RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Toystore Replacement - Looking for a step up

Old 02-25-2019, 04:53 PM
txczshooter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Toystore Replacement - Looking for a step up

My son got a remote control monster truck for Christmas this past year and he absolutely loves it but it's really just falling apart already. It's a New Bright I think. Anyway, I'm looking for something
that is roughly $100US or less that includes radio. Preferably something with parts support. Something that isn't total junk (if that exists) My son has done really well with controlling the car but lets be real, it's pretty slow.
I just don't think he's ready for a full fledged 1/10 and neither is my wallet. But I also don't want to keep spending $30 every couple months.

I've been looking at the ECX 1/18 scale variety from Horizon or this https://hobbyking.com/en_us/quanum-v...buggy-rtr.html

Are there any other directions I should Look? Better quality Toystore brand?

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2019, 04:51 PM
RustyUs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you got a hobby shop near you that has ECX RCs/parts, you're going in the right direction. The smallest scale off-road RC that I would recommend... 1/10 scale, and that is simply because you would have a better choice of terrain to run on. Smaller scaled RCs get hung up on everything if you are off-roading. The ECX 1/10 scale 2wd truck lineup would be great RCs for the price they are at now. Don't go crazy with the power, and they'll hold up fine. Great trucks.

Is it important to you to get parts quickly? The one thing to take into consideration, for any RC that you are looking at, is parts support. You want to be sure you can find parts when you break something. The Quanum Vandal has been around for awhile and generally gets good reviews. Search for those threads on RC Groups.

Edit: I should have mentioned, you need to also look at what's included in RTR packages. A lot of times Ready-To-Run RCs need additional items to get up and running.

Last edited by RustyUs; 02-26-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:11 PM
bill_delong

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree with selecting 1/10 or larger to start with, most 1/18 cars tend to break and turn into money pits... ECX is solid quality on their 1/10 platforms, I would go with the ECX AMP if it were me.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:02 AM
txczshooter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So now I'm torn. I've got two competing hobby shops in town. Both carry Traxxas and both carry one of Horizon's entry grade. Shop A has ECX and says that the Helion Conquest line has issues so they don't cary. Shop B pushes the Helion stuff and says they don't carry ECX because their stuff has issues. I was looking into the Ruckus 1/10 and also the Conquest ST as alternatives to Traxxas. I was also looking at the LOSI 22S 2wd SCT and the Arrma Granite 4x4 and Senton 4x4. Granted, these are apples and oranges in terms of drive-train and style. These are all within reason of my budget, but the minute I think I've got it figured out, I'll read some review that talks about how it's garbage, even the Losi. Don't get me wrong, I realize the price point of these RTR trucks, I know stuff will break. I have local parts support for all of these brands. Does it just come down to what I like best in this realm of $220 or less?
Old 03-03-2019, 12:02 PM
RustyUs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by txczshooter View Post
So now I'm torn. I've got two competing hobby shops in town. Both carry Traxxas and both carry one of Horizon's entry grade. Shop A has ECX and says that the Helion Conquest line has issues so they don't cary. Shop B pushes the Helion stuff and says they don't carry ECX because their stuff has issues. I was looking into the Ruckus 1/10 and also the Conquest ST as alternatives to Traxxas. I was also looking at the LOSI 22S 2wd SCT and the Arrma Granite 4x4 and Senton 4x4. Granted, these are apples and oranges in terms of drive-train and style. These are all within reason of my budget, but the minute I think I've got it figured out, I'll read some review that talks about how it's garbage, even the Losi. Don't get me wrong, I realize the price point of these RTR trucks, I know stuff will break. I have local parts support for all of these brands. Does it just come down to what I like best in this realm of $220 or less?
Yes. What you got going for you is the two hobby shops carrying parts for for all the brands you have listed. Bonus!

I would first recommend deciding on what style/platform you like best i.e., short course trucks, monster trucks, buggy, or stadium trucks. Start there, and then decide whether or not you want 4wd, because now you have upped the ante with "in this realm of $220 or less". I don't think there is a terrible RC from any of the brands you listed. Every RC has it's share of little issues I think. The problem comes when a person gets bored with so-so speed and then dumps too much power into the RC...finding out they need to upgrade something else to keep up with the power plant.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:55 PM
txczshooter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by RustyUs View Post
Yes. What you got going for you is the two hobby shops carrying parts for for all the brands you have listed. Bonus!

I would first recommend deciding on what style/platform you like best i.e., short course trucks, monster trucks, buggy, or stadium trucks. Start there, and then decide whether or not you want 4wd, because now you have upped the ante with "in this realm of $220 or less". I don't think there is a terrible RC from any of the brands you listed. Every RC has it's share of little issues I think. The problem comes when a person gets bored with so-so speed and then dumps too much power into the RC...finding out they need to upgrade something else to keep up with the power plant.
Yeah, when I realized that 1/18th scale was not practical, staying at $100 wasn't either. The problem is I want them all. I think this has fueled a new frenzy, which I was afraid of. I don't see us ever racing, but it seems like the short course is kind of a balance between stadium and monster. Need to stop worrying about choosing "wrong", and think of it as an exploration. I've only ever had 2wd buggies. I'll be driving mostly on pavement and dirt with some mild jumping. They'll probably all do that fine.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:12 PM
bill_delong

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ECX has a far better track record than Helion based on my personal observations of both brands over the years. ARRMA is a step up from ECX... if you're in the market for a 4WD SCT, then there are some brands worth exploring here as well:
Which 1/10 4WD SCT is best?

Good luck!
Old 03-05-2019, 11:21 AM
txczshooter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well - I couldn't decide. So I ordered 2. I picked up some extra work this weekend, I figured we'll try both.

I ordered the basic Rustler XL-5 RTR, and an Arrma Granite MEGA 4x4 from AMain. I'm was really thinking of picking up the 4wd Quanum Vandal buggy from HobbyKing, it's almost worth the Hobbywing Brushless combo alone. But we'll see how these go. Yeah! So a 2wd stadium truck and 4wd Monster Truck. I'm looking forward to some bashing fun with my son. Now I just need to find a body for my Kyosho Sand Scorcher.