RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Looking for a kit... do they still do that?

Old 10-04-2019, 09:18 PM
TroyO

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Looking for a kit... do they still do that?

I have fond memories of building a Tamiya Wild One as a kid, and would like to find a similar challenge for my 7 year old.

Since I remember that car struggled in grass (not that I didnít run that thing everywhere and beat the turds out if it, lol) Iím thinking a 1/12 or 1/10 scale 4WD model might be better.

Does anyone know of a lower price kit like that? If such a beast doesnít exist, what about a $100-$200 RTR thatís made of actual parts? (So I can tear it down and make crappy instructions, :-)
Old 10-05-2019, 04:43 PM
RustyUs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had a long write up, but lost it. Anyway, the only true kits out there, besides Tamiya, are primarily "race" oriented with a monster truck, or crawler here and there. If you are not wanting to spend a few hundred dollars on a kit, then options are slim. The EXC Amp can be had as a Build-To-Drive type kit, but doesn't let you choose what electronics you want. They did not used to be, but the ECX line is now available in hobby stores only...dumb IMO.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:49 PM
TroyO

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Iím fine with a Tamiya kit.... after a few searches, holy crap they do still make kits.

They even re-released some classics. I like that.

Iím eyeballing the TT-02B series now.... kit based, 4wd and seems pretty popular so parts should be out there. $120-ish for the kit, radios are cheap now and still need a whole battery setup. I think they are all the same except body styles?

Thats ballpark of what I want.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:10 AM
zedorda

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I bet you are not looking for a Traxxas but they do have the Stampede 4x4 in kit form now.

https://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-67010...19351995&psc=1
Old 10-12-2019, 02:30 AM
RustyUs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, Tamiya still makes kits, but some of the prices on them are outta whack for what you get IMO. I started out with The Frog when they first came out. I think I paid around $80 for The Frog. If you plug that figure into an inflation calc, you get $197.54...that's seems outrageous to me now.

Over the years, I've come to appreciate what goes into a fully fledged racing platform...even when just bashing. Sometimes it's hard for a person to go backwards in technology once they have a taste of newer stuff that's available.

Sure, an all plastic Tamiya kit can fill a void. I was in the mood for a 1/10 4wd buggy once more (my last one was an Optima, and the re-release is overpriced). It's funny you mentioned the TT-02B chassis. That was my choice as well when I started searching for a fun running Tamiya. I had a Neo Scorcher (metallic pink) in one of my wish lists. The price was right ($115-ish), and while waiting for them to be released, my backyard track conditions changed. I've given up on buggies, at the moment, solely because of ground clearance limitations.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:06 AM
RustyUs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
I bet you are not looking for a Traxxas but they do have the Stampede 4x4 in kit form now.

https://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-67010...19351995&psc=1
I am still not happy with Traxxas with what they did and all their shenanigans in the hobby. Probably why I purposely overlook anything they put out. That being said, nobody new to the hobby, or someone coming back into the hobby...they will not know why Traxxas leaves a bitter taste with a large number of folk.

RCU is all but dead. I don't know why I even type stuff up.

Even though I hold a grudge, I can't help but applaud the Stampede 4x4 being offered as a kit to the off-road crowd. I'm not a monster truck fan, nor do I know what the current sales numbers are at for each company. The Rustler has been a number one seller for many years...that's where I would have started with kit offerings. Hopefully, the trend will grow, and other "basher" brands (Arrma, I'm looking at you) will join in for a possible kit revival.

Anyone that is looking for a kit, I urge you to take the time to express your thoughts. Write a letter, email, tweet, get on facebook, and tell your favorite RC manufacturer that you would really like to see a selection of kits offered.