIPO battery. Now I know I sound crazy, but all I read is how you have to extra super careful with charging, discharging, and storing these. Is it possible to us a NIMH battery on a LIPO car? this is not for racing, but just fun. I was hoping to get one of these

Nomad DB8 Limited Edition
LST 3XL-E 4WD Monster Truck RTR

Andre
Old 06-30-2018, 08:37 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default No worries mate

Andre, really, there's no big deal with LiPo batteries. And the upsides are way better performance. All ya have to do is get a decent LiPo charger, which is easy and inexpensive to do, and you're golden! Charge them, use them, then set the charger for Storage Charge. The charger will automatically charge or discharge the pack to 3.80V per cell, the battery's "resting voltage", and that's all! Next time you want to run the car, set the charger to Balance Charge. That makes sure the cells are balanced. Run the battery. When yer done, Storage Charge it. Done. No big deal. Your new ESC will like it better too. NiMh pack voltage sags too much which can set up damaging "ripple currents" in the ESC. You don't wanna do that to your new ride, do you? Of course you don't. Trust me, NiMhs don't like brushless motor systems any more than the ESC. A good brushless motor system will suck the guts out of a NiMh pack in pretty short order. That pack will be so hot you can't touch it. That's not good for the battery, that's not good for the ESC, it's not good for your hand! And that NiMh pack after a dozen or two uses won't be able to hold a decent charge anymore. It's dead. I've done it. A good LiPo pack will last you years.

Brushless motor systems and LiPo batteries are meant to go together. Period. Full stop. Doing anything else is just not going to be satisfactory. If what I've explained above doesn't convince you, well......🙈

Last edited by EXT2Rob; 06-30-2018 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:23 AM
BelAirBob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you use the right charger, you should have no problem with a LiPo, but it is good practice to never leave the battery charging while you are not around

Have fun
Old 07-01-2018, 06:39 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

And what he means by "the right charger" is a LiPo charger. Never use a NiMh charger (or program) on a LiPo battery. That IS dangerous. I've been charging my LiPo packs for years, and I don't stand over them while they charge. A standard AC powered charger is only going to be able to charge it at a 1C rate anyway. (5 Amps for a 5000mah pack = 1C) It's not like you're going to be blasting it with 15 or 20 Amps from DC charger. Don't worry about your LiPo batteries bursting into flames. Unless you puncture the pack like you see some people doing on YouTube. You're not going to do that, right? 😁
Old 03-27-2019, 07:17 AM
RcFnatic

Just make sure you get a lipo with a decent C Rating for your system.
Old 04-06-2019, 12:39 AM
Charles Vane

I was like you four years ago, bought one Venom LiPo and was terrified of it. Now I keep a minimum of 8 LiPos in my spare bedroom in Army-issue ammo cans and have never had a problem. I even set them to charge and then leave the house. The only times I am extra cautious is when I drop a LiPo or have one start to puff up; then I leave it in the center of my garage's concrete floor. The only LiPo's that I have ever caught on fire were puffed up ones that I shot with a crossbow.

There are some basic rules to follow and as long as you follow them, you'll have no problems. LiPos have so many advantages and will change your RC experience for the better in so many ways. These batteries aren't that much different than the batteries in your laptop, tablet and cellphones. Do a web search on "proper care and usage of LiPo battery" and you'll notice the basic same rules.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:28 PM
Arrowfight

I’m a little bit in F1andy83’s boat, i’ve Used niMH battery’s but am now upgrading to brushless and want to get 3s lipos, what is a good cheap charger that you would recomend?