Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official Rustler Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 10:27 AM
rc theman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Rustler Thread

You can cut the back of your batterie tray to fit that battery
Old 08-12-2010, 12:37 AM
Damon--

New to here, just ordered a Rustler VXL, should have some pics and maybe even some videos soon!
Old 08-12-2010, 12:49 AM
Damon--

Signature says it all!
Old 08-12-2010, 11:40 AM
RBair612

I'm thinking about using Pro-line's ProTrac suspension arms (for the slash) on my old Rustler, which will make the front end as wide as the rear. The problem is that if I use the Rustler's stock front wheels the truck will be too wide to meet ROAR rules and I won't be able to race it at my local track. So I would like to know if anyone could tell me if either HPI's Classic King or 2.2" dish wheels will work to keep the truck race legal? (I'm also open to other wheel suggestions.)
Old 08-18-2010, 03:03 PM
RBair612

Ok, never mind, after investigating it for a while, I've decided to scrap that idea & go back to the original plan, which is to use RPM arms & traxxas turnbuckles, instead of Pro-line ProTrac arms & Factory Team titanium turnbuckles.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:21 AM
justin_92_92
My Feedback: (2)

i have a bone stock rustler vxl. I also have a 6400mah 3s lipo pack for it....I imagine I have to change gearing.....what should i go with...and whats the biggest battery I can run stock gearing? Thanks all!
Old 08-20-2010, 07:44 AM
warheadforever

ORIGINAL: justin_92_92

i have a bone stock rustler vxl. I also have a 6400mah 3s lipo pack for it....I imagine I have to change gearing.....what should i go with...and whats the biggest battery I can run stock gearing? Thanks all!
I would say nothing lower then a 24/87 on a 3S, Stock, I would keep it to a 2S.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:46 AM
warheadforever

ORIGINAL: RBair612

Ok, never mind, after investigating it for a while, I've decided to scrap that idea & go back to the original plan, which is to use RPM arms & traxxas turnbuckles, instead of Pro-line ProTrac arms & Factory Team titanium turnbuckles.
Hello, I am sorry I didn't respond, but I had no idea on that kinda of stuff, so I really wouldn't be able to help you.
I was kinda hopping that someone else might know, but it seem like no one posts here anymore. []
Old 09-10-2010, 10:22 PM
momogt

has anyone every used the integy cvd,s on there rustler do they fit the cups good ordo they pop also i have aluminum rear hubs and toe links will they work good with them i ask because i get some off brand cvd,s off ebay that were **** they didnt fit good and with my brushless set they broke the same day i put them on
Old 09-11-2010, 03:55 AM
esky77

hi all ive got a rustler with a novatech 5500kv motor and esc combo also using 2 cell 4000mh lipo im running a gear ratio of 21/86 any suggestions would be good also the esc seems to get hot but the motor seems fine and after a while it starts to surge so any help would be awsome

thanks
Adam
Old 09-11-2010, 06:55 AM
Mazda ute

This will be up for sale if there is intrest PM me.

ORIGINAL: Mazda ute

Here is a rew pic's of my Rustler. It near 100% FLM beast (its not heavy at all few grams heavier than a stock one) Thorght you guys might like this one.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:57 AM
Mazda ute

One more with the info on the beast..

One more pic of the trans

These are most of the mods and parts used.

Fastlane Machine FLM Rustler

I had this running on 4S with an Neu motor and it was a beast, great handling and stable at high speeds.
it runs full set of LOSI 8 shocks and Associated Battery Cups

Rustler Body will not fit. I was running with no body.

Parts include:

FLM Extended Chassis
FLM Transmission-FLM Sealed Diff
-RC-MONSTER Hardened Idler Gear
- has been modified to fit larger REVO slipper closer to tranny.
- Upper motor mount enlarged to fit M5 screw (Bushing to fit M3 screw if iuse a smaller motor)
FLM Rear Shock Tower
FLM Front Shock Tower
FLM Bulkhead
FLM Upper Chassis- with servo mounts
FLM Bellcrank
FLM Suspension Holder
FLM Front Bar
FLM Rear Extended Arms
FLM Extended CVD's
FLM Rear Camber Links
FLM Rear Bearing Holders
NEW ERA Nitro Rustler Roll Cage-modified to fit
NEW ERA Front Jato Arms-modified to fit
- makes the front width wider
LUNSFORD Titanium 5mm Front Camber Links-with Savage rod ends
STRC Steering Blocks
STRC Caster Blocks
Home made ESC mount-alloy
Revo Slipper and 32p spur

Old 09-11-2010, 09:35 PM
warheadforever

ORIGINAL: momogt

has anyone every used the integy cvd,s on there rustler do they fit the cups good ordo they pop also i have aluminum rear hubs and toe links will they work good with them i ask because i get some off brand cvd,s off ebay that were **** they didnt fit good and with my brushless set they broke the same day i put them on
I say just pay the money and get the CVD ones, they are easier to get and last a little longer.
Mind you though the CVD and not forever, they will also wear out, but it does take a long time.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:39 PM
warheadforever

ORIGINAL: esky77

Hello all I've got a rustler with a Novatech 5500kv motor and ESC combo also using 2 cell 4000mah Li-Po I'm running a gear ratio of 21/86 any suggestions would be good.
Also the ESC seems to get hot but, the motor seems fine and after a while it starts to surge so any help would be awesome.

thanks
Adam
With that motor, I would say just gear it down!
The motor is O.K., but the ESC can't supply that much amperage without getting hot, so you have to gear down some.

Also, what do you mean by "Surge?" Does it start to jerk back and forth, or something else?
Old 09-11-2010, 09:46 PM
warheadforever

This will be up for sale if there is anyone interested please PM me.
And why don't you drive it, and really bash on it? LOL

I mean it is nice and all, but go drive it, and have some fun!
I do, and mine is all Aluminum.

Also, what parts were need to make it 32 pitch, i have been wanting to do that for a long time, I just don't have a large pile of parts to see what will work, and I would love to know!
Old 09-12-2010, 06:36 PM
esky77

thanks for the help i found out it was my battery making it surge also how far should i gear it down

thanks
adam
Old 09-12-2010, 08:17 PM
Jackedman

hey guys just gotta ask has anyone put a motor in where the shaft is 5mm and had to change the pinion and spur gear to mod 8 ?? and having a problem putting the power to the road??
Old 09-13-2010, 07:26 AM
warheadforever

ORIGINAL: esky77

thanks for the help i found out it was my battery making it surge also how far should i gear it down

thanks
Adam

With a 2S, I would say try 18/86, or 17/86.

That should bring down the temps significantly.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:28 AM
warheadforever

ORIGINAL: Jackedman

hey guys just gotta ask has anyone put a motor in where the shaft is 5mm and had to change the pinion and spur gear to mod 8 ?? and having a problem putting the power to the road??
Hopefully Mazda ute will reply, he has used the 5MM pinions, but as far as I know, you use a Jato spur gear (32 pitch), and 5MM pinions. (32 pitch)

Though, I haven't done it yet, so I really and not 100% sure on that. [:-]
Old 09-13-2010, 07:50 AM
Mazda ute

I have used a Revo Slipper and 32p spur , File the rear off the slipper to fit closer to the gear box. You will need all the Revo Slipper and 32p spur parts in that area of the car.Only problem with using motors that big and that powerfull is the spider gears in the diff, they do not last long.
The gears in my gearbox are all metal and casing used must be a billet one or it will just explode LOL. If you want a very powerfull car/buggy and would like it to last you must do what i have done.

My Rustler is up for sale as i need the cash to finish my ute, It would be worth near $1000 in parts. Don't realy want to sell it but i have to many RC's and some must go.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:00 AM
warheadforever

I have used a Revo Slipper and 32p spur , File the rear off the slipper to fit closer to the gear box. You will need all the Revo Slipper and 32p spur parts in that area of the car.Only problem with using motors that big and that powerfull is the spider gears in the diff, they do not last long.
The gears in my gearbox are all metal and casing used must be a billet one or it will just explode LOL. If you want a very powerfull car/buggy and would like it to last you must do what i have done.

My Rustler is up for sale as i need the cash to finish my ute, It would be worth near $1000 in parts. Don't realy want to sell it but i have to many RC's and some must go.
So are you using the Revo spur?
And yea, you would need a all metal drive line to withstand the punishment that a motor that big would dish out. LOL
Old 09-13-2010, 10:08 AM
Jackedman

I'm using the slipper off of the vxl rustler and a revo spur gear 58 tooth and I'm going to pick up a new pinion gear tonight cause the one I have on there now is too tight but what kinda tires are you guys using ??
Old 09-13-2010, 11:16 PM
Muskokarc

Hello all.

My first post on this site. My town just got a nice new track, and got me back into the hobby. So I took my trusty Rustler down from the shelf and dusted it off. It is all original parts just like it came as a kit. Took me about 12hrs to build back about 15 years ago. Have used it off and on between now and then. Been told that it would be just as easy if not cheaper to just by a new up to day one than to just add all the hop ups to get it up to todays tech. My thought is that I will just do stuff as I get the cash.

My first upgrade was simple. I purchased a new battery pack a 3000mAh 7.2V Love the run time i get from it. The old packs still work ok just not as long.

Have new tires on order getting the Gladiator II for the rear, a Team Orion Method R 17T motor, and a new servo for steering (Hitec's HS-625MG Metal Gear Super Torque Servo).

Rest of the electronics will have to wait for now. Going to stick with brushed for a while. Did pick up some pinion gears a 19t and a 23t. when i picked up a new steering bell crank that broke the other day on the track. Hope to find a used esc some time to replace the msc over the winter that or a good price on a new one.

Muskokarcr
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26272.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	1500629   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31348.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	1500630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31053.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	1500631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf96164.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	1500632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa33969.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	1500633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lc48370.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	1500634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bd67447.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	1500635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl40936.jpg
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	1500636  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig72893.jpg
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	1500637   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zl61062.jpg
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	1500638   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lr75608.jpg
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	1500639   Click image for larger version

Name:	Te26482.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	1500640  
Old 09-14-2010, 07:04 AM
Jackedman

MuskoKarc welcome back to the hobby
Old 09-14-2010, 07:47 AM
warheadforever

ORIGINAL: Muskokarc

Hello all.

My first post on this site. My town just got a nice new track, and got me back into the hobby. So I took my trusty Rustler down from the shelf and dusted it off. It is all original parts just like it came as a kit. Took me about 12hrs to build back about 15 years ago. Have used it off and on between now and then. Been told that it would be just as easy if not cheaper to just by a new up to day one than to just add all the hop ups to get it up to todays tech. My thought is that I will just do stuff as I get the cash.

My first upgrade was simple. I purchased a new battery pack a 3000mAh 7.2V Love the run time i get from it. The old packs still work ok just not as long.

Have new tires on order getting the Gladiator II for the rear, a Team Orion Method R 17T motor, and a new servo for steering (Hitec's HS-625MG Metal Gear Super Torque Servo).

Rest of the electronics will have to wait for now. Going to stick with brushed for a while. Did pick up some pinion gears a 19t and a 23t. when i picked up a new steering bell crank that broke the other day on the track. Hope to find a used esc some time to replace the msc over the winter that or a good price on a new one.

Muskokarcr
Well first off.
Welcome to RCU the greatest RC forum around!
Glad to here you got back into the hobby!

Mine started out just like that, you will love it, it takes everything and keeps coming back for more!
That TOM r 17T is going to be a huge upgrade from the old Stinger motor.
There are some pretty cheap ESCs out there, here are a few.

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUTA0&P=7]Castle Creations Sidewinder[/link]

Castle in my opinion makes the best ESCs around, and for a reasonable price.
[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAXT9&P=7]DuraTrax IntelliSpeed 12T[/link]

I would nominally say to stay away from DTX but I have herd that their ESC are O.K. enough; though be it I have no experience with them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.