Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Newbie needs help

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 09:04 AM
lockandload57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie needs help

Hi to all, I am new to this sport and my question will be like asking which is better a Ford or Chevy but here goes, I am needing help on picking out a truck, in I am in the market for a short course truck, I know I want 4wd and think I want a brushless motor in a 1/10 scale it seems when I look the main brand I see is Traxxas but are there some other brands that are just as good and upgradable and am I just paying for the name Traxxas, any help will be appreciated.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:52 AM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

I have outlined lots of factors for you to consider and ranked many different options here for you to explore:
Which 1/10 4WD SCT is best?

Best of luck with your decision!
Old 02-20-2019, 05:51 PM
lockandload57

Thank you for your reply
Old 02-23-2019, 08:56 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Won't lie Traxxas does have one thing over other brands. That is they almost never change anything on their models(outside names, and bodies), and seem to never replace them so parts are very easy to find. They also share a lot of parts between models on top of that.
I have a Stampede from the early 2000's, and could still easily find parts for it(that is if I cared to fix it) whereas other brands do drastic changes every few years, and you are basically stuck for parts with what inventory hobby shops have lying around when it gets discontinued, or like on one RC I had years ago I had to buy used whole vehicles for spare parts.
Basically Traxxas comes up with an idea, and just slaps a new coat of paint on it every so often for 20+ years.

Note not saying they are good just they are super easy to find parts. Generally I found Traxxas's vehicles handling to be abysmal out of the box when compared with other vehicles, and they needed a lot more work to get them running to be just right IMO. Like for instance I bought a Mini E-Revo years ago, and it took me like $50-$60 in parts to make it not handle like complete ****. It also depends what you want out of the vehicle my nephew loved his Stampede when he was into RC's which was basically 100% stock I personally didn't care much for it.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:34 PM
lockandload57

Thank you