Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

RC10 or Losi RTRs that is the question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 07:19 PM
boogels333

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC10 or Losi RTRs that is the question.

First of all i am new to the hobby and I want/need a fast rtr touring car. I Have the cash but i dont know witch one to get. I have heard of the TC3 award winning Shat Drive Train but i heard the XXX-S RTR is faster butit is Belt Driven so witch one plz help.
[sm=confused.gif]
Old 10-05-2003, 08:03 PM
boogels333

Default RE: RC10 or Losi RTRs that is the question.

Another thing dose the Losi rtr come with the JR XR2i and what kind of radio dose the TC# RTR come with?
Old 10-06-2003, 01:14 AM
migueloo

the tc3 rtr comes with a useless radio, the losi xxx-s comes with a radio that you won't need to upgrade until you do some serious racing. i have a losi, and it's pretty good, but i don't know about the tc3 tough. are you considering a kit? because if you want something fast, your gonna need to get like a 10t motor. the esc that comes with the rtrs can't support less that 15t. you can get the tc3 factory team or the losi xxx-s graphitte for about the same price of the rtrs. just choose whatever car you like the most. there are alot of choices out there and are all about the same. it all comes down to driving skills and setup.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:03 AM
Gryphon

I'm new to this also.
I have a Losi XXX-s and my brother has the RC10 both new. There is not much difference. They both have a 19-turn motor.
But the Losi's radio is great VS. garbage from the other one.
After little more than 10 runs I felt the need to go faster.
I'm not into racing and this is just for me to have fun with and to beat all of my friends with.
So far my research has shown that I need a Novak model #1860 Super Rooster ESC( $120 from tower hobbies and has no limit on the motor you can run on it) and a Trinity D5 motor.
http://teamtrinity.com http://www.teamnovak.com http://towerhobbies.com

I picked this because some of the others ESC's that have no limit do not have a Reverse and there is no way I'm going to give that up. For organized event requiring no Rev, you can set it to no Rev.
There was also another good one for $100 by LRP model #8336 F1 Pro Reverse http://www.lrp-electronics.de but buy it from http://www.ehobbies.com
If you see the motor spec chart at the Trinity's web site, the single and double turn D5 motors have the same power and RPM (only 2 of them were doubles in the 7-8 turn range, the rest are all singles).
Trinity P94s can have more winds which I thought would give more RPM, but the D5's showed more RPM and power with their singles wind. All the D5s and P94s are in the $50-$58 range.
As far as number of turns, I'm still working on that.
Either way we will have to gear down on the pinion gear attached to the motors output shaft (fewer teeth and under $10, trinity's web site has some examples/recommendations, read their tech page.)
It looks like the up keep of the motors go way up with fewer turns. Read all about it there too.
I'm thinking about possible a 8-10 turn motor, but first I will see who around me can turn the Comm, because buying a whole armature replacement is $42, forget that, I rather pay $2-$5 a pop for some one with a Comm lathe to clean it. After several times, when the Comm is too thin, I will buy an armature. Changing brushes 2 to 3 times more often than turning the Commutator.
Stay with 6 cell and pull out the 7 Cell in case of an emergency, or just before you get the Cumm cut.
I think I will try and replace the 24-tooth pinion with a 16-tooth pinion to start with, because the motor will have twice the RPM and power of the original. That should get me 1/3 more top speed and a whole lot more acceleration. Not gearing down enough will over heat the motor, it is already going to be way hot.
The above has taken me a few days of research; I hope it will be a good start point for your research.
Team Losi XXX-S sport's plastic body has a way better paint job too, way better. Mine is the Cherry color.

If I can help further, then send me a P.M. just incase I don't read this tread further.
Good luck

Gryphon
Old 10-07-2003, 12:28 AM
migueloo

hey gryphon, where do you race at?
Old 10-07-2003, 08:30 PM
boogels333

whitch has beter acceleration and speed?
Old 10-07-2003, 09:16 PM
mtrchamp
My Feedback: (4)

the Losi is definently the way to go. I have a Losi offroad and It's nothing but great things. The TC3 is good if you have a lot of money to invest in on parts, new tires, radio, lubes, etc. The losi is reliable up to the moment you have serious competition. Go with the losi, they both make great cars and all but losi ends up on top