Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

OFFICAL PEDE THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 10:40 PM
Slashdrivr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICAL PEDE THREAD

Just an update, took my son to his first indoor race, let him see the what's/how's etc. They were running Short Course trucks by the time we got there, was arealeyeopener as to whatreally mattered,chassis setup and throttle control was more important that all out speed.He's gonna get to go out and run it Fri, it'san open electric offroad practice night. He can't wait lol...

Still waiting on some parts to show up yet, picked up 2 batteries from Pro-match and a Onyx charger, also still have the rpm bearing converion coming aswell, wanna get those put on before he takes it out Friday. We did drop the pinion on the motor from 19T to a 16T and man what a difference. Funny thing tho, truck was supposed to have a86T spur gear stock, was actually a 90T, but not toobig ofa deal.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:23 AM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: gwcrim

What about this one?

http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store...idProduct=7028

To judge the speed do I look at the amperage output?

Again, I gotta thank the folks of this forum. I've gotten some great ideas. I bought a piece of 2''x1/8'' aluminum and will be making some bumpers and wheelie plates. I'm going to put flints from a torch sparker on them so when they drag on concrete they'll make a light show. Might even make a removable set of wheels.
This would be a good one too. I'd go for this one over the dual charger mentioned later. It is more versatile and modern. (can charge LiPos when you get there later) I see pededriver already picked up a charger. Onyx's are good.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:43 AM
Jeremy Z

ORIGINAL: Pededriver

Just an update, took my son to his first indoor race, let him see the what's/how's etc. They were running Short Course trucks by the time we got there, was a real eyeopener as to what really mattered, chassis setup and throttle control was more important that all out speed. He's gonna get to go out and run it Fri, it's an open electric offroad practice night. He can't wait lol...
Way to go! Get him focused on driving talent & control rather than: "Dude, my Rustler will go 70 down my street." or "Here's my car going 100"
Old 01-04-2010, 02:54 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Alright guys, I guess im still in the stone age here, but what are some good brushed motors 16 turns and up for the stampede?

I had a 16t Trinity Chrominum in my last stampede and it was a nice motor, but i never got to see its full potential because of my cheap batteries. Hopefully that isnt a problem this time[8D]

Anyways, Id like to have a 16 or 17t motor. I think that would be a nice upgrade for my stampede without having to upgrade my ESC. Any reccomendations? I was hoping not to have to spend $35 on a motor, but other than a Fireball, i dont see much for under $30, so ideas would be helpful. Ideally, a good used one for cheap would be fine![8D]
Old 01-04-2010, 05:48 AM
Redvanmafia

Reedy flash point motors, where cheap back in the day, i ran one in my evader st and it ripped i think it was a 15t
Old 01-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Jeremy Z

A couple thoughts:

1) When you say "17T and higher" do you mean "and faster" or do you mean 17-27T?

2) Most of the aftermarket motors are 540 sized. The stock motor for the Stampede is a 550 sized 12T. If I were you, I'd just buy one of those for $20 or whatever they go for. Break it in by runnning a pack or so at < half throttle. Clean & lube the bushings once in a while, and it will probably last a while. You'll probably be right on par with your dad's truck. His may corner better, but you'll have more ground clearance. They don't make too many decent aftermarket 550 size motors with replacable brushes. (yet)

3) I was eyeballing a Venom Fireball as a possible upgrade for the silver can 540 motors in another car. (Lunch Box) but then I read somewhere that a dude only got a few runs out of it and the brushes were done, and he couldn't find replacements. If that is the case, you may as well stick with the closed endbell cheapy type motors.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:39 PM
cummins driver

My stampede has a 540 motor stock, but a titan 12t would be fine. I found 2 stock losi motors for a decent price that would probably be similar performance(they came out of a high roller), so i may go that route. We'll see.

Oh, and I mean 16 turns and up as in no number of turns lower than 16 because thats all my ESC will handle.

Eric
Old 01-04-2010, 01:44 PM
Jeremy Z

Lower # of turns = higher RPM, more power draw, and more speed. So an ESC that handles 16T will easily handle 19T, for instance.

Also, # of turns on an open endbell brushed motor does not directly compare to a closed endbell "can" motor. Go by aftermarket turns. One guy commented that the 12T Titan performs about like a 16T aftermarket 540 motor with open endbell.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:16 PM
cummins driver

Yeah, thats why i say a titan would be fine, because im sure my ESC would handle it since its not a real high performance motor. My old 16t motor had some decent power. Plenty for the stampede how I had it geared. Im not looking for extra top speed, but some extra guts down low more than anything, so it will be geared lower than most run theirs probably. 20mph is fast enough for what ill be doing.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:59 PM
daze823

Ok, so this will officially be the longest running thread I have ever read or wrote in.  I have just stepped back into the RC world, after about a 22 year hiatus...  My last truck, before I stopped messing around with RC's was the Big Brute...  I decided that I wanted to get back into it so that I can introduce my 10 year old son to real RC cars, and I jumped in with the Stampede VXL...  almost went with the rustler, but really glad I didn't...  Anyway, this thing is amazing, I bought a couple extra 7 cell batteries and we have been having a blast.  To help with the learning curve I started out in training mode, but that only lasted for 2 runs, and we have been running full speed since, and it is fast.

I guess my biggest issue is with flipping it when playing in the street, cause it flips when we turn it, and of course that is wayyyyyyy down the street after a ong straight run.  Anyway, I wanted to see if there were any minor fixes to minimize the flipping, I don't want to modify it to a wide pede, more involved than we want to get and we want to drive it for now, not have it sitting on the work table...  I was wondering if stiffining the springs or shocks would help, or if there is a different type of tire that would help it spin out rather than flip... 

The flipping definitely doesn't diminish the fun we have with this truck, I just worry about flipping and then having a car come by at the wrong time and not seeing it...  I would never trade the clearnace we have off-road with this truck to get a lower truck to minimize tipping.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:06 PM
Jeremy Z

Well, you need to not turn sharply when you're going so fast, it is as simple as that. Widening or lowering would help of course, but you would even flip a Rustler or Bandit when going 25+ mph and turning too sharply.

The first thing you could look into is maybe moving the tie rods to more inner holes on the servo horn. This will de-sensitize the steering a bit and make it easier to control at high speeds. But you'll lose some turning radius.

The better (but more expensive) way to fix this is to get a better radio; one on which you can dial some negative expo or steering rate. About -15% expo is great for me. That de-sensitizes the steering a bit towards the center, but you still have the full steering lock.

I have a Futaba 3PM 2.4 GHz radio. At the time I bought it, it was the cheapest Futaba 2.4 GHz computer radio. They have a cheaper one now, that is only 2 channel and closer to $125 I believe. Look into that.

Also, remember that this truck is made more for offroad than on. Try and take it offroad more. You won't be going so fast and it won't be an issue.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Yosh70

An easy and cheap fix is lowering the chassis.....this can be done by purchasing some fuel line from your local LHS and taking all the shocks apart.
Install a piece (1/8-1/2") onto the shock shaft to limit the travel and re-install. I've done it mine and it makes a world of difference in handling/tipping over.

And you think its fast with 7 cell NIHM's...try a 3S lipo. With a GPS attached and a 25T pinion, I got about 93 km/hr out of it ( about 57 mph)

EDIT: Sorry I didnt see you DIDNT want to lower the truck.....mine is still capable off road, obviously not as much clearance but I run mine a lot on pavement.
You're going to have to decide where you wanna go.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:04 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

ORIGINAL: Yosh70

An easy and cheap fix is lowering the chassis.....this can be done by purchasing some fuel line from your local LHS and taking all the shocks apart.
Install a piece (1/8-1/2'') onto the shock shaft to limit the travel and re-install. I've done it mine and it makes a world of difference in handling/tipping over.

And you think its fast with 7 cell NIHM's...try a 3S lipo. With a GPS attached and a 25T pinion, I got about 93 km/hr out of it ( about 57 mph)
Make sure you only suggest that to those with the VXL version
Old 01-07-2010, 10:02 PM
TORNADO BB

My motor in the water stampede started to smoke but didn't stop running. It was to first time using a lipo. 6400mah 3s with stock gearing to be exact. Please Reply.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:21 PM
Yosh70

ORIGINAL: Wheelnut

ORIGINAL: Yosh70

Install a piece (1/8-1/2'') onto the shock shaft to limit the travel and re-install. I've done it mine and it makes a world of difference in handling/tipping over.

Make sure you only suggest that to those with the VXL version
Um yea, I was replying to Daze regarding his VXL....do you think I would recommend a 3S lipo for a XL5?

Old 01-08-2010, 09:15 AM
Wheelnut

Sorry, I didn't realize you were replying to Daze.
Although, It would be a good idea to mention brushless when speaking of 3s lipo in this thread where there are alot of guys still running brushed motors.

Do any of you guys know a good cheap brushless esc and motor combo from hobbycity.com for the Stampede? If I go brushless, I have to do two of them. One for my son and myself.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:31 AM
TIGER76

Found a cheap new bright shell in a charity shop so stripped the shell off and installed on the pede its a hard shell so should save a few parts for a while in barrel rolls lmao

Might repaint or just bash the hell outta it
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25535.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	390.8 KB
ID:	1351905   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12313.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	383.2 KB
ID:	1351906   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78565.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	379.0 KB
ID:	1351907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq44022.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	372.9 KB
ID:	1351908  
Old 01-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Wheelnut

Looks good. I have often thought about looking for a hard shell.
There is a company that will make custom fiberglass bodies for your rc car or truck. though, they are very expensive.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:57 AM
cummins driver

Hey guys, I have a question.

I am running an older stampede, with the black tranny. I had one before, and I ran it a lot with a 16t motor geared 13/87 with just an aluminum idler gear in the transmission. I have just picked up another stampede with the black tranny, and as far as i know it is a stock tranny. My question is, what has to be done to handle a good brushless system in the older stampedes? Will just an aluminum idler gear handle the extra power, or does it need other parts? Im not sure if im going brushless, or how soon if i do, but id like to know what all upgrades it needs to handle the extra power reliably. Also, im assuming the driveshafts are the same on all of them, or are they beefier on the newer trucks? Thanks

Edit: I just ordered a steel idler gear off of ebay. For less than $5 shipped i figured why not go ahead and get it. The top gear is steel from the factory, so it looks like the steel ring gear on the planetary housing is all that i have left as a weak link. I never broke it on my old pede, so ill run my plastic one either until it dies, or until I buy a brushless setup for my stampede[8D]

Also, I noticed on my old stampede that it was noisy after a while with the aluminum idler gear.... probably because i ran the steel top gear with it which is not reccomended[X(]

Eric
Old 01-09-2010, 05:42 AM
momogt

whats the biggest spur gear you can run on a stampede and are you limited to just traxxas spur gears or can you use other brands like robinson racing
Old 01-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Jeremy Z

Biggest spur gear is 90T.

I know we can use Robinson pinions, but I don't know if they make spurs for the Stampede.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:59 PM
TORNADO BB

I have a 6400mah 11.1v 3s lipo battery and it fits in my stampede, it came with a traxxas connector on it. I ran the stock gearing and my motor started to smoke. I let it cool and put a nimh 7 cell 3000mah battery and it went faster than the lipo and it didn't smoke. When I put a 26 tooth pinion on it started to smoke and went pretty slow. I bought the lipo for longer run times and faster speeds than the nimh and the nimh performed better. What should I do to make the lipo perform how it is supposed to?
Thanks,
Jaret

Old 01-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Jeremy Z

ORIGINAL: TORNADO BB

I have a 6400mah 11.1v 3s lipo battery and it fits in my stampede, it came with a traxxas connector on it. I ran the stock gearing and my motor started to smoke. I let it cool and put a nimh 7 cell 3000mah battery and it went faster than the lipo and it didn't smoke. When I put a 26 tooth pinion on it started to smoke and went pretty slow. I bought the lipo for longer run times and faster speeds than the nimh and the nimh performed better. What should I do to make the lipo perform how it is supposed to?
Thanks,
Jaret
Wow, where to start?

You can't use a 3S LiPo with the stock motor, or you're going to smoke it. Period. You might smoke the ESC too. Either trade that battery pack or save it for something else. That pack would be PERFECT to get the most out of a brushless motor system.

Stick with the 7c NiMH pack for now. That is appropriate for your brushed motor.

26T pinion is WAY too high for a Stampede. Stock pinion is I think 18T. The fast street pinion is 23T. 26T is overgearing it by quite a bit. Smoking the motor is to be expected. Go to traxxas.com and find the gearing chart for the Stampede XL-5. Read all the fine print. The 23T pinion is only for street use. Use it offroad and you'll smoke the motor.

Speaking of which, you may have already damaged the motor. You should plan on getting another one pretty soon.

What you could do is take advantage of Traxxas' power up promotion. Send in your XL-5 ESC and Titan 12T motor along with $135 and they'll send you the Velineon brushless system. Then, you can use the LiPo. But also make sure you buy another pinion with lower tooth count to start. Maybe in the 13 - 15T range. It'd be a shame to smoke the Velineon motor too... Go to Traxxas.com for details on the power up promotion.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:26 PM
TORNADO BB

I have a vxl
Old 01-09-2010, 07:47 PM
Wheelnut

Just to let everyone know, you can get a Velineon brushless system for around $135 on ebay and you don't have to send in your old system. If it is in good shape it will bring a few bucks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.