Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official Rustler Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 08:41 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Official Rustler Thread

ORIGINAL: computerkid

hello phmaximus : ) , does that police car body on that post of yours , would it fit on a rustler XL-5 ???? i have a stock rusty xl-5 and would like to change the appreareance of it and that police car loolk would really be perfect : ) , if so where can i buy that police car body ror the rusty ?

another question : what good and economic brusshless ESC combo ( ESC and motor ) cam I buy for the rusty that can be able to use the 7c Ni-MH it came with and that in the future can use lipos , and also that can be able to run brushed motors , cuz have 2 of them and would like to use them with combo : ) , thanks in advanced ; )
That police car body is the same as the blue one its just painted diffrent (Subaru WRX)
To get that body to fit a rustler u would have to extend the chassis, there are few kits that would work, normally they use those kits so the rustler chassis can be used with a slash 2wd. Or u could extend the chassis the same way I did... heaps cheaper

Honestly unless u have a big budget forget about a ESC that can run brushed & brushless and forget about nimh batteries, the ezrun combos are very cheap & so are lipo batteries & chargers. 90% of the time nimh & nicd just dont have the power for a brushless system.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:42 PM
phmaximus

jsngnn22

Looks good,
did u forget to take off the windscreen mask?
Old 02-16-2012, 01:18 AM
phmaximus

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

Hows found this too.

traxxas is listing it for the rustler now....

Traxxas 6845- Duel Steering Bellcranks with intergrated Servo Saver

does that mean u if u had that fitted u could upgrade it with
ST6845B - STRC ALUMINUM STEERING BELLCRANK SET FOR SLASH 4X4

Hows ive been looking around, Did u know the bushes can be replaced with ballbearings....

and this is the STRC upgrade
Old 02-16-2012, 08:52 AM
Jackedman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

what do y'all think of my opinion?

So, I must put this out there. It's my opinion, and I believe everyone is entitled to at least an opinion, whether you agree or not. All I ask, is that you read and comment if you like, but please do not hate. No need for that, it's not helping anyone. So why's everyone all up on Traxxas about re-releasing chassis's (especially their 1/16 lineup) with some differences. Look, its not that big of deal. First of all, stop hating because no one is forcing anyone to buy it. If you no like, you no buy (in simple language for those who don't seem to understand). My point is, they are a company, meant to make someone a whole lot of money, and by re-releasing the same chassis's over and over in different vehicles, they can save money for themselves, ultimately making themselves more money. Look, I wish they would release something new too, but geez, get over it. Bottom line is that they are a company, meant to make a profit, and by incorporating the same chassis's into different vehicles they are making as much dough for their effort as possible. Like it or not, Traxxas is out to make money, and in my opinion (remember that part where I said everyone was entitled to their own opinion?) they are doing a damn good job of that. That's what I wanted to get across. Feel free to disagree or agree or whatever for all I care, but just do not make this a Traxxas haters hangout thread.
Holy crap I totally agree with you. One question tho where did all this come from?? What triggered you to say this??
Old 02-16-2012, 05:30 PM
computerkid

ok , would like to know if you can advice me on a good ezrun combo for my rustler and also a good charger that can also charge NIMH , cause i have 2 new brushed motors , that i still want to get the juice from them ; )and in between use the brushless system; until i get the hang on the brushless and LIPO's , so would apreciate your help and advice , i would be using it basicly on asphalt, a BMX track and on parking lots
what i have been using now is the stock titan 12t and the 7 nimh battery and on sport mode for me its fasttttt , so upon those facts would like your recomendations for a good and good price brushlles combo , that can give me good run times and that doesnt heat up , cause im not looking for too much speed just something good and reliable to start in the brushless arena
Old 02-16-2012, 06:20 PM
computerkid

Oh and by the way would like it to be easy to use, cause was looking at a EZ run ESC manual , and looked bit complicated , my XL5 is just so easy to set up
Old 02-16-2012, 06:56 PM
thehuntingterminator

ok , would like to know if you can advice me on a good ezrun combo for my rustler and also a good charger that can also charge NIMH , cause i have 2 new brushed motors , that i still want to get the juice from them ; ) and in between use the brushless system; until i get the hang on the brushless and LIPO's : ) , so would apreciate your help and advice : ) , i would be using it basicly on asphalt, a BMX track and on parking lots : )
what i have been using now is the stock titan 12t and the 7 nimh battery and on sport mode for me its fasttttt : ) , so upon those facts would like your recomendations for a good and good price brushlles combo , that can give me good run times and that doesnt heat up , cause im not looking for too much speed just something good and reliable to start in the brushless arena : )
for a charger i would go with the Thunder AC6 from hobbypartz. it comes with a Tamiya connector already installed, its cheap ($45), and it will do NIMH, lipo, etc. great charger, look it up.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:30 PM
computerkid

thanks thehuntingterminator , Perfect charger and at good price , well and about the brushless combo can you guys give set me up a combo or tell me a good one and at a good price ????? as i said i would be using it basicly on asphalt, a BMX track and on parking lots

thanks in advanced
Old 02-17-2012, 04:32 AM
phmaximus

Here is another charger worth a look, The charger is cheaper because it does not come with the power supply. mind u its only $10 for the powersupply.
I like these because if there are any problems with the power supply it can be replaced. There is a version with a built in powersupply that cant be replaced.
[link=http://www.ebay.com/itm/Imax-B6-2-6-cells-Lipo-NiMh-Balance-Battery-RC-Charger-/320840072212?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab38efc14]Click here[/link]

Dont worry the ezrun combos are easy to use, just plug and play. Yes there are other settings u can play with, but u dont have too and with the program card that plugs into the ESC u cant go wrong... it makes and adjustments oh so easy.
check this out its a 13t combo
[link=http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-Car-Ezrun-13T-35A-v2-ESC-3in1-brushless-Motor-combo-/260939776991?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc13903df]Click here[/link]
But if u want some more speed try this one 9t
[link=http://www.ebay.com/itm/EZRun-Combo-B2-35A-ESC-9T-4300Kv-brushless-motor-car-v2-/260828568196?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cba981a84]Click here[/link]
Old 02-17-2012, 04:36 AM
phmaximus

oh was going to say to keep the initial cost down U can buy the ECS, Motor & Program card separately but u will pay a little more in the long run.
thats what i do, week by week peice by peice

both those setups will be heaps more powerfull than ur current setup with a 7.4v (2s lipo)
on 11.1v(3slipo) it will be mental, and have some "crazy" speed, power & torque....

just to give u a idea of what to expect from the 9t setup
7.2v nimh like the batteries u have allready
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWGumWM1WhQ[/youtube]

on 11.1v 3s Lipo
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VbLNkzBAwM[/youtube]

Hows the power from the 11.1v lipo
Old 02-17-2012, 05:43 AM
computerkid

thanks phmaximus, good prices , and good to know the ez run is easy to use as just plug and play , and 2 more questions, do i have to change any gearing in other words , do i have to buy a new spur or gear (the one goes in the motor that makes the spur turn )to use this ESC and this motor ?

or i can keep using the stock spur and motor gear with this esc and motor combo ?

the other question is aparrently you linked some video of 7.2 nimh vs 11.3 vs lipo , but hey didnt get posted , can you post the videos again ? thanks
Old 02-17-2012, 12:55 PM
Muskokarc

Finally got the LST going and quite well.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmLVdg9AosE&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Old 02-17-2012, 03:24 PM
computerkid

ok now i saw the videos great diference one from another
upon seeing that video , would like to know if the stock ESC of the rustler XL-5 can use LIPOS ???? and if so what number or how many cells or voltage ?

and regarding using the brushless combo :do i have to change any gearing in other words , do i have to buy a new spur or gear ( the one goes in the motor that makes the spur turn  ) to use this ESC and this motor  ?

or i can keep using the stock spur and motor gear with this esc and motor combo ?

Old 02-17-2012, 04:51 PM
computerkid

was seeing some videos and read somewhere the ezrun 13T 35A sometime shows some cogging , what is that , saw on a video like it start to RR RRR RRRR and then takes off , , is that a easy to fix issue or is it something that can be avoided ????? or why does that happen ????
Old 02-17-2012, 06:58 PM
Jackedman

ORIGINAL: Muskokarc

Muskokarc dude you guys got dumped on. us in the city theres none. the only now we have is from where the plows have put it in the condo but other then that we have none. I've been riding the trails on my bike the whole winter just so i dont have to go to the gym. its great.

computerkid
the cogging i caused by many things. it would be the gearing, timing, meshing of the gears. It can be really be a number of thing it could be also be the throttle punch setting on the esc too. somwtimes and some people just kinda look pass it and dont worry about it. but as you learn and pick up a few things you know what to do righ off the hop and know what to change and when to change it. as for the xl-5 esc i think you need a low votage alarm for it to run lipo's. Those are cheap but just make sure you get the right one for the size of battery you buy. If your running the rustler in the training mode still and you say its fast enough for you know why look into brushless systems and lipo's???
Old 02-17-2012, 07:56 PM
computerkid

hello Jackedman, well the reason for the brushless esc and lipos is well just a time ago had an issue with the stock ESCand well aparently it got fixed , but just in case wanted to have a brushless combo on hand just in case the stock ESC goes out and at the same time getting familiar with brushless sytems , have read and have been told they give much more running time and the motor lasts longer , so thats why , and still would apreciate to know when using a brushless combo :do i have to change any gearing in other words , do i have to buy a new spur or gear (the one goes in the motor that makes the spur turn )to use this ESC and this motor ?

or i can keep using the stock spur and motor gearwith this esc and motor combo ?
Old 02-18-2012, 03:32 AM
Muskokarc

Jackdman, we had for the most part no snow till Christmas day. Then it just kept coming, but it would dump on us then melt some then freaze up again -28c up to +4c in 24hrs. then back again so lots of ice on back roads. Have some nasty ruts in ice on my road enugh so that you could almost let go of the steering and your car would folow along the ruts.

Compkid, Stock gearing will work fine wth brushless. The one thing you will need to keep an eye on any plastic gears you have other than you spur gear. The power from Lipo and brushless together is much greater than the stock. The way I upgraded was in steps. First change out the diferental gear with a metal geared one, then got brushless system and ran it on 7.2V nihm packs, then added Lipo power. All with the same pinion and spur gear. I also had to put in a sliper clutch system mine did not come with one back in the day.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:39 AM
phmaximus

Sweet, what was wrong??? glow plug???
What ya think of the little tip for priming the fuel system... works a treat for me

Old 02-18-2012, 03:49 AM
Muskokarc

Ya I used your tip to make sure the fuel ran freely to the motor.   I got the user manual online and adjusted it to their factory settings.  Now just need to work on my gear slipers.   Though had a oddity in that one time I when to start back up after stopping the clutch was still engaged so when I ran the spin start the truck wanted to roll.  Could be from the cold.  Lucky with the revers gearing I just put it into a nutural setting and started it up and then engaged the forwards gears and issue solved.  Love having the on board glow igniter one less thing to have to carry around.  
Old 02-18-2012, 04:00 AM
phmaximus

ok now i saw the videos great diference one from another
upon seeing that video , would like to know if the stock ESC of the rustler XL-5 can use LIPOS ???? and if so what number or how many cells or voltage ?

and regarding using the brushless combo :do i have to change any gearing in other words , do i have to buy a new spur or gear ( the one goes in the motor that makes the spur turn ) to use this ESC and this motor ?

Form memory ur rustler is newish right....
Does ur ESC say Low Volatage detection on the front?

just stick with 7.4v 2s lipo with the brushes system otherwise u will burn out the brushes.
a 7.4v lipo will easly out preform a 8.4v nimh on that setup... I know that for a fact, j

If u go brushless the stock gearing will be fine like Muskokarc said. U have to try it first
Just make sure u set the gear mesh correctly, we can help with that when u get a combo.

cogging... thats when the motor does not have enuff power to work out what way to spin.
99% of the time its because the battery cant supply the required amps to get it moving. rember brushless have there max torque just past 0rpm
There are a few "cheater" ways to reduce amp draw. one is lowering the tooth count on the pinion gear or increasing the spur gear, smaller wheels... or for more technical users play with the timing or punch settings.
U might get cogging if u use the 7.2v nimh batteries... thats why I dont ever recomend nimh or nicd batteries with brushless setups.
to be safe get a good lipo, 7.4v lipo 5000mah with around 35c output will never have any problems with cogging even with very tall gearing.
Once u have a good battery and a brushless setup, then its time to play with gearing to get the most out of it. the idea is to get it as tall as possible with out the motor overheating
Old 02-18-2012, 04:14 AM
phmaximus

Ya I used your tip to make sure the fuel ran freely to the motor. I got the user manual online and adjusted it to their factory settings. Now just need to work on my gear slipers. Though had a oddity in that one time I when to start back up after stopping the clutch was still engaged so when I ran the spin start the truck wanted to roll. Could be from the cold. Lucky with the revers gearing I just put it into a nutural setting and started it up and then engaged the forwards gears and issue solved. Love having the on board glow igniter one less thing to have to carry around.
Ive had that issue with sand and crap sitting into the clutches.
take the motor out & remove the clutch bell, give it a good clean with some sand paper on the inside where the shoes grip, make sure there are no burs on it or the clutch shoes... might even be worth getting some new shoe kit while its appart they should be cheap.

Those onboard glow igniter are great but can be prone to problems, ive never had a problem, but ive worked on cars with that problem. its good idea to keep a old fashion rechargable one in the tool kit just incase
Old 02-18-2012, 05:06 AM
rayndog3

Computer kid, that small gear on the motor is called a pinion gear.  ( just do you don't have to keep describing where it is lol)

The cogging from my experience is gearing. I am using an ezrun 60 amp esc with a 6000kv motor running 2s in one of my rustlers, and with a 19 tooth pinion and 86 tooth spur it would cog when punched. I put in a smaller 12 tooth pinion with the same 86 tooth spur and the cogging disappeared. Just make sure you mesh the gears correctly, don't have it too tight or too loose. 
Old 02-18-2012, 06:52 AM
Jackedman

Computerkid if your going to get brushless just make sure your transmission can hold up. So make sure there's no plastic gears or else you will strip it out right away. Like I did and I was pissed cause I want to run it
Old 02-18-2012, 06:59 AM
rayndog3

ORIGINAL: Jackedman

Computerkid if your going to get brushless just make sure your transmission can hold up. So make sure there's no plastic gears or else you will strip it out right away. Like I did and I was pissed cause I want to run it
If its a newer rustler tranny you'll be fine. I've run mine with brushless for a year now and they only thing that broke in my tranny was the rolled pin on the top shaft. spurs on the other hand, those will be easier to strip if not meshed properly.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:06 AM
Muskokarc

It is a fresh clutch system I put in during the rebuild.   Will check the clutch when adjusting the gear change.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.