Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official Rustler Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 07:58 PM
mtrchamp
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Official Rustler Thread

Ok, for all you who have a Rustler out there, feel free to let us all know what your rusty looks like, your hop ups, your mods, w/e. We've got official T4 threads and T3 threads, so why not a Rustler thread? Here are my Rusty's specs

Rustler Crawler 1.0 (in process)

Locked diff
Aluminum Chassis, custom ladder design
Reversed Pede tires (more traction 'till I get some swamp dogs or something)
Team Orion 27Tx1 motor
19T Pinion
87T Spur
Shocks: Undecided
Body: Undecided
Novak T4 ESC
JR XR2 Radio

I'll post some pics when I get further into the project, I just started, I am more using the diff, drivechain, and such from it more then the chassis, but I did mod the original rustler into a touring truck that had 8mm of ground clearence...

Let's see what you all got!
Old 07-06-2004, 08:17 PM
maddrums25
My Feedback: (14)

Default RE: Official Rustler Thread

Hey!!

I've got just a plain rustler with some minor hop ups!
Speed Gem 12t motor
Venom fireball 19t double
NOVAK fusion ESC
26t, 21t, and 18 tooth pinions
87t and 84t spur: usually run 87 and 18
rpm bearing carriers/ rear
rpm spring cups
rpm clawz rear
team losi springs
Pro line strikers
crowd pleazer body
in the process of trimming some fat off the chassis
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78230.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	151029  
Old 07-06-2004, 08:19 PM
mtrchamp

Nice [8D], keep it coming. If I were you though, switch out the ESC, or at least the plugs, deans are the way to go!
Old 07-06-2004, 09:11 PM
maddrums25

Yeah I plan on it, I've only had it about a month and a half.. I was wondering what ESC i should go for. This is my first car..

maddrums
Old 07-06-2004, 09:21 PM
mtrchamp

here's a list:

Novak XRS
Duratrax Intellispeed Models (any)
Novak Fusion
Brushless [8D]
Duratrax Streak ESC

It all depends on what your budget is, and all, I race, not my rusty, but I am planning on using an old Novak Hyperfet T4 ESC
Old 07-06-2004, 09:27 PM
maddrums25

Thanks alot!!!
Old 07-06-2004, 09:32 PM
mtrchamp

NP, the XRS is $50, the intellispeeds very from $22.99-$65.99, and the streak is $40, the fusion is $45, and the brushless... well, you know $225+
Old 07-06-2004, 09:41 PM
WckdDudeMan
My Feedback: (1)

well just did some major hopups today:
rustler
stock rims all around 2 sets of rears(one stock one speed hawgs) 1 set of fronts(stock) all have proline foam inserts are glued and the offroad tires have holes drilled in the rims
green machine stock motor
xl-1
rpm bearing carriers all around with boca bearings budget bearings(these guys are local so im very happy)
rpm blue sealed gear cover
rpm blue long shank rod end and traxxas 54 mm 4-40 turnbuckles to add front camber
rpm blue gt body posts(waiting for my srt fiberglass front shock tower to come in to add these....)
custom lexan chassis(go check out the i love my rusty thread for pics when i find my camera ill post some current ones here)

wicked
Old 07-06-2004, 11:42 PM
mtrchamp

nice[8D]
Old 07-06-2004, 11:46 PM
WckdDudeMan

oh just wanted to add my current gearing is 18/84

wicked
Old 07-07-2004, 12:55 PM
Unspoken

i dont have a digi camera but ill try and track one down so i can get a picture of my rusty in here. my hop ups are bearings all around(even in crappy servos,i put bearings from some old servos that dont work anymore in em')adjustable/heavy duty turn buckles,i had to replace the radio so im using my old 3-channel t-maxx radio.im using my blazer radio for my t-maxx now.
i got a panther peak 15 turn motor.i got some really soft 9 ribbed tires but i dont know what brand they are,and i got some worn down dirt paws in the back and i got some really cool nobby tires but i dont have rims for them yet.and i got a old chevy silverado body on it from proline,they dont make this version of the silverado anymore.and for battereis i got 2 JRL toys 1200 batteries(very old,they dont make them anymore)and i have 1 amp maxx 2 battery(had 2 but one blew up),and i got 2 old dynamite 1500's that are 13 or `14 years old but they dont hold much of a charge.and i have a Hot bodies mciro charger peak charger.hopefully soon i will have a ESC,the cheapest one at my LHS is the trwxxas XL-1 for $70[X(]they arent cheap in alberta. the next cheapest is this little micro one that can handle any motor and is water proof for $130.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:12 PM
Unspoken

i almost forgot,i also have some duratrax on raod tires.but i live on a farm with nothing btu fgravel so they arent much use.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:21 PM
mtrchamp

Cool, cool, My gearing is 19/87 for my crawler but I plan on running 9/18, the 18 will give me more top speed. In the future I pan on running a 8/99 gearing.

I have a metal idler gear and such now. I would post pics but it's just parts now. I need to find some maxx center diffs for the front and rear and some CV's... Does anyone have any extra CV's or dirvechain parts? I need some and I would be willing to buy them off you.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:11 PM
WckdDudeMan

9/18??????? ive never seen a 18t spur gear.... and a 9 tooth pinion to match....

wicked
Old 07-07-2004, 06:20 PM
Unspoken

the aluminum idler gear was on or near the top of my list put i looked under neath the motor cover or what ever and there already was one,thats a good thing about used R/Cs,they always have some surprises,but some of the surpirses are negative instead of positive.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:05 PM
mtrchamp

I mean 9/87, thanks
Old 07-07-2004, 07:28 PM
bluerustler

cool, a page for the rusty's
guess I'll break down what I have.
Novak duster ESC
Racers Edge 17T motor, getting a team Orion Rush 15 turn soon(anyone know if they run pretty good?)
RPM bearing carriers all around with bearings thats came with them from RcBoyz on ebay. I think they are junky bearings, any recomendations on some new ones?
I painted all my suspension arms blue along with my gear cover, battery hold down bar, and the front body mounting peice.
I have blue shock covers on all my shocks(kinda a waste of money cus they dont really keep the dust and dirt of my shocks but they look nice) All the blue is the reason for my name, I plan on painting the whole chassis either some blue or chrome eventually.
Um, I have a self made front bumber for all my head on collisions, had a back on too but it was too heavy.
Traxxas high torque servo, much better than the two stock servos I went through.
I have deans connectors from my ESC to my motor but not on my batteries yet. Need to get more connectors before making the full switch.
Pro-Line dirt hawgs on blue chrome RPM rims on back. Stock tires still in front.
Have pinion gears from like 13 to 23 but usually just run 18 or 19/84.

Thats all I got for now, maybe sometime I'll get my hands on a digital camera.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:48 PM
Unspoken

the panther 15 t motor is a lot more powerful than i first thought.i hit a wall and my MSC went nuts and it had so much tourqe it flipped it self over and thats weird because i have my front end lowered down so it should have puched it self into the ground not up and over.but im having great fun but tomorrow i got to take back my new hot bodies charger,ive only had it for 3 days and its toast already.not a great start,and this is my first peak charger.before this i had a radio shack one.i might put evader st a-arms on it to make it wider but it will be lower to the ground. they are 1 inch longer.im trying to make it a race truck.i want to keep it low to the ground so its hard to oflip over but high enough to still go on off road track and the occasional bashing sesion.my track has lots of jumps so i cant keep to low.i dont know about the new version of rustler,but on mine,the rear a-arms have 6 adjustments and the front has 2.i have the front lowered all the way and the back on the 4th but my suspension is really soft so it really isnt that high.any tips for a track/road truck?tires?hop-ups?driving tips?all are welcome.im getting pretty good with my rusty.ive had it for about 3 or 4 weeks now and now im able to predict where its going to land or bounce and how far itll slide with each pair of tires.its a fast truck to,but when i drive i rely on mydriving skills,i usually dont have to give it full throttle on the track to keep ahead except on the straight away.what is the purpose of all your Rustlers adn what do you use them for?bashing?racing? on road?i read the MTRchamp is making a rustler crawler,how is that coming?that will be............interesting to say the least.ive never seen a 2WD crawler before,who knows,maybe itll be the next BIG rock crawling thing cause its a bigger challenge.are you making a roll cage for it?keep us posted.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:58 PM
WckdDudeMan

well i ran my rusty with the upgrades it ran great. its got max camber and omg that thing can turn without leaving the swidewalk at slow speeds and on road i can do full 180s in only about 10 feet of room(basically the width of one lane) at full speed.... on a damp road for crying out loud it was great.i cant tighten my wheels anymore though if i do they dont spin..... which is wierd... when i had the bushings they could be cranked down and spin freely....

wicked
Old 07-07-2004, 10:29 PM
mtrchamp

yeah that's the way it is...

Blue Rustler, the answers to your questions:

RCBoyz, Top quality all the time, I've bought almost 30 items from them, quick, fast shipping, Racer's Edge Motors are ok, I used to run a 19T in my old XX CR Kiwnald buggy, did about 30... I would change your rims too, I like the tires but not the rims.... I think they are cheap.... also, don't paint the chassis, keep it the stock color, if you want there was a guy.... Unspoken, who made the custom lexan chassis?

Do that, that would look tight, since I did scraped the tranny and CV's from my rusty for my crawler project I still have a roller [8D], I am looking into a Front Graphite shock tower, RPM bumper, and such for it. I will assemble it later and post pics. I am going to be running XTM Bullet tires, on the chrome rims from traxxas, and Kinwald 2nd stage Bomb inserts, they work really well, I will also be running road hawgs on the rear if I decide to switch, I have yet to switch to bearings.

Does anyone have ANY extra rustler parts they would be willing to sell? or Trade? I have cash in hand... I need the following:

chassis
top plate (to the servo)
Tranny
CV's
Bearings
Battery cover

LMK what you have
Old 07-08-2004, 12:32 AM
Unspoken

that was wickeddudeman who made the chassis,not me.it was just in my thread that he talked about it.i wish i as that skilled with the dremel.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:33 AM
mtrchamp

yeah same... wait I am.... lol, I'm making my own chassis for my rustler crawler....
Old 07-08-2004, 12:36 AM
WckdDudeMan

eh im actually not very skilled.... dremels arent made for cutting lexan especially not stuff that thick it will do but theres better tools for the job....
Old 07-08-2004, 12:37 AM
Unspoken

LMAO,i barely have any bits left for my dremel,i got it when i was 8 for christmas(i wanted t obe a carpenter,ha ha ha,laugh it up)and i was really irresponsible and lost most of my bits.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:41 AM
mtrchamp

LMAO, I have the cordless Dremel that my step dad gave me for x mas last year... doesn't work too well for cutting 2 mm alimunum sheeting [&:]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.