Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Request for next car to purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 07:09 AM
classic356

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Request for next car to purchase

Hello,

New member of sorts here. I first got into the hobby in the '80's when I was a pre-teen. Had a Tamiya Hornet, and then a Hot Shot I believe. I have two kids and purchased a re-release of the Hornet (looks just as I remembered except for the ESC and no need for the ceramic resistor) a few years ago and more recently a Dual Ridge TT-02B. My older son has the Hornet and now wants a four wheel drive like my younger sons car. In the sub $200 range for the car kit only, and probably wanting to stick with Tamiya, can someone make some recommendations? In being out of the hobby for so long, it was interesting to see the handling characteristics differences between these models and the vast amount of models and upgrades now available.

Thank you.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:47 AM
YAMAHASAVAGE

I’m making a return to the hobby as well, and have been reviving my older rc’s too. I also wanted a new kit to build but found the majority of trucks are ready to run which is fine but I enjoy working on them as much as driving. After some research I settled on the Tekno MC410. Check it out, it seems to be well engineered and sturdy. Mine is not fully built yet but it’s the only newer truck I can recommend.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:16 AM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

TEKNO is about the best quality kit you can get, very solid building instructions that in many ways are better than Tamiya, mostly because they offer more tuning options, unfortunately a new TEKNO kit will cost about $325 with a military discount.

Might be a typo because there is no MC410 that I'm aware of... of the 410 series they offer the following:

SCT410: Short Course Truck based on their 1/8 buggy chassis (EB48)
MT410: Monster Truck based on the EB48 chassis plus ET48 arms
EB410: 1/10 4WD Buggy
ET410: soon to be released 1/10 4WD Stadium Truck size platform

For someone on a tight budget that still wants to build a kit, then I would take a look at the ECX line which offer BTD (Build To Drive) kits with everything you need in the box. I feel that ECX is a step up in quality from Tamiya.

Another option worth exploring is buying a used TEKNO... you'll get plenty of experience wrenching on it between rebuilds.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:15 AM
YAMAHASAVAGE

Yeah my bad, “T” not “C”. Pricey but worth it in the long run. Being able to start with the parts you want is a plus, over the RTR sub par parts.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:29 PM
Tamiya-pigman

Talking

Tamiya blitzer beetle.

Oh you want a 4wd hmmmmmmm ok the very best tamiya i bought with 4wd was rockbuster .

Last edited by Tamiya-pigman; 07-15-2018 at 06:32 PM.