Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 390 of 408 FirstFirst ... 290340380388389390391392400 ... LastLast
Results 9,726 to 9,750 of 10180

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: OFFICAL PEDE THREAD

I have a 6400mah 11.1v 3s lipo battery and it fits in my stampede VXL, it came with a traxxas connector on it. I ran the stock gearing and my motor started to smoke. I let it cool and put a nimh 7 cell 3000mah battery and it went faster than the lipo and it didn't smoke. When I put a 26 tooth pinion on it started to smoke and went pretty slow. I bought the lipo for longer run times and faster speeds than the nimh and the nimh performed better. What should I do to make the lipo perform how it is supposed to?
    Thanks,
    Jaret

PS: i have a VXL model
    tornado xp

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What charger are you using for the lipo?
    It is possible that either the lipo is not charging up all the way, or there is a possibility that you have damaged the brushless motor.
    Another idea would be to try gearing it down some.
    The bottom line is, if you had smoke coming from the motor, there is definitely some damage already done.
    If it\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'s not broke, fix it until it is

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I use the thunder ac6 to charge my lipo. What should I gear it at if I should gear it lower? I don't think there is damage because when I emailed traxxas my problem they said my motor was fine.
    tornado xp

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sure Traxxas is going to say that, they don't want to replace the motor.
    WHen gearing down, just drop one or two teeth at a time. Found out how many teeth you have on your pinion and go buy one with less teeth, or check your spur and maybe go up one tooth.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Today i ran it and it was going about 55+ mph and it wasn't smoking, but then I hit the curb and shattered the caster block. What are some ways to lower the engine temp.
    tornado xp

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gotta say, I love playing with the Stampede VXL, like I said, it's my first r/c car in 18 years, but Ican't imagine that there are many better beginner vehicles out there, and this thing is fast... I beat the heck out of it and it just keeps on ticking, there is something about watching the truck flip back over front 5 or 6 times, land on it's wheels and keep on going...

Anyway, wanted to thank you all for the suggestions, I ordered some big bore shocks(think that is what they were called), so I think I may take the stock shocks, and modify them with a piece of fuel line and use those for playing out on the street in front of the house... Also, Iwill move the tie rods in on the steering servo, just haven' t gotten to it yet, but both very good suggestions... even though, with experience, i am flipping the truck a whole lot less, I have been getting much better with the turns...

I have the stock pinion gear in the truck (VXL), and Iwas wondering if Icould run a Lipo without changing the gear.. from what I can tell, the optional gear they give you with the truck is really only for street driving, and I don't want to limit myself to on street driving.... but Iwould like the additional run time and maybe a little more speed out of a lipo...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anyone know why Tower discontinued the Velineon brushless system?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think they discountined it because traxxas released the waterproof version.
    tornado xp

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey guys.

I just bought a 17 turn(double?) reedy radon 30k rpm motor for my stampede. I geared it 12/87 because the LHS didnt have a 13 or 14t pinion. It is great out of the hole. Has plenty of pep, and run times seem good and the motor seems to stay cool. However, top speed probably is old around 20mph if i had to guess.

I wouldnt mind bumping it up some IF it wont hurt my low end performance or heat the motor up too much. What are you guys with 16/17/19t brushed motors running for gearing? I was thinking 14/87 or 14/84 might be a real good setup that would get me 4 or 5 more mph on the top side. I have a 16t pinion. I may try 16/87 just to see how it does, but id rather be slightly undergeared than overgeared. Any suggestions? Thanks

Eric
    - Savage - MGT Pulling Truck - Losi LST2 - Brushless Blitz - RC10GT (getting a 2.5) - Brushless T4 - Sportwerks Mayhem Pro

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

16/87 will be fine, even for offroad. I think that is stock gearing with the Titan 12T. It might be 16/90 though.

Just to be safe, check the motor temp after a couple of runs and every so often until you're 100% sure.

Even if it gets hot, you'll catch it before any damage is done.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am looking to upgrade to some hotter motors than the stock 12T. Could someone remind me what is the lowest Turn motor the Stock XL5 esc can handle?
    Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Jeremy Z

16/87 will be fine, even for offroad. I think that is stock gearing with the Titan 12T. It might be 16/90 though.

Just to be safe, check the motor temp after a couple of runs and every so often until you're 100% sure.

Even if it gets hot, you'll catch it before any damage is done.
    Stock XL-5 gearing is 19/86. Too high which is why most titans bite the dust. I like a lot of torque. Im gonna try the 16t though, and i may drop down to 14t if i think it will be a happy medium. I ran my old setup 13/87 which was just a little quicker than it is now. I have an 84t spur which would bring me back to about the same as 13/87, but i think that still may be a touch low. I still havent really gotten to run this thing on dry ground though, so ill have to do some more running when it gets nicer out.

Also, my charger and batteries came today, but no one was here so they didnt drop it off Looks like ill be going to the post office tomorrow morning to pick it up. At least I will have it tomorrow though

Eric

Eric
    - Savage - MGT Pulling Truck - Losi LST2 - Brushless Blitz - RC10GT (getting a 2.5) - Brushless T4 - Sportwerks Mayhem Pro

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think the original Stampedes were 19/86. They had problems with burning out Titans, and I think they went to a 90T spur after that. I believe mine's a 90T spur, but I'm too lazy to get up, hobble over there and take it apart at the moment.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tower states the XL-5 pede has 19/86 gearing. Im almost positive my pede with the stinger stock was 18/87 when i built it as a kit back in the day.

I tried 16/87 tonight. It wasnt too bad, but its a little high. Seems just as a general rule of thumb that the pinion needs to be at least 2 teeth less than the motor turn rating on a pede or rustler. I have always been one to gear my electrics fairly low anyways, and i dont like it when they take off real linear. I like for some wheelie/tire spinning action. Anyways, put it back to 12/86 for now, but i may jump to a 14 tooth pinion later on. Just depends on how my top speed is compared to the blitz. Supposedly the blitz goes about 30mph stock, so we'll see.

Eric

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Wheelnut

I am looking to upgrade to some hotter motors than the stock 12T. Could someone remind me what is the lowest Turn motor the Stock XL5 esc can handle?
    Thanks
    anyone?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks
    anyone?
    http://www.traxxas.com/products/acce...ories_escs.htm

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice link, thanks very much. I have book marked it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok, have a question on changing a rear axle on the stampede...  There is a connector (acts like a U joint) which is a ball with 4 spikes that have to be connected to the axle and the plastic piece that has the shaft that the wheel bolts onto...

So my questions is, how are you supposed to install that metal piece with the spikes?  I managed to get it in with two pliers and a screwdriver, but I just felt like I was really stretching pieces farther than I should have been, so was wondering if there is a easier way to do it.

Donnie

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There is a tool traxxas makes to put them in with, but all it is is a special pry bar to open up the yoke to let the u-joint fit into it. A screwdriver probably works about as well. That is really the only way to do it. You have to pry it to get it in there.

Eric

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Any idea what they call that tool? or do you have a link to it? I would liket t see it.
    I remember when I replaced the drive shafts on my E-Maxx, it was a real pain to put those things together. They could have done that at the factory.

any of you guys running the newer version in the snow?
    looking to see how well they do

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: monsterbrad

any of you guys running the newer version in the snow?
    looking to see how well they do
    Well, in general, 2WD sucks in the snow. The rear end always wants to come around. If you have good throttle control and the snow isn't too deep, it does OK.

As for water and that stuff, it is fine.

Spray the fasteners with WD-40 every few runs to keep the iron worm off. (it is much worse from salt spray in the street)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Any idea what they call that tool? or do you have a link to it? I would liket t see it.
    I remember when I replaced the drive shafts on my E-Maxx, it was a real pain to put those things together. They could have done that at the factory.
    Its the wide shiney thing on the left with the slot in the end. Really its just a glorified pry bar. It doesent make the job easy by any means, but maybe easier than using pliars:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGBJ1&P=7

Eric

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My son's been running his XL-5 in the snow since christmas, some real tires with a smaller pinion we dropped to a 16T really made snow going not much of a problem. Ijust make sure he drys it off as best as he can, and other than a few screw heads showing some rust, truck hasn't missed a beat...
    Mine - Spec Slash
    Son\'\'s - Stampede

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks, I think I have one of those.

I just remembered that I got so frustrated after trying it myself for about 30 min, that I took it to my LHS and got the owner to help me. He was holding on to one part while I was holding on to the other and it was so hard we could barely get it together.