Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Canít decide on new rig!!

Old 12-02-2019, 07:28 AM
Hayron1088

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Canít decide on new rig!!

Iíve been in the rc world for over 20 years and Iím at the point where I have little monsters that are showing interest in rc. I have a few helicopters and a few 1/18 scale buggies and 1/10 buggies right now. Iím in the market for a 4wd truggy. Iíve been looking at the muckrakers by exceed and the zd racing truggy. I will also be taking it to my local track for the occasional race night. Can anybody give me there two cents? My spending limit is under 400.00. I know the zd is off brand but it looks like itís pretty universal and easily upgraded with name brand parts(or not)? Hope to hear from you pros soon!
Old 12-02-2019, 05:24 PM
bill_delong

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hate to throw a wrench in your plans, but the Exceed and ZD Racing brands just won't hold up on a race track... not trying to be a hater, but just want to help save you a lot of frustration so you don't go home early with a pile of broken parts

While technically a "race grade", I still wouldn't recommend it, but this would be the "bare minimum" Truggy that just might get you through on a tight budget:
$310 HoBao Hyper10TT RTR

There is a USA distributor to get your parts here:
RC Parts, Hyper 10 TT, Hyper 10 TT-E HoBao Enterprising

I have owned and raced the 10TT many years ago, the design is extremely dated and lacks the following:
* Design flaw on steering rack, doesn't turn sharp enough in both directions
* No quick access diffs, will be more difficult to maintain
* Limited spring and sway bar selection
* Severe lack of tuning options, no adjustable pill inserts, no ackermann tuning, no emulsion, etc..
* Stock up on arms,spindles, shock shafts and hub carriers!
* Plan to spend another $200+ on upgrades from Integy and T-Bone Racing to make this truck reasonably durable

It's really not worth the hassle for the price.

If you want to save yourself money and frustration, then I would only consider one of the modern race grade options which will stand the test of time, I have created a spreadsheet here comparing features between the top 3 current brands:
Mini-Truggy Options

Here is my review of the 401R-T and would highly recommend this kit, you will get the most bang for the buck!

Best of luck on your decision!

Last edited by bill_delong; 12-02-2019 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:16 PM
Hayron1088

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wow thank you for the in depth reply! Just what I was asking for thank you!