Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Subaru Impreza WRC 1/10 Bycmo

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 09:38 PM
halbrain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Subaru Impreza WRC 1/10 Bycmo

Thanks Brian, I'll be installing it in the next couple of days.

I might try a couple of capacitors on the motor to see if it makes a difference to the steering problem.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:44 AM
merolius

kewl halbrian, let us know how the capacitors go?
by the way i havent had any steering problems !
Old 01-26-2005, 06:46 PM
halbrain

I've wired up the ESC and bench tested. How did you mount the ON/OFF switch. The original mounting point is too big?
Old 01-26-2005, 07:05 PM
brianharman

Hi Bryan,

I mounted the switch in the same hole with the face plate but only used one screw. It has held there with no problems at all. How did you find the ESC. Did you notice a difference from the mechanical controller?

Brian.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:53 PM
halbrain

Brian,
thanks I'll give it a go. I was thinking about puting it somewhere where it can be reached without removing the body.

I have only tested the ESC with the car on blocks, I couldn't find my double sided tape to fix it in place.
Did you use the trim control on the transmitter to set the neutral position ?

Also for anyone who is interested I came across this article while researching interference. It covers suppression towards the end. It is aimed at model aircraft, but is probably relevent to cars as well.

Bryan
Old 01-26-2005, 09:00 PM
reddragon2000940

what parts do you need as i work for them i can get you all the parts you need cheap let me no what you want and i will get them
Old 01-27-2005, 06:08 AM
halbrain

Ummm, this should have been in my last post.
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/...ght_frame2.htm
Old 01-29-2005, 03:22 AM
brianharman

Hi Bryan,

Yes I used the trim control on the transmitter to set the nuetral position. Thanks for the tip on the web site. I might try shortening the wires to the motor and twisting them together before I put any capacitors on as they have suggested in the article. I will let you know how it goes. We should be receiving our next instalments on Monday and hopefully the new diffs!

Brian.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:18 AM
halbrain

Hi,
Monday night and no delivery !.

I took the car for a quick test run in the street on Saturday. The ESC makes a big difference, but the steering is still playing up. I'm waiting for the new diff before having an extended run.

I was able to do donuts without a locked diff !

Bryan
Old 02-03-2005, 12:21 AM
merolius

got the new tyre and rim , the tyre is definalty sticker in compound , the rim has a lot to answer for ..
Old 02-03-2005, 04:38 AM
halbrain

I'm still waiting for the next instalment.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:57 PM
tomsy

yeah me too
Old 02-07-2005, 06:19 AM
halbrain

I got Issues 43,44 and 45 today.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:45 AM
john j m

Hi Bryan,
Are you going to go for the optional extras after issue 45 ?

John[8D]
Old 02-07-2005, 10:02 AM
spurs rule forever

Hi
When i use my car it smells really bad like bad eggs i think it is the resister but i cant be sure does anyone els ehave this problem?
Old 02-07-2005, 02:47 PM
rpmf11781

Hy Guys. I'm from Portugal and I completed Subaru last year. I've enjoyed many hours with him. It pulled me for this hobby.
The spare parts for this model are really difficult to get because it seems that nowhere and no one here deals Bycmo. I bashed the car and got the chassis bended and radio support broken. I managed to build brand ones in aluminum. It got a bit heavier but a lot more solid. It still runs well. It's not a F1 car nor a jet but now that i have more powerful cars i still run him time to time . This collection was endeed a way to know how things work, expensive yes but very good. Enjoy your piece of work .
Old 02-07-2005, 04:27 PM
halbrain

Hi John,
Yes, I think I will. The wheels still don't sit right, they're are a bit loose still and I believe someone said in an earlier post that the new bearings etc. improve this.

I'm also interested in getting the new diff parts before mine packs up like the others.

It's going to cost another $149.50 AU, but I doubt that I can get the parts anywhere else over here.

I also got an order form for the missing frequency flag with the last issue.

Bryan
Old 02-08-2005, 02:28 AM
brianharman

Hi Bryan,

I, like you am going to get the remainder of the issues.
I think mainly because parts are going to be hard to get and the upgrades seem worth it as it makes it a better car. Makes you wonder why the upgrades weren't part of the original deal.
Apart from the diff drama, the car has run well since I changed to the ESC. Another part which you wonder why it was not sold this way.
I also recently purchased a new battery charger which is programable and charges in about 20-30 mins to full capacity and also tells you how much charge has been put into the battery. An excellent piece of kit.
Hopefully the new diffs will turn up shortly.

Brian.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:18 PM
halbrain

Hi Brian,
what brand is the charger and where did you get it. I finished up ordering one from the states. It auto detects the voltage and amperage charges the batteries and then switches to trickle, works for NiCd and NiMh between 4.8 and 12 Volt but not for packs below 1100mA.

I've put the stiffer springs on the car and the silicone dampers, but I'm not overly impressed by the way they work.

Bryan
Old 02-12-2005, 03:35 AM
steve_b9

hi spurs rule forever
that eggy smell is the wires on the speed control and resistor, this is on of the reasons i bought an electric speed control. because i woundnt call the original one safe.

have a look at all of the wire coatings and see if they have been melting. when mine did that there was smoke coming from it.

c ya
Old 02-12-2005, 07:13 AM
brianharman

Hi Bryan,

I bought the charger from Auswide and it is a brand called Chargetronic from SJ Electronics. It has 10 memory settings which you set up yourself for different batteries. It takes both Ni-Cd and Ni-Mh batteries from one to eight cells. You can set the battery capacity in the memory from 100mA up to 5000mA in 100mA increments and it charges from 0.1A up to 5.0A depending on what you specify, obviously the higher the charge the less time it takes. If you want to be lazy it will auto detect the battery and charge it for you! It also can be connected to your car battery if you don't have access to a power outlet. It cost A$120.00, which I thought was a pretty good price considering what it can do and the cost of a couple of others I looked at but couldn't do half of what this can. The only thing it doesn't do is discharge the batteries for you. And last but not least, it plays a tune when it has finished charging.
All in all not a bad piece of kit.

I found the new springs OK but the silicone dampers had to be so loose for them to work that it seemed a waste of time putting them in. I found the shims to stop the wheels wobbling not to bad. Hopefully the new bearings will fix this even more.
Have you received your new diff yet. I am still waiting.

Brian.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:56 AM
merolius

i found the silicone dampers only worked really good on three shocks , but after i swapped the internal rod between the rear shocks , now all work a treat , just swap them round as i found that one of the rods was jamming up in the adjustable metal platform ..
i noticed after i put the bearings and CV drive in that the wheel nut on the inside of the rim was being sheared off , so i might try and get a metal one ..

p.s i am now building a monster truck . i might use the old Subaru as a donor vehicle <insert evil laugh here<
Old 02-14-2005, 06:26 AM
merolius

update from latest . i put the new gears on , charged the battery , took it out front . omg this now does awesome drifts . flat out down the road , turn the wheel and drop the power it slides for ages , ended ripping the tyres of the rims .. power slides as well with practise . might need more room as i slid it sideways into the gutter .
Old 02-14-2005, 12:09 PM
john j m

http://www.swrt.com/cpimages/676756.jpg

Chris Goes Back to School
Most Australians are more familiar with sun than snow, but that's all changing for new Subaru recruit Chris Atkinson. Having moved to the UK from Australia's sunny Gold Coast at the end of last year, Chris will make his Subaru World Rally Team (SWRT) debut on Rally Sweden, so, last month, Subaru sent him to Tommi Makinen's Rally School in Finland for some special driving lessons. Alongside one of the finest rally-driving teachers, SWRT test driver Pasi Hagstrom, Chris buckled up to learn all about the white stuff...but unfortunatly not enough, he wrecked his car early on in the rally.
Click the link for a pic of Chris.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:06 AM
john j m

The smell that you have noticed is allmost certainly the heat from the resistors melting the mounting plate,see the link below for a mod that will get over the problem untill you get around to fitting a ESC

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...0509040004.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...0509040001.jpg

What you should see is the melted section of the mounting plate repaired with a piece of ply approx 35x35mm x 5mm fixed with two part resin. The resistors have then been mounted on a piece of asbestos 25x15mm x 5mm.

I found that this mod not only insulated the resistors from the plastic plate it also had the effect of placing the resistors higher into the cooling air flow. I have now opted for a LRP Electronic speedo the preformance of which is impressive.

John [8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.