RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Looking for some suggestions

Old 02-08-2019, 02:43 PM
alex8828

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Looking for some suggestions

Hey guys,
I am in the market for new 1/10 RC Buggy Kit there are so many out there I am having a hard time picking what I want. Any personal thoughts?? My budget is $500.00 or so.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:21 PM
fishycomics

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well the best advice is to narrow down those kits, and then come back and tell us which 3 you like best, and we can then make you choose the right one.

FISH
Old 02-08-2019, 04:16 PM
bill_delong

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

$500 for just the kit or as RTR after all the electronics are added?

Are you starting from scratch or do you already have some components like radio, battery, charger, etc?

Will this be for bashing or club racing? If club, then what is the track surface?

2WD or 4WD preference?

If club racing, will be in stock or mod?

Last edited by bill_delong; 02-08-2019 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:25 AM
fishycomics

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think the Arrma series at 1:8 scale are a nice start.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:23 AM
alex8828

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by bill_delong View Post
$500 for just the kit or as RTR after all the electronics are added?

Are you starting from scratch or do you already have some components like radio, battery, charger, etc?

Will this be for bashing or club racing? If club, then what is the track surface?

2WD or 4WD preference?

If club racing, will be in stock or mod?
I have all electronics so I won't need to buy anything. At this point just for bashing and my preference is 4WD. I'm comfortable to spend just 500.00 on kit looking to build it.

Thanks,
AC
Old 02-10-2019, 05:31 AM
RustyUs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by alex8828 View Post
Hey guys,
I am in the market for new 1/10 RC Buggy Kit there are so many out there I am having a hard time picking what I want. Any personal thoughts?? My budget is $500.00 or so.
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
I think the Arrma series at 1:8 scale are a nice start.
Oh how I wish Arrma would do up their 6S lineup in kit form. But, OP wants 1/10 scale 4wd buggy kit. Arrma = no kit.

Last edited by RustyUs; 02-10-2019 at 05:37 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:22 AM
fishycomics

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Arrma has a 1:10th Typhon which is yep 1:8 lol

we all build the models we buy. like the Rustler its a basic starters kit tear out add on your favorite parts. (wink)
Old 02-10-2019, 09:53 AM
bill_delong

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There are tons of quality kits to choose from within your price range, most choices can be found at AMain 1/10 4WD Buggy

Of the kits available at AMain, I would limit your choices between my personal top picks:

1) TEKNO EB410.1 - Arguably most durable, but will nickle and dime you on upgrades, they offer 50% lifetime warranty on any worn parts mailed into them with no questions asked making this one of the least expensive brands to maintain. TEKNO is the current 13.5T National Champ and recently won the 2019 RROC.

2) XRAY XB4'2019 - Just a pinch over budget, but includes most upgrades needed for a basher, not as durable as TEKNO, but also a top performer, only complaint is high cost for spare parts making XRAY the most expensive brand to maintain

3) ASSOCIATED B64 - Least expensive, but also least durable of the three, parts are reasonably priced but you need to be a clean driver or this car might prove to be more expensive to maintain than XRAY.

There are tons of other options to consider in the first link I posted, but for one reason or another, I just don't think they are worth recommending.

If you're looking for a "diamond in the rough", then also take a close look at the PR Racing SB401 Type R , they have just updated it as the "Adam Drake" version with kits arriving in a couple weeks. You get every imaginable upgrade that makes it far more cost effective than anything else on the market, these kits are actually more durable than TEKNO, but only 2 distributors for parts currently in the US. I actually have one of these on order for myself after seeing another local racer run his PR for a while at the track in my area, having seen the quality of their product in person, I will be selling my TEKNO and going with PR, here's a video from Adam Drake to see the quality they put into this kit:
Old 02-11-2019, 02:53 AM
alex8828

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by bill_delong View Post
There are tons of quality kits to choose from within your price range, most choices can be found at AMain 1/10 4WD Buggy

Of the kits available at AMain, I would limit your choices between my personal top picks:

1) TEKNO EB410.1 - Arguably most durable, but will nickle and dime you on upgrades, they offer 50% lifetime warranty on any worn parts mailed into them with no questions asked making this one of the least expensive brands to maintain. TEKNO is the current 13.5T National Champ and recently won the 2019 RROC.

2) XRAY XB4'2019 - Just a pinch over budget, but includes most upgrades needed for a basher, not as durable as TEKNO, but also a top performer, only complaint is high cost for spare parts making XRAY the most expensive brand to maintain

3) ASSOCIATED B64 - Least expensive, but also least durable of the three, parts are reasonably priced but you need to be a clean driver or this car might prove to be more expensive to maintain than XRAY.

There are tons of other options to consider in the first link I posted, but for one reason or another, I just don't think they are worth recommending.

If you're looking for a "diamond in the rough", then also take a close look at the PR Racing SB401 Type R , they have just updated it as the "Adam Drake" version with kits arriving in a couple weeks. You get every imaginable upgrade that makes it far more cost effective than anything else on the market, these kits are actually more durable than TEKNO, but only 2 distributors for parts currently in the US. I actually have one of these on order for myself after seeing another local racer run his PR for a while at the track in my area, having seen the quality of their product in person, I will be selling my TEKNO and going with PR, here's a video from Adam Drake to see the quality they put into this kit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eVVy2Fkb8M
Thanks for all that information! I will look at each kit and read up on them.