Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Ughh is it supposed to be like this?

Old 04-30-2019, 08:50 AM
redride27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ughh is it supposed to be like this?

I'm hoping someone has a hint on how to remove a brushless motor endbell screws that are starting to strip. I have a losi tenacity t that has been nothing but headaches . Cracked servo case, leaking diffs, and now the motor endbell screws are giving me trouble. I can tell from looking at them that they have been removed before. The included Allen key has a ton of play when inserted into the screw, so before even trying that I dug through my pile of Allen keys to find something that might fit better. No luck. .. . I gave one screw a try and it did what I thought it would (rounded out the screw head).
PS- don't buy this truck, I suspect I was sold a used unit. Screw heads showed signs of being removed and reinserted , servo bushings (internal ) worn out before I even hooked up a battery. And now the rear bearing in this motor looks like it's locked up. It's not spinning but the shaft is.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:28 AM
fishycomics

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you talking a grub bolt that is on a pinion gear? if a hex does not fit try a torx, and heat may help some but all else fails I used a drill bit. and get a new bolt....
Old 04-30-2019, 09:37 AM
redride27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No i removed that without a problem . It's a dynamite fuze brushless motor. 5 screws hold the end-bell onto the housing. I'm currently grinding down a Allen key that has a slight taper towards the end. I'm hoping for a tighter fit, I need access to the internal bearings

Last edited by redride27; 04-30-2019 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Longer explanation
Old 04-30-2019, 01:57 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by redride27
I'm hoping someone has a hint on how to remove a brushless motor endbell screws that are starting to strip. I have a losi tenacity t that has been nothing but headaches . Cracked servo case, leaking diffs, and now the motor endbell screws are giving me trouble. I can tell from looking at them that they have been removed before. The included Allen key has a ton of play when inserted into the screw, so before even trying that I dug through my pile of Allen keys to find something that might fit better. No luck. .. . I gave one screw a try and it did what I thought it would (rounded out the screw head).
PS- don't buy this truck, I suspect I was sold a used unit. Screw heads showed signs of being removed and reinserted , servo bushings (internal ) worn out before I even hooked up a battery. And now the rear bearing in this motor looks like it's locked up. It's not spinning but the shaft is.
No, it shouldn't be like this. This is another reason why I buy kits. If you bought the RC brand spankin' new, then you should expect everything to be new. Any inklings of tampering, or use of the RC, I'd be throwing the red flag, and sending the thing back.

Originally Posted by redride27
No i removed that without a problem . It's a dynamite fuze brushless motor. 5 screws hold the end-bell onto the housing. I'm currently grinding down a Allen key that has a slight taper towards the end. I'm hoping for a tighter fit, I need access to the internal bearings
Be sure to heat the screws up so that any thread locker lets loose. Some motors use 2mm screws on the end caps. I had one instance where I had to drill the screws out and then tap for 3mm screws. Yes, been there.