Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

NiMH Batt. Woo's

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 07:23 PM
mrjon53
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NiMH Batt. Woo's

Having problem with a GP 3300 matched pack, it was prebuilt and labeled B & T (or L) Blister Pack. I put on my intellapeak charger (made for both NiCd & NiMH) and it beeps at me telling me its done after only 2 - 3 min.'s, (after full discharge). I run it and its great for about a min. and a half. Please let me know what i can do to solve this problem.

thanks

Also i have a venom 3000 NiMh that does the same, can it be a problem with my charger (brand new) or did i not break them in properly?
Old 10-07-2003, 07:28 PM
mtrchamp
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: NiMH Batt. Woo's

It's not the charger, I have that same charger and it doesn't do that with mine. How many amps are yoou charging it at? For that charger you should only charge NMHI packs at like 3 amps at the most.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:54 PM
mrjon53

Been charging them at 5 amps, was told that that was were they needed to be at, or at least that that would do.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:57 PM
mtrchamp

yeah on the intellepeak charger that I have it has amps 1,2 and 3 in red and it's is labled NMHI try that. Otherwise it will fry the batteries, I've done that, it;s not very good. Are you slow charging or peak charging it? Try peak at 3 amps and if it does the same then try slow at 3 amps hope this helps
Old 10-07-2003, 09:54 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

It sounds like your charger is bad, how about trying dc only (like hooking to a car battery)? I assume you have the regular pulse charger?
Old 10-07-2003, 10:14 PM
mrjon53

Yes. What does using a car batt. change? And if the charger is bad is this common in buying chargers? they aint cheap and that kinda pisses me off it its the charger.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:17 PM
mtrchamp

it's not the charger, and using a car batter uses dc power not ac power different voltage and all. I had the same problem, you need to try slow charging one battery at 3 amps and peak charging one at 3 amps see which one works better. For me it was peak but sometimes it's slow charge.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:59 PM
Wookie
My Feedback: (5)

Sounds like you might be having charging problems. From your description of the problem it sounds like your charger is false peaking. Have you re-started the charger once it stops after 3-4 minutes of charge? If so did it continue with it's charge until it was fully charged? or did it stop again shortly after you re-started it?

This isn't an unheard of problem with NiMh's. The peak detection is set so low on the voltage drop that it can false peak early into a charge. Some chargers have built in lock out circuits that won't shut off (unless you manually stop the charge) the charge for the first 10 minutes of so to avoid this problem.

If you have to continually keep starting the charge send it in for a warranty repair, just clearly state the problem. The peak detection could have been set so low from the factory that it's too sensitive.

As for charge rates with NiMh's. Some people charge them as high as 7 amps, sometimes higher with out problems. I charge mine at 5 amps and if racing will charge at 6 amps.

One other thing to try so you can see if it's your battery or charger. Try charging the batteries on a seperate charger (NiMh compatible of course) and if it charges with no problem, then it's probably your charger. If it has the same problem then you need to check your batteries.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:12 PM
mrjon53

ya, wish i had another nimh charger. Im trying it out again today.

Also can i charge a batt. and let it set fora day or 2 without hurting the batt?
i know it loses some of its charge.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:10 PM
SpoonAvenger

my friend has to adjust his threshhold when his NiMh's have been fully discharged, my charger does it automatically and i cant adjust it so i dont have to worry about it, but if yours is adjustable, u might wanna try that
Old 10-08-2003, 06:33 PM
mrjon53

So are you saying unlike a NiCd, that needs to be fully dicarged, a NiMH can be charged again with out having to discarge it?