RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

to lube or not to lube?

Old 06-14-2019, 08:24 AM
RabidDog

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default to lube or not to lube?

So after the last race,i heard some clicking coming from my transmission in my SC10b RS,took it out,it was binding in 1 spot,just would stop with hand force,so ima rebuild it.
Now from the manual,building the trans,it does NOT say anything about lube in the trans,but it does in the diff.
Now in the manual of my Pro sc10,which basically looks the same on the inside,it says lube it up with TA black grease.
So conflicting...so I suppose a little grease couldnt hurt,Im not going to pack it in,figure a little here a little there..
thoughts??
Old 06-14-2019, 04:34 PM
RustyUs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I never used to lube my Associated trannies. The diff/idler gears are, pretty much, self lubricating, trannies were always quiet (most of the time), and gears handle lots of power. Manuals never showed to lube the gears...our RCs survived . Then somebody got the bright idea to put a drop of shock oil on the gears and they claimed to make the tranny quieter, or was a "speed secret". If gears are all new and clean, I'll put a drop of shock oil, or dab of diff lube on the idler gear, and let it work its way around to all the teeth. I guess it's common practice nowadays to use a drop/dab of diff lube on the gears as Associated now notes to do so in manuals of newer platforms.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:38 PM
RustyUs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bit off topic, but I got to know. What kind of power are you putting through your SC10B?
Old 06-14-2019, 05:33 PM
RabidDog

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by RustyUs View Post
Bit off topic, but I got to know. What kind of power are you putting through your SC10B?
all it can handle,i suppose it was going to happen..as It is a old model and when I got it she was unused for a bit a a little rusty.
a hobbywing max10/5400kv..87 spur 16 pinion,turned way down for my track,but got it dialed in for the double single nicely.
triple coming soon...
and as soon as a state or sheriff stops in my work,as most times I have my truck in my truck,ima slap the 24 pinion gear in and have them hit it with radar,cause its moving when im on the street.
Prosc10 stock..reedy 3300kv sl600,was my main till I got the B.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:17 AM
RustyUs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Skulls, guns, bat wings (?), and bullet holes...love looking at pictures of people's rides. I'm a bit upset that I never picked up a SC10B. The platform had so much scale appearance, I hoped the class would take off, and become the "new thing". I was holding out for a Factory Team edition, but that SC10B FT never materialized .
Old 06-15-2019, 06:05 AM
RabidDog

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by RustyUs View Post
Skulls, guns, bat wings (?), and bullet holes...love looking at pictures of people's rides. I'm a bit upset that I never picked up a SC10B. The platform had so much scale appearance, I hoped the class would take off, and become the "new thing". I was holding out for a Factory Team edition, but that SC10B FT never materialized .
bat wings maybe..i callem shark fins,,i lost 1 last race..gonna make new ones this week when i get my new body,with the extra lexan.
My friend is a air brusher,So he bought me a raptor svt body,and i gave him freedom to paint what he wants.i wont see it till I opne the box.
I love the B more than the Pro,and ppl at the track love it too,its the only 1,and none have any idea what it even is,I dont race buggy class,the say its a stadium truck,fine by me.
Pro trophy body.