Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Just got my Dash(looking at upgrading)

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 08:08 PM
HPIchuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got my Dash(looking at upgrading)

I opened the box to my HPI Dash about 5 hours ago. Been looking at it. Ive had experience with these type of RCs before. I will upgrade it. Just wait for the projects to get done and ill keep posting.
Project 1:
-installing 14t quad motor
Prject 2(later on in the not too distant future)
-figuring out how and then installing an ESC

you may think im crazy, but it will be done
Old 02-01-2004, 12:36 PM
Mike01

Default RE: Just got my Dash(looking at upgrading)

If you want to upgrade, why did you get a Dash in the first place?

You cannot upgrade a Dash. You might be able to jury rig something, but it will not work nearly as well as it should.

For the price of the Dash , the ESC and 14t motor, you could have gotten a Sprint or TC3 or a Losi XXX- S (with the later two, you could have fit right into the boy racer popularity club).

Why don't you just enjoy the Dash for what it is, use it to learn how to drive, and then get a upgradeable car?

I will never understand kids these days.

Mike
Old 02-01-2004, 12:48 PM
HPIchuk

yea kid shut up. it aint that hard to put in a new motor and it wasnt that expensive. the sprint costs 200+ $ and i dont have that kind of money. I didnt know the criticism of the Dash before i bought it in the first place. and i already know how to drive.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:40 PM
nitroguy123
My Feedback: (3)

You cant stick the 14t motor in it. Its just not made for it. And if do stick it in somehow it will just fry the circuit board on it. Face it, you will have to buy a new car to upgrade it. No way around it. Sry
Old 02-01-2004, 03:20 PM
Bjarne

Wow, I just checked out the dash at the HPI-site. All I have to say is, OMG that is the worst POS i have ever seen. It looks like a freakin Nikko-car!!! I wouldn't get one if some1 threw one at me...
Old 02-01-2004, 03:34 PM
raceme

lol thats why its a project....you guys are stupid (You cant stick the 14t motor in it. Its just not made for it. And if do stick it in somehow it will just fry the circuit board on it.)-nitro guy
thats why he had the second project for the esc. you could put anything in that car as long as you have the right stuff and can make custom parts, and creativity
Old 02-01-2004, 05:51 PM
Mike01

Yes, you can put anything in it...a 6 turn single motor, super rooster ESC (because it can take 10 batteries), 10 batteries, etc.

But WHY?????

It's not a piece of ****, it's good for what it is...something to have fun with in a parking lot. 15mph is plenty fast enough to have a good time.

But it's not built to anywhere near the quality of hobby class kits or RTRs like the Sprint or the XXX-S. So why waste your time?

You could have bought an HPI Sport 2 for 150 from Tower hobbies as a kit and bought all the crap you plan to put into your Dash. The end result would be a competetive racer, which the Dash will never be.

The Dash is not a hobby touring car...it's a toy or a trainer. There is nothing wrong with that...I woulnd not mind a Dash..I'm sure it would be fun to drive around without having to wory about maintenance ot too much cleaning and I'm sure the battery would last a long time.

But just accept that you bought something that wasn't what you wanted and move on.

At least you will have a factory painted and trimmed body and a set of wheels and tires. That alone might cost you a 100 bucks if you don't do it yourself.

Mike
Old 02-01-2004, 07:06 PM
ozzy9039
My Feedback: (6)

Go ahead with your project man. It's all about fun, so do your thing.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:20 PM
Mike01

You know what...that's true also.

The Dash is no less of what it is then some team racer kit from one of the big names.

After all..they're all toys, are they not?
Old 02-02-2004, 11:16 PM
nitroguy123

Umm.....have you seen the dash? It has a 380 type motor in it. If he wanted to put the 14t in it it basically would have to be all custom. Money wise and time wise it just wouldnt be worth it. And he said he was gonna put the motor in first then the esc in later.
ORIGINAL: raceme

lol thats why its a project....you guys are stupid (You cant stick the 14t motor in it. Its just not made for it. And if do stick it in somehow it will just fry the circuit board on it.)-nitro guy
thats why he had the second project for the esc. you could put anything in that car as long as you have the right stuff and can make custom parts, and creativity
Old 02-03-2004, 03:12 PM
Mike01

So he'll burn out whatever crappy circuitry is in the Dash and need to buy an ESC and a receiver.

Everything he buys will go into whatever kit he gets once he realizes the folly of his ways.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:53 PM
HPIchuk

obviously none of you have seen a dash in person. maybe i only had a certain amount of money and its slow going to save up. theres no way that a motor can fry circuitry the motor only gets the power that the circuits give it. i also dont have to put in an ESC in the car because theres no need to. all i need to put in the motor is a new pinion gear($3.00) and since i killed my knee two weeks ago all i can do is work on my RC car. Ive got the time. no more funding required for the project and alls it takes is looking at ways to route power and take off components that are not absolutely necessary for the car to operate. its not that hard, ive been doing it since i was seven. and besides, look at my signature, i didnt buy an rc car to race it. im just out to have fun and to keep my friends RC company. once the dash is modified it can compete with any other modified car that had twice the amount of money spent on it.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:33 PM
nitroguy123

Yes it can destroy the circuit because it will pull more power though the board then it was meant for. Thats why esc's have motor limits. Go ahead and try it but im telling you it wont work. Im not trying to be mean its just facts. Thats all. Trust me just keep it stock, have some fun while youre saving up to buy a more upgradeable car.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:48 PM
Element

Why don't you guys help the guy instead of criticizing him. Good luck on your project HPIchuk the only thing i would check before putting in the motor is the gears make sure it can handle the load of your new motor.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:24 PM
mrhappyman

Dude are you stupid chuck? Because i think you are.

If your ESC or MSC (whatever comes in the dash) can not take a 14T motor, and i doubt it can, it will FRY IT!!!!

LISTEN TO US! We know what we are talking about...just sell the dash to some little kid or take it to Ebay and make some money to buy the Sprint, XXX-s, or TC3.

-happy
Old 02-03-2004, 10:09 PM
off-roadkill

i dont know if u wana try it upgrade the gears and get new suspension because it well have a lot more tork but there are no replacment parts for the dash. ull have fun playin with it stock i had one thats what got me in to it and if u do it
Old 02-04-2004, 03:37 PM
HPIchuk

why do you criticize something that im sure most of you know nothing about. especially that one reply about everything being custom. you cant give help to someone who is doing something thats never been done before. instead you go and crack on it. if i suceed then itll show all of you but if i fail, so be it. i still have the motor and the car was only $100. like i said before. ive had experience modding things like this. everything ive set my mind to has been accomplished and no amount of money has been spent. i just used the materials that i had and put them to good use. ill post pictures when im done. thanks for the support from you who beleive in the "impossible"
Old 02-04-2004, 05:21 PM
Bjarne

Every1 can make it look good at a picture. If I am going to believe that u can run a 14t quad motor through that "ESC" or what the hell it is, I will need to see a video. And sry m8, u have misunderstood BAD about motors and how much power they pull. U might be able to run about 2 seconds at top speed before the circuitry is history. If the circuitry is so good and can handle all motors, why doesn't every1 use it? Only Nikko and all that other junk use it, try figure out the reason... Hint: CHEAP
Old 02-05-2004, 09:20 AM
ozzy9039

ORIGINAL: Element

Why don't you guys help the guy instead of criticizing him. Good luck on your project HPIchuk the only thing i would check before putting in the motor is the gears make sure it can handle the load of your new motor.

I agree....... some of the guys do have a point, but if you can do it.....go for it. Your car man...hey maybe you'll even find out a way to help all of us with your trials in modifications. Have fun. (That's all that matters)
Old 02-05-2004, 09:26 AM
ozzy9039

Also, this may help.....it may not....but it may give you a blueprint and you'll have to figure out where to go from there.

http://members.tripod.com/~TrEbOr69/speedcnt.html
Old 02-05-2004, 04:04 PM
HPIchuk

thanks for the link ozzy. ill have to try this. anyone got a link to the mappings of an integrated receiver/speed control? or do i have to find this out on my own?
Old 02-06-2004, 12:22 PM
Kitsune
My Feedback: (7)

Hey, I think it sounds like a cool project. I like to sometimes build these unique projects too. One time I put a hobby quality radio and a 9.6 (from a 6 volt) battery into this little TYCO mustang. It handled awfully, but man it could really go. I had to put weights on the rear to keep it from spinning the tires so much. If I put the weights a little higher up it would actually pull wheelies! It was a terrible driving machine (with no suspention and solid tires) but boy was it fun to drive.
You should still be careful with the stock ESC/reciver unit, though. It may not be able to handle the full power draw of the motor. I would start out with only 2 or 3 cells to beggin with. Or if you change to a better ESC like you were talking about you wouldn't have to worry about that. Good luck with your project. Show us some pictures when you're done.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:02 PM
HPIchuk

you know wut kitsune, your post makes me think. all im runnin is a 6cell 7.2V battery pack. this is what is being sent through the recevier and speed control and the circuits havent fried yet. the aftermarket motor cant pull more than this so i should be alright with installing the new motor. if some of you still object then what do you say about adding capacitors to the circuit(not directly to the motor) will this solve my problem of too much motor draw? if so, how can i install the capacitors to work?
Old 02-07-2004, 12:16 PM
HPIchuk

would adding capacitors on the circuit board or on the power source help with reducing strain from the motor pull at all?
Old 04-08-2004, 04:48 PM
Nitro7-inactive

i have one of these cars..... who wants it!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.