Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

One of the most craziest ideas I've ever thought of...

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 08:12 PM
XDeathReborn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One of the most craziest ideas I've ever thought of...

I have an Evader BX Pro, and I'm thinking of doing one of the most insane upgrades I can think of- I'm going to try to make it fly... literally.

This is my plan: get a brushless motor, and a brushed stock hi-torque motor. Have a 4 channel radio, and hook up the brushed motor to one channel, and have it give power to the wheels. Have the brushless motor attached to the 3rd channel, and have it hooked up to a pusher prop on the back of the chassis. Have the motors go through a dual brushless/brushed ESC, and have 2 hi torque servos- One for the wheels, and one for a rudder. Run the car off a cliff, and have it go airborne.

Think this is plausible at all? Feedback please, even if you think I'm completely nuts.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:15 PM
S.A.E.W.O.T.
Banned

Default RE: One of the most craziest ideas I've ever thought of...

that would be sweet... if that would work.... i know it won't cuase it's to heavey for a brushless system to move it by means of a prop and if u made wings they would have to be made very well... or it would not go at all..... but over all it's pointless to do!!!
Old 11-11-2004, 08:21 PM
aliens8mycow

pointless... coming from the guy who 'flies' his evader across the street and over his dad's car?

Why not?!?!?!? If you have the $$$ burning a hole in your pocket, go for it...

I don't know about the 'off a cliff' part, but maybe jump it as is from a large ramp and measure height and distance, then compare that to height and distance after your conversion. If you feel like it works, try something bigger.

This hobby is all about tinkering around and using your imagination - if you look through the video section on this site, you'll see a video of a flying lawnmower!
Old 11-11-2004, 08:31 PM
S.A.E.W.O.T.
Banned

yea..... u gotta point "aliens8mycow" im a harcore basher..............! yea. XDEATHREBORN go 4 it if u got the money!!! Y not.... i would!... if u think about it!..... "aliens8mycow" i was bashing around 2 day and i jumped my fence and it's a 6 foot fence!... and i landed in my neigbors back yard but there were plating a tree and they made a like 5 foot hole and my evader st fell in it[:@]... it took me like 10 minutes to get it out... but nuttin was broke so im happy jus some body thrash!!! it was sweet... but i desided 2 but my evader st to rest...cause it's getting cold and that now good 4 the platics or my batts...ect...
Old 11-11-2004, 08:44 PM
45mph pede
Banned

Heres the issue... WEIGHT! Electric planes that have one motor weight next to nothin. Most of them are balsa wood or stira-foam. I mean... its possible, but its going to take some enginering and some HUGE wings. Its going to take alot more work that your or for that matter anyone would want to put into it...
-Wes
Old 11-11-2004, 08:49 PM
aliens8mycow

Yeah, it's getting cold here too. I'm not taking my toys outside for a few months. During the winter I usually tear everything down to the last nut, bolt, and washer and give it a good back and a checkup. Any repairs or mods that I've been dreaming about get added on while it's going back together.

I also work at a high school - a set of slicks on a urethane coated gym floor makes for insane traction! I can get in there after school's out and go nuts! Ditch the slipper and pull wheelies all over the place. When it's too cold to play outside, you gotta make your fun indoors!
Old 11-11-2004, 08:51 PM
aliens8mycow

Pede, you're spoilin' this guy's fun! He's got all winter to tinker with this idea, and maybe by springtime, he'll post a video of his buggy flying across the sky! ...and then basher's gonna try putting wings and a prop on his!
Old 11-11-2004, 09:15 PM
XDeathReborn

OK, very quick update:

I just went downstais to my basement, got my hobby knife, and grabbed some balsa wood/ply wood. I just constructed a 1/14 (I'm guessing, it's probably not even scale) Buggy. It's an outer frame of balsa, with inner support beams/motor mounts/wheel shafts/etc all made ply. I put on an approx. 24 inch wing made of balsa. It's pretty much crap, I just now hooked it up to 4 cell GP 3300's, wired it straight to the motor (a cheap motor I found in an old airsoft electric pistol), and put on a 3 blade 5x3 prop in the back to push. By the way, the tires were old landing gear. Wow I felt really stupid, but then I laid it down onto the ground off a car ramp in my basement. I dunno exactly how, but it managed to fly- for about 3 seconds. Then I realized my CG was off completely, and it was weighted too much to the left, so it leaned to the side, and crashed into the ground. I gotta say, the wing's broken, but it flew! I can make plenty fore wings, and everything else is in perfect condition. Now, to move it to a real car.... that may take more time.

Wish me luck
Old 11-11-2004, 09:21 PM
45mph pede
Banned

This is going to be dicey... Very scary... VIDEO TIME!!!!!
-Wes
Old 11-11-2004, 10:01 PM
S.A.E.W.O.T.
Banned

basher's gonna try putting wings and a prop on his!
...yea... that would be sweet... in the summer im gonna make some nice vid's... like hittin the 4ft jump at the hobby shop and some racin' action on the dirt track and in the parking lot.... and some skate park action...... when the snow melts and the temp go's over 60 f i will bust out my evader... and do some crazy bashin' i wanna try to jump my garage... that vid will be full of carnage.... my buddy with his T4 jumped his dad's motorhome and busted both rear a-arms and driveshafts ...thats was a sweet vid.... but there again there on VHS so i can get them on my PC unless i go and buy some kind of converter... "aliens8mycow" u should make ur evader bx a during the week basher and weekend racer that would be kool..... thats what i do.....mind u that my racing setup is my bashing setup....!...
Old 11-12-2004, 01:30 AM
aliens8mycow

I think I'm done trying to kill mine... I'm really considering trying my hand at oval track next season, and that'll eliminate any need for landing gear.

I'll leave the crazy stuff up to you guys - you're professionals! [sm=bananahead.gif]

You know the ST is a cross between a buggy and a monster truck... Maybe you guys can invent the TP - a cross between a truck and a plane! ...and don't forget about me when you're filthy rich!
Old 11-12-2004, 01:47 AM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

I think what would be cool, and actualy quite easy to do, would be to mount an airplane motor, gearbox, prop etc. to the top of your car, no wings or nothing, just the motor system, I bet it'd make your car go alot faster.

First get a 3 channel radio (one with a switch for like changing gears) then get an electronic switch (bassically a one speed ESC), a speed 400 motor, 3-1 gearbox, and about a 10x4.7 prop. Set up the electronic switch so when you flip the switch on your radio, the airplane setup turns on. Itd be like having turbo on your car

I think adding the spd. 400 motor, 3-1 gearing, and 10x4.7 prop should make a noticeable increase in top speed. It can fly my plane that weighs about a pound and a half.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:53 AM
aliens8mycow

Awe geez... You guys are losing it!

Why not mount up a helicopter rotor (and a tail rotor too). You'll need one of those 8 channel radios that looks like a telephone company switchboard to run it all.

When you fly off a jump, get about 6 feet off the ground, then using the heli-gear, make it hover 'Matrix' style for a second, then all of a sudden land it full speed.

That's what I wanna see.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:13 PM
S.A.E.W.O.T.
Banned

When you fly off a jump, get about 6 feet off the ground, then using the heli-gear, make it hover 'Matrix' style for a second, then all of a sudden land it full speed.
....lol that would be sweet....
Old 11-13-2004, 01:22 AM
XDeathReborn

OK, i was able to take off ALOT of weight off of my chassis of my evader. I:

-took off the suspension arms
-took off the bumper
-took off the shock towers
-took off the motor mount and gear drive and set it up direct drive

Totally I lost about half its weight. I also made/koted a 80" wing out of balsa. I also put in a brushless pusher prop into the back of the car. I thought I made the first prototype model. Then came the test:

It was a clam day, about 1-2 mph wind, and I went to the park near my house to try it. Ran it off of a 3' hill, and the results: It flew. It really flew. now, it isn't exactly a real plane, nor an aerobat, but it did manage to glide for a bit, and touched down smoothly. I think it glided for maybe, 10-20 feet or so... It really is a prototype though, and I'm trying to make it actually fly... I wish I had a video camera or something, but I don't... maybe I can leech off of my friend someday....
Old 11-13-2004, 02:40 AM
aliens8mycow

For what it's worth, this is the link to the flying lawn mower vid...

http://www.jengajam.com/r/Sky-Cutter

Just proves that anything is possible is put your mind to it.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:01 AM
S.A.E.W.O.T.
Banned

...hey did i know that that vid is fake....it made by a computer... i saw how they made it!...but still it's kool
Old 11-13-2004, 11:57 AM
Pinolelst

ORIGINAL: H.D. BASHER

...hey did i know that that vid is fake....it made by a computer... i saw how they made it!...but still it's kool

Not a fake.Seen one fly myself.
Old 11-13-2004, 12:19 PM
S.A.E.W.O.T.
Banned

really......?..... cuase there's a thred on the "VIDEO" thred.... and it shows that it's fake
Old 11-13-2004, 01:07 PM
Pinolelst

ORIGINAL: H.D. BASHER

really......?..... cuase there's a thred on the "VIDEO" thred.... and it shows that it's fake

MAybe I'll clarify that I've seen one almost exactly like the one in the video fly firsthand.Hows that

I will go look for the thread though to see how they debunked it thanks
Old 11-13-2004, 03:35 PM
XDeathReborn

OK, I made my version 2:

I made the chassis lighter by taking out the bulky ESC and motor and put in a 180-size motor for the wheels, and I put in a micro ESC. I switched my hi torque steering servo with a micro servo, but I kept the hi torque coreless servo for my rudder on the plane. Took it to a 20 feet high cliff, as I was confident of its abilities. I glided it all the way down to the field unharmed, but I wasn't satisfied, so I took some liquid foam and poured it into a mold to made swept wing tips. I then CA-'ed them to the edges of the wings, causing it to get enough aerodynamics to fly. I then tried it again, and this time, it caught a thermal and started to rise. I then used my rudder to turn, and I got a full circle done! Granted, it was wobbly, and it wasn't all that great, but I actually flew the plane/car/buggy/someonegivemeanameforwhattocallthis! Now, the only problem stopping me is the battery current. The battery voltage does underpower the motor, and I only got about 30 seconds of flight before the battery died on me. Dual 3 cell LiPo packs don't deliver enough voltage, I'm gonna need dual 7-10 cell packs at about 9000 mAH. I wonder where I can find some of those...
Old 11-13-2004, 03:52 PM
acexxxoasis
My Feedback: (4)

how friggin big is that brushless?!?!

I know people running 2 cell lipolys for like 30-40 minutes.....
Old 11-13-2004, 03:58 PM
_iceman_

wow!

i did't think you could acutely make a flying car, cool
Old 11-13-2004, 05:05 PM
XDeathReborn

I'm using a Lehner 2250, 8 Turn motor, and a Schulze Future 170 amp continuous rated controller.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:45 PM
Carnutz68
My Feedback: (1)

I sure hope you dont do all this without vids, this would be great to see.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.